Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does this stuff bother anyone else as much as it bothers me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I hate scumbags. Stuff like this drives me crazy, and I completely understand why some pro athletes don’t sign for fans.

f78b49b07faac66e6f2691fc77031a78.jpg

d582da8c21b24159213e34e9e63054b5.jpg

Hopefully Klay, Steph and KD see this.

28c3b73174f9b80a1941218f2ec674e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
People like this guy, and the ones who hang out in airports are literally the scrounge of the Earth in my opinion.

They make all collectors look bad.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
People like this guy, and the ones who hang out in airports are literally the scrounge of the Earth in my opinion.

They make all collectors look bad.
people hang out at airports? I never thought of that. Just get off a flight and then hounded for a auto. nice.......

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Yup, anytime I go somewhere and see an adult with multiple items and no kid(s) I immediately think this is the kind of crap they are doing. I'm not sure why any athletes sign for anyone other than kids in person. I'm sure some horrible "person" has sent a solo kid in with multiple items just to sell for things like this.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This really is a tough subject. So many different thoughts and ideas on it. Star players are made rich and famous from the fans that follow their careers. A lot of those stars in turn then make obtaining a signature damn next to impossible unless you are jobless and can spend insane amount of time chasing the players or rich to be able to afford them at any price. Some worry about what recipients do with the autographs and adjust their signing habits because of this. Then you had guys like Bob Feller who just signed anything and everything.

I would love to have some big name players on specific items, but the cost would be astronomical. It really shouldn't be that way in my opinion, but it is.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I don't think it's right at all, that said I'd be annoyed if players stopped signing for fans because of this too. I mean dude isn't really hurting u personally. KD has more money than all of us will ever have combined so I don't know why he'd care either

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Yeah it isn’t so black and white for me either. I understand how it feels dirty but at the same time if real fans are ending up with legitimate (vs forged) autographs in the end I don’t think it’s all terrible. I consign with guys to get player autographs pretty regularly and it’s a win for both of us. I don’t have the time or easy location access and to me those players are still signing an autograph for a fan. Granted I’m not paying that kind of change for anyone, really just $5-$10 for someone’s time.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
These type of guys can still be forgers (who use 1 pic to of a real signing to look legit) red flags aplenty!

players- They don't know the players personally (would be different if they worked for the team or hotel etc) yet believe they can get the job done each time! Seems like 3 of the most popular players who get swarmed constantly wouldn't be too consistent.

volume- no limit! no limit???? If I were running a legitimate business like this I would cap the orders on each player at under 5 because what are the odds the player will sign all 75 items. If the crowd of people was 400 deep and everyone wanted a third of 75 items signed, think of how many hours that would take??

location-
Houston x2
Golden State (the writing is confusing. . are they talking about going here or the team?)
Phoenix
Sacramento
Oklahoma

I guess they're also banking on getting their auto on the road a lot. idk.

edit: I'm not saying for certain this is a scam, its just a very risky proposition to me. . . I mean come on, 2/3 of those players are going to be HOFers. It would be the baseball equivalent of being able to land Jeter/Mariano autos in high volume back when the Yanks were a dynasty.

Last edited:

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
This subject is also trench warfare for me as well. As athletes, it's your decision on whether or not you wish to sign autographs, but honest fans are alienated. As a fan or dealer, you expect every athlete is going to bend the knee and sign.

What happens is that both sides of the coin are bent. A good majority of star athletes treat most autograph collectors as if they're a bunch of no good; misfit dealers. The dealers on the other side of the coin expect their items to be signed and will actually stalk players and pay off kids in order to achieve the goal. Both sides are in the wrong. As athletes, you cannot assume that everyone is a dealer and as fans, you cannot expect every athlete to sign for you. There's a right way and a wrong way to honor autograph requests as an athlete and as fans, you need to live with athletes turning you down. Athletes are there to work, not sign autographs. I've seen countless times where fans label athletes with derogatory labels for not picking up a Sharpie and signing their name. Civility needs to be restored because it's gotten out of hand.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
This subject is also trench warfare for me as well. As athletes, it's your decision on whether or not you wish to sign autographs, but honest fans are alienated. As a fan or dealer, you expect every athlete is going to bend the knee and sign.

What happens is that both sides of the coin are bent. A good majority of star athletes treat most autograph collectors as if they're a bunch of no good; misfit dealers. The dealers on the other side of the coin expect their items to be signed and will actually stalk players and pay off kids in order to achieve the goal. Both sides are in the wrong. As athletes, you cannot assume that everyone is a dealer and as fans, you cannot expect every athlete to sign for you. There's a right way and a wrong way to honor autograph requests as an athlete and as fans, you need to live with athletes turning you down. Athletes are there to work, not sign autographs. I've seen countless times where fans label athletes with derogatory labels for not picking up a Sharpie and signing their name. Civility needs to be restored because it's gotten out of hand.

Its a free market and if someone wants to pay these stupid prices for a rushed, illegible signature that could have been signed by Steph Curry or Jim Curry then so be it. I remember back in the '70's hanging outside of Wrigley Field getting autographs of visiting players for myself and being overjoyed that Mike Schmidt stopped for a moment and signed for me. The autograph I received probably would never pass authentication as it looks nothing like something he signed before but I know he signed it as I watched him. If the autograph is just a terrible example of used ink I have no doubt this simple act would remove many potential buyers out of the market. So the simple solution for the player is to give an in person autograph that looks like crap while reserving the good autograph for charities, team events and paid signings. Probably not the most ideal situation but it might work.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Its a free market and if someone wants to pay these stupid prices for a rushed, illegible signature that could have been signed by Steph Curry or Jim Curry then so be it. I remember back in the '70's hanging outside of Wrigley Field getting autographs of visiting players for myself and being overjoyed that Mike Schmidt stopped for a moment and signed for me. The autograph I received probably would never pass authentication as it looks nothing like something he signed before but I know he signed it as I watched him. If the autograph is just a terrible example of used ink I have no doubt this simple act would remove many potential buyers out of the market. So the simple solution for the player is to give an in person autograph that looks like crap while reserving the good autograph for charities, team events and paid signings. Probably not the most ideal situation but it might work.

do you still have the Schmidt?

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
people hang out at airports? I never thought of that. Just get off a flight and then hounded for a auto. nice.......

I'd imagine an airport auto is hard or impossible for a current athlete. The leagues fly charter jets so I assume the players get on/off the jet at a secured private FBO area (not at a jetway at an airport terminal). If the current athletes travel while not with their team, I know some have their own private jets or likely do a private jet "timeshare" so I have to assume that's done in a FBO private area away from terminals.

The only graphing I can envision is to get former athletes who fly commercial when they are traveling.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I'd imagine an airport auto is hard or impossible for a current athlete. The leagues fly charter jets so I assume the players get on/off the jet at a secured private FBO area (not at a jetway at an airport terminal). If the current athletes travel while not with their team, I know some have their own private jets or likely do a private jet "timeshare" so I have to assume that's done in a FBO private area away from terminals.

The only graphing I can envision is to get former athletes who fly commercial when they are traveling.

Airport stalking is big for actors and pro wrestlers.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.

Agreed on the free market aspect. My comments were more directed towards the ridiculous generalizations and expectations on behalf of the athletes and dealers.

mburgin

Aug 11, 2008
at the end of the day who really cares. if people spent their time managing their own business instead of what everyone else is doing this would be a much better planet to live on.

if someone isn't bothering me i personally don't care what they are doing. if you screw me over, i will hunt you down like a dog and take care of business myself.

spend your money wisely is all i have to say.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
These type of guys can still be forgers (who use 1 pic to of a real signing to look legit) red flags aplenty!

players- They don't know the players personally (would be different if they worked for the team or hotel etc) yet believe they can get the job done each time! Seems like 3 of the most popular players who get swarmed constantly wouldn't be too consistent.

volume- no limit! no limit???? If I were running a legitimate business like this I would cap the orders on each player at under 5 because what are the odds the player will sign all 75 items. If the crowd of people was 400 deep and everyone wanted a third of 75 items signed, think of how many hours that would take??

location-
Houston x2
Golden State (the writing is confusing. . are they talking about going here or the team?)
Phoenix
Sacramento
Oklahoma

I guess they're also banking on getting their auto on the road a lot. idk.

edit: I'm not saying for certain this is a scam, its just a very risky proposition to me. . . I mean come on, 2/3 of those players are going to be HOFers. It would be the baseball equivalent of being able to land Jeter/Mariano autos in high volume back when the Yanks were a dynasty.

X1000

If I pay to have 10 jerseys signed and dude can only get 5 of them signed what then? Am I getting a refund for the 5 non-signed items (pre-pay) or is dude going to forge 5 and ask for full payment? If there is money to be made, ethics are the first thing to go.

Members online