Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Team Autograph Collecting - Getting the Count Updated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I think 2018 may be the year that I finally get my autograph collection in order. I have been buying Dodger autographs for the last 10+ years in hopes of building a checklist and seeing how close I can come to completion. The LA side is complete except for a couple newer players and of course, they continually add to the list with new call ups and trades. The Brooklyn side is flat out impossible, but I figured I'd try to knock out the 30s-50s as close as I could and fill in older spots as I found and could afford them.

I compiled a spreadsheet list some time ago and finally finished it with columns for player name, achievements (this also includes job description for non-players), Year of death & age, years with the team, if they were LA/Bklyn or both and then columns for types of signatures (cuts, photos, etc). The list is not completely inclusive, but it is pretty darn close. I have all of the players, coaches and executives and many other key historical figures as well. A small sample is shown below.

The list is sitting at 1929 subjects.

Now I begin to go through the collection by auto type and fill in the inventory and see exactly where I sit. This will take a fair amount of time itself, as I have them all separated from one another by cards, 3x5, 3x5 photos, 5x7, 8x10, larger than 8x10 flats and then finally all non-flats.

I'll reveal the grand total when the inventory is complete!

Dodgers.PNG

Fun fact, there are 57 hall of Famers directly affiliated with the Dodgers by my count. These are players, managers and executives. There may be a few more misc (announcers, etc).

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
That’s some great organization! I can imagine the task seems daunting for a team like the trolley Dodgers but I’m guessing you will feel a great deal of satisfaction when you finish the list up. The process of making and filling in the spreadsheet will keep you engaged with your awesome collection and within a couple of years you’ll probably find yourself thinking thank god I did that when I did

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

packbusta

Aug 15, 2010
How do most team collectors come across the majority of their autographs? Is it worth it to sell lots of IP autos on eBay?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have traded signed items for other signed items, but mostly I buy. I am too lazy to deal with TTM and I have had very few IP opportunities. I have bought the address books/lists a few times, but never actually do any sending. Part of the issue is having most of the common stuff buried or packed away, so if I needed a simple Doug Rau or Todd Worrell card to send, finding it becomes a hassle.

When it comes to buying, I of course welcome larger team lots, because most of the time you don't want to mess around with single items and pay shipping. I will buy multiple items from eBay sellers to save on shipping, whenever possible, and don't mind duplicates from larger lots.

How do most team collectors come across the majority of their autographs? Is it worth it to sell lots of IP autos on eBay?

Fron a seller perspective, it may not be the best way to capitalize on your items by bunching them up in lots, but when it comes to common signatures that everyone has, you almost need to batch them in order to actually sell them.