Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

New Year Night Crew Ep. 2018-01

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Very nice autos! :) Twins are starting to look like a dangerous team in the 2020s

Looks like Stipe exposed Ngannou a bit tonight. It shows how thin the UFC Heavyweight division has been historically when a part timer is the longest reigning champ :lol:

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Nah. Just couldn't get interested in it. Lost interest in fighting when Tyson retired. I've tried to watch it but just doesn't do anything for me.

Yeah I'm surprised it has as big of a following as it does. The striking side is too violent for most, whereas the grappling side is too chess-like (read: boring :-| ) for most.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I am still thinking about the "monthly deal" idea on here, perhaps a good rule is the deal must be at least 20% off Ebay sale value. I might do the Whitey Ford auto I was talking about to start, but only regular posters on this thread can accept.

Who do you guys think will win the Super Bowl? I say Patriots.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I think the deal of the month would be cool. I would hope we would get a little more traffic though before we set it in stone. Unfortunately, I think the Patriots will roll on to their 6th championship. I was hoping it would be the Vikings but oh well.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I was really bummed the Jags couldn't seal the deal, I'm not a Pat's fan and it's going to be horrible around here for awhile listening to how wonderful they are.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I'm happy for all 4 of them and their fans I think they each were deserving inclusions.
I really hope they do something with the voting, this system sucks. I really don't know if it's better but I'd like to see something similar to the football system, where it's more like survival rounds. That has it's flaws too, but it's certainly time for a change.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Some ballots have 10 names, some have no names! (protest) :lol:

This was the 2nd or maybe 3rd year I wasn't bothered that Edgar didn't get in because (to me) the HOF doesn't have much credibility left. Out of fans/players/managers/writers/owners/mathematicians the writers are the least valuable There needs to be a new HOF where fans and players are a big part of the voting and criteria is more clear than mud.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Any eligible voter who submits a ballot with zero names on it should have their voting privileges taken away forever.

There are clearly people up for election who deserve it, and to not vote for at least one of them for whatever reason they give is complete bullsh*t.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I don’t think Edgar Martinez deserves it.

I'm curious, how do you feel about closers. I forget if it was here, another forum or maybe an ESPN writer that argued a DH is very similar to a closer in that they tend to be one dimensional. I still despise the DH as a whole but it did put that into perspective for me because I think closers certainly have a place in the hall.
Given that Edgar started at the hot corner then moved to a different position he was best suited for i think he deserves a vote...and I suppose that means in four years people should vote for Ortiz using my logic.
Back to the original point, so you think edgar Martinez just wasn't good enough at his position or is it anti dh?

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I would say the difference in DH vs CL: Most players in the hall get 95-100% of their WAR from offense, and a lot have negative dWAR. Sure there are some combo guys but mostly crappy mashers, Manny would have gotten in if not PEDs and Jeter will be first ballot shoo in (and deserving of it)

I wonder how many would compare Edgar Martinez to Derek Jeter. One a terrible defender (who should have been DHing at some point but I guess ego got in the way) the other an average defender who ends up DHing after 30% of his career. In terms of hitting Edgar was way better overall, Jeter had better longevity/ games played.

So where DHs can still get a high value from their hitting, Closers are basically 1/4 of a starter and get a few advantages built in (gets to throw harder, doesn't face lineup 3x times so deceptive pitches work better etc) but a few have maximized that advantage and have delivered the goods. They should be in the HOF but its more confusing to draw the line.

Members online

Latest posts