Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2018.. yes 2018! collection goals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
With just over a month left in the year many of us are focused on the holidays. thought I'd get this going again. Hope to see some of you have made progress on your goals this year.

Alot has changed for me personally this year but I was able to blast through some of these and really make progress. My next years goals will be subdued comparably

I'll list mine in no particular order.

GOAL 1) I want to FINISH AT least 2 of the sets I'm working on. down to 3 cards or less in 4 sets.

PROGRESS) I finished as of yesterday 4 sets. 2001, 2003, 2004 (waiting on the last card and 2005 sweet spot signatures.
https://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/showthread.php/156251-2001-sweet-spot-set-progress-completed*

https://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/showthread.php/158266-2003-sweet-spot-signatures-complete*

**no 2004 thread yet**

https://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/showthread.php/155932-2005-sweet-spot-signatures-**complete**

Goal 2) stay focused. I got a little off track with main PC pickups being slow and grabbed up a bunch of stuff I'll probably end up selling in the near future.

PROGRESS) Didnt stay as focused as I'd have liked. another haniger rainbow, star autos and topps living set (which has lost its luster to me ($15 a week is money well spent elsewhere)

3) get re-supplied and have everything encased, labeled and team bagged. I was at about 95% for a month and I keep falling backwards.

Progress) Everything is cased and team bagged. and I have extra supplies for a while. newer stuff isn't labeled but at least protected and stored properly. win

4) this is the year I finally grab a Harper auto. overdue But I may just bite the bullet finally.

PROGRESS) "she's a beaut Clark"
attachment.php

5) Did I say stay focused!!? I love the stuff I have but between starting a new spahn pc, haniger rainbow, star autographs of today's young stars and grabbing a few things I thought were needed, I spent double what I should have. Stick to my sets or a hof patch once in a while and I feel I should be good.

6) get back in the gym and lose some weight. my knees and back hurt and my 20 yr reunion is this year, so why not?

Progress) hit the weights, clothes fit much better, pants are loose. weight stayed about the same. hit new PR in several lifts over the course of 4 months. 20 year reunion was a hit. couldn't ask for more to be honest, I'm no cover model but I feel great

anyone?

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Over half way through the year so I guess its time for an update.

1. Made a ton of progress on this. Added shelving for displays and in my closet for storage. Still work to be done though.
2. Haven't added any this year. Man these are hard to find!
3. Puckett autos that I don't have are tough to find and very expensive. I did manage to add a signed Wheaties box though so I'm counting that as progress.
4. Added 1 so far. Hopefully I can wrap this up soon.
5. Right now I'm at 50% for 2018 and 60% for 2017. I have been picking away that this but its down to mainly low numbered stuff now.

Anyone else have an update to share?

Not of ton of updates to share.

1. Haven't done much more with this yet. I need to go through some of my older stuff and get rid of a lot of it. I have a ton of beat up mass production era cards that I will probably just throw out at this point.
2. Still 0 exhibits added this year.
3. I haven't added any autos yet and probably won't.
4. This one I actually did complete so that is progress.
5. I am at 66% for 2017 and 51% for 2018. Most of the cards I need are extremely low number but I still have a few to pick away at to close the gap.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
UPDATES

1. Per usual try to find 3 of my Jeff Cirillo needs
-Think I found 2 this year. There’s still time!

2. Submit more to PSA for my Sveum collection and work on a graded ‘87 Topps Brewers team set (get to at least 75%) as I continue to get closer to death while desperately trying to hold on to the memories of my youth
-Submitted a few from each collection but didn’t get close to 75% on the team set

3. Upgrade at least 10 autographs from my all-time Brewers Collection (currently need to upgrade 28 for sure)
-Goal met here, have a few more to go and need to move on to upgrading a few balls to flats next year

4. Don’t start any new projects
-mostly met? Kinda. I’m bad at this.

5. Stay cigarette free
-Heck yeah, over one year without a smoke!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Progress Update:

1. Find the 6 Jeff Frye cards I need to get to 100% complete on both Beckett and SCF's checklists.
-- No joy. All 6 continue to elude me. I did add 11 of the 74 IP auto'd base cards I need this year.

2. Decide exactly how I'm going to proceed with my Ozzie Smith and Jeff Bagwell PCs.
-- I made a decision on the Bagwell collection and I'm in the process of building my checklist. I'm still mulling over what to do about Ozzie.

3. Complete my '80s RC want list.
-- Hahahahahahaha not even close. If anything I just added more to it as the year went.

4. Complete my '80s Cardinals RC want list
-- I actually made some headway here. I only need 9 more cards and none of them are hard to find. I might push to finish this one off by the end of the year.

5. Start on my '70s Cardinals RC want list.
-- I did start on this so there's that I guess. I didn't get much further than grabbing a 1971 Topps Ted Simmons, 1977 Topps Bruce Sutter, and a 1977 Topps Joaquin Andujar though.

6. Complete the 1968 Topps Game set I started this week.
-- Still a long way to go on this one. I may just decide to shelve it actually. The appeal died for some reason.

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Grim statement, but you know, I can relate. Also congrats on the smoke free year.

UPDATES

2. Submit more to PSA for my Sveum collection and work on a graded ‘87 Topps Brewers team set (get to at least 75%) as I continue to get closer to death while desperately trying to hold on to the memories of my youth

5. Stay cigarette free
-Heck yeah, over one year without a smoke!

2018 Collecting Goals. I don't think I ever formally set any, but there's only really one goal. Improve the Alomar PC. Which I did. Added a lot of cards. Nothing from the white whale list, but I did get some that I never thought I'd see. Plus a couple that I never knew existed. So it was a good year collection wise. Looking forward to see what 2019 brings...

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
1) For the HOF manager line-up card collection - Pick up a 3-5 more lineup cards signed by HOF managers including at least one from the "top" of my list (would love to pick up a Stengel Yankees lineup card or an old Connie Mack signed card).

2) For the Jackie Robinson/Integration Collection - Would love to pick up a Jackie Robinson ***** League signed baseball. Also looking to pick up programs/materials related to Jackie's barnstorming tours, and other interesting items that tell the integration story. May look to move an item or two that are pretty cool, but not necessarily the core of my collection.

3) For the ***** League contract collection - Pick up 1-2 more ***** League contracts of either HOF'ers or significant non-HOF players.

4) WWII-baseball collection - Find WWII-baseball items related to Hank Greenberg as well as Bob Feller.

5) Sell off items that are outside of my collecting focus or are "non-essentials." Even within my areas of focus I've definitely picked up some items that are interesting, but not really the sweet spot of my collection.

1) I was able to pick up some great lineup cards this year. Key ones were:
-Connie Mack signed 1934 A’s lineup card in which Jimmie Foxx hit a homerun
- Casey Stengel signed 1955 Yankees lineup card from an exhibition game they played in Hawaii after the season
- Walter Johnson signed 1933 lineup card
- Don Sutton final win lineup card

2) picked up a couple of programs from the 1946 Bob Feller All-stars tour. On the tour he ofte faced off with Satchell Paige and teams of players from the ***** Leagues. A bit peripheral but I like finding items relating to barnstorming tours

3) No new ***** league contracts

4) picked up a 1945 Navy All-stars program
Signed by Musial but was over all pretty quiet on this front

5) sold off a bit but not as much as I would have liked

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I'm just excited when I find anything I need for my player collections. I sometimes go months without buying anything.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I started business school full time, so I didn't want to make formal goals when I knew my time would be so divided. However, I did add to the Thomas PC and did enough damage that it should garner a "Top 10" list for the year.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I started business school full time, so I didn't want to make formal goals when I knew my time would be so divided. However, I did add to the Thomas PC and did enough damage that it should garner a "Top 10" list for the year.

What did ya get?? I add something (usually small potatoes from COMC) about every other day. No major additions in the past few months, though.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
1. Complete 1965-68 and 1970s Yankees team sets ― need 20 cards.
Only 1 card from these years, didn't make it to many shows.

2. Complete 2001-09 Topps Heritage Yankees team sets ― need 9 cards.
Down to just 3, 2003 Duncan, 2006 Arod & Randy Johnson

3. Add 52 Paul O'Neill cards to reach the 760 mark of 1060 from Yankee years
Added a dozen rarer cards including SportzCubz, didn't pursue easier common GU/autos for the sake of numbers

4. Add 12 quality singles to the collection ― autographs, vintage graded, or inserts
Not quite 12 but added 7-8 cards, including 1/1s. Overall happy with progress here

5. Create custom card set featuring 6 Yankees on Seinfeld
No progress here, not happy with my older design.

6. Clear out the trade box -- down to around 500 cards remaining
Some progress, sold maybe 150 or so cards. Down to 300-400. Making a push now to clear out more things.

7. Organize my high-end collection better, store in uniform magnetic holders/bags
Pretty much done.

8. Continue to sell off accumulated things from around my office, garage and basement
Did quite well here, sold off random figures/bobbleheads, books, etc. Down to one Bankers Box of stuff left to sell.

Overall, happy with additions. Focused on quality over quantity, added many SP from recent Topps years and vintage Yankee stars.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
What did ya get?? I add something (usually small potatoes from COMC) about every other day. No major additions in the past few months, though.

Took awhile, but I finished my top 10 list for 2018. Here's the write-up I shared on facebook.

Despite severely reducing my expenditure on cards in 2018, I was able to have a respectable year of pick ups; so much so that I struggled to complete my top 10 list this year. Not pictured today are huge additions to my serial number 35 collection and rainbows I’ve been building since well before 2018, including several one-of-ones, but they didn’t quite make the cut for any number of reasons. In fact, only a single one-of-one made the list, but that’s pretty typical for me. I tend to rank the stuff from my childhood more highly. Surprisingly, my top 3 are all cards I’ve been searching for longer than most; it’s rare that I knock off 3 early cards from my want list in one year.

10. 1998 Hamburger Helper Home Run Heroes Prototype #8
I found this card on COMC by complete chance. It was miss-listed with hand-cut versions that came from retail packages of Hamburger Helper in the summer of 1998, and while I had once seen a Mike Piazza prototype, I had never run across any other players. I already had several examples of the retail version; a complete unopened box, flattened box, and a few cut copies. Notably, this prototype is printed on white card stock, is sheet cut, has cropping differences on the front image, and differing alignment and copyright information on the reverse.
img491.jpg

9. 1997 Upper Deck/Bandai Design Your Own Trading Card #27
I essentially know nothing about this card, other than that it was a Japanese-only promotion. I vaguely recall seeing an image of it in a full color Beckett article, or some other hobby publication, but haven’t found the article yet and may be misremembering. While it’s about as ugly as they come, I couldn’t pass up this crazy oddball piece and look forward to finding out more about its origins and the contest in the future.
30822181_10104527284936821_3111657938834078630_o.jpg

8. 2001 Donruss Production Line On-Base % Die Cut #PL-7
While it’s not the scarcest of early millennium releases, it’s beautiful and was the last die cut I needed to finish my run. Another example recently popped up on eBay just before the new year and had I needed it still, I’d have grabbed it when I saw it pop up…so it would have been in the 2018 collection come hell or high water. I’m thankful to Brandt Spriggs for selling me this copy so that I could put the issue to bed.
28336379_10104373946448381_8760549389232629551_o.jpg

7. 2007 Topps Moments & Milestones Red one-of-one #106-35
This is a card I’d been searching for since release, and when another collector found it, I was happy to see it and good with the thought of it being in his type collection of cards featuring Frank with rebar; however, when he decided to break up the collection, I was stoked for the chance to own it. Of the three M&M releases featuring Frank, this image is my favorite – followed by the 2008 home run edition with Frank in an A’s uniform – and my love affair with “35” made this the copy to own. Other key reds (500 or other 35s) are claimed in collections already, so this was likely the only chance I had to grab a key red. In my opinion, it’s the “best” red.
Frank Thomas - 2007 Topps Moments and Milestones 106-35R (F-B).jpg

6. 1999 UD Choice Starquest Gold #SQ17
Traditionally, a card from 1999 numbered to 100 wouldn’t be as difficult as the Starquest Gold, but extremely slim odds made unlikely by the gaudy production numbers of Upper Deck’s affordable Choice release made this card a long play pick up for me. While there is currently a copy available on eBay – and the 035/100 copy to boot – it and my copy are the only copies I recall seeing available in the last decade. Unfortunately, the 035/ is horribly priced and appears to be damaged from a lifetime in an acrylic slab.
33399233_10104577203399821_8067731650445836288_n.jpg

5. 1998 Leaf Rookies and Chase (Stars) Standing Ovations SAMPLE #4
I’ve been attempting to put the ’98 Rookies and Stars samples to rest for ages, and when this tough card popped up for a very reasonable BIN this fall, I couldn’t have pulled the trigger more quickly. I think I love these three samples because of the change in release name which the MLB forced because they claimed “Rookies and Chase” sounded too much like gambling. Let’s be honest, ripping any pack is a form of gambling. I still need one more sample of the three made for Frank, the “Major League Hard Drives” edition.
img493.jpg

4. 1994 Topps Finest Protector Sample
Several prints of this card have come to market over the course of the last 3 years, but patience paid off and I acquired this copy for a much better price than previous sales. I first saw a protector sample of another player some 15 years ago, and held hope that a Frank existed. Thankfully it does. Now I’m crossing my fingers that refractors exist.
26733754_10104278719573801_7203183069500187154_n.jpg

3. 1991 O-Pee-Chee Pre-Production Sample Sheet
This was one of my first purchases of 2018, and I knew it would be at the crown of my top 10 list for the year. At the time, I couldn’t imagine acquiring anything that would surpass it on the list, but somehow I found two things. I purchased this sheet sight unseen via friends and family with a complete stranger from Canada. I wasn’t even provided a scan; just the seller’s word that he had one more copy in his collection meant to be cut up and sold individually. Thankfully I saved it from that fate. The wait felt terribly long, but it arrived in a well-protected, timely manner.
26814816_10104283682268521_3704210517377427958_n.jpg

2. 1987 Pan Am Blue with period signature and rare “#36” inscription
I’d have been happy just to find a copy of this card with a period signature, but have also long searched for a signature on anything that included his Team USA jersey number “36”. The fact that I found the inscription on this particular release made it a more than critical addition to my early auto collection.
37101500_10104685569338611_382261164609896448_n.jpg

1. 1992 Donruss Super Diamond Kings #DK-8
It almost feels cliché to name this card my number one pick up for 2018, but I’m not sure how I can’t. Obviously we all know the magnitude of the card and its scarcity, but what’s most important about this addition for me is that it completes a pair from my earliest of want lists. This card and the 1992 Donruss Elite 00035/10000 example were the pinnacle of acquisitions to me in my youth; at age 35, I can say I have both, and in great condition to boot.
img488b.jpg

Members online