User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever just see a card or item outside of your norm and decide you need one too?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you ever just see a card or item outside of your norm and decide you need one too?

I was thinking about this, as one of the more enjoyable reasons that I spend time on these card related boards is to view pictures (and hear about) items others collect. Sometimes the stories add to the experience, but viewing items is the real joy. After all, I can't possible see or know about everything. I used to buy the annual almanac/guides and just read about the new (and old) sets that I had never come across.

I really wish more people would share scans of some of the more unique items that they come across, along with a description of the issue.

Anyway, every so often I will see something that I don't consider to fall into my primary collecting interests, but something about it drives me to want one. It may be how a card or item looks (design), a team represented, a player in a unique setting or a variety of other reasons. I think this happens quite often for me personally, because I have always been a very visual collector. If I look the way something looks, I will want to obtain it.

Here is a recent pick up, although I do collect autographs of just about any variety, so this is not a perfect example. I had Vizquel numerous times, but I guess I never realized he played for the Blue Jays! I saw it and along with a nice design, I felt I needed to have this exact card, although I was not aware of it prior and was not looking for any Vizquel autographs.

This comes from the 2017 Archives issue and is numbered to 15 copies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	75721

This is a much better example for my collection. I do collect oddball items, but never knew this existed until someone posted one. I just had to have one at that point and was lucky enough to find one, the only one I have ever seen offered for sale, and it was autographed as well. DOUBLE SCORE!!

This is a card that was apparently issued if you joined the Bubblicious Baseball club around 1987-88.

Name:	Unknown.jpeg 
Views:	136 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	75722

Treat us to some items that we might not have ever seen before that you just had to own after seeing them for the first time.
    Last edited by mrmopar; 12-30-2017 at 03:44 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never knew the Blue Jays connection. Thx for sharing.

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    ALWAYS LOOKING FOR ODDBALL, REGIONAL, TEAM ISSUED, VARIATIONS, AND TOUGH CARDS OF WILL CLARK AND MIKE BROWN

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was my favorite moment from the 2009 World Series. I have a few copies of the Heritage card, but wanted an autographed copy. I started searching and this came up and I had to have it.

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	333.4 KB 
ID:	75724

Scott F
    Mariano Rivera Super Collector. Always buying rare Mo's - PSA's, Auto's, Patches, Printing Plates, or any other rare Mo's. I PAY MORE THAN ANYONE FOR MARIANO'S I NEED.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had basically lost all interest in Jersey/bat/relic cards until I saw these things. They are kind of ridiculous but I had to have one. Then two, then three...

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't even want to know what those would cost. I would want one if a favorite player was included, but the cost of the added players and the added competition (24 different players on that top one) would make that a frustrating issue to chase. Congrats.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a real focus, especially for baseball stuff, so I'm always getting something 'cuz it looks great!
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

RagingAcid
     @RagingAcid
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gjb70 View Post
    I had basically lost all interest in Jersey/bat/relic cards until I saw these things. They are kind of ridiculous but I had to have one. Then two, then three...

that top one looks fantastic..

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    I don't even want to know what those would cost. I would want one if a favorite player was included, but the cost of the added players and the added competition (24 different players on that top one) would make that a frustrating issue to chase. Congrats.
    Thanks, it was actually kind of a cheap way to pick up a lot of relic cards at once. The patch versions (like in the Puckett thread) are /10 and much more, but these are /99, and aren't too bad at auction. Unfortunately, most on eBay are listed crazy high despite auction prices. Plus I got very lucky on the bottom one, listed as a BIN/BO for about half what they usually go for.

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have. the flawless spahn patches were a great example of this for me. I saw the first one and HAD to have it. moved to five star autos of a few select stars as well because the look is great imo.
    "Avoid the clap" - Jimmy Dugan

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big fan of the show, picked this up when first released. Someone made a offer i couldnt refuse had to let it go.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did that myself with a Spahn. I bought this card because I liked the simple design and action shot. Turns out it was my first and only Spahn certified auto. Sometimes you lose track...

Name:	s-l225.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	75847
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelstepper View Post
    I have. the flawless spahn patches were a great example of this for me. I saw the first one and HAD to have it. moved to five star autos of a few select stars as well because the look is great imo.

aarne13
     Aarne13
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang! That's a nice auto. I didn't know Vizquel had an auto as a Bluejay.... one more to the shopping list...
    Blue Jays Collection

Collecting- Marcus Knecht, John Olerud, certified Jays autos
    Also looking for 2007 Bowman Chrome Shane Benson Gold Refractors Currently have 25/50.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i collected these for a while. after looking at the pics i need to dig them out. have no clue where they are but they're here somewhere.

dsj51
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome barrels!!

Kryslarry
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingAcid View Post
    that top one looks fantastic..
    Who is the player on the middle card claiming to be Cal Ripken? Just above the Sandberg on the 16 player card.
    Come to the dark side. We have cookies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast