User Tag List

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 138

Thread: HOF '18 Results (43%)

  1. #91
    Senior Member alexs64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Moreno Valley, Ca
    Posts
    12,315
     alexarmijo2009
     @AlexGArmijo
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gracecollector View Post
    Why not? The hall of fame has a character clause. It absolutely should keep him off ballots.
    I guess it is a good thing Gracie got in before the DUI huh?
    Alex: Andre Ethier SUPER COLLECTOR

    FLICKR: Andre Ethier PC

    YouTube Channel: Alex Armijo


  2. #92
    Senior Member gracecollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Huntley, IL
    Posts
    6,188
     gracecollector
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexs64 View Post
    I guess it is a good thing Gracie got in before the DUI huh?
    Gracie isn't in the HOF, nor should he be.

  3. #93
    Senior Member DeliciousBacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Warwick, RI
    Posts
    3,264
     deliciousbacon666
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbone17 View Post
    Schilling is a Hall of Famer. The guy's postseason dominance and overall dominance speaks for itself. The writers love to invoke the "Character Clause" to keep those out who don't mirror their perfect view of the world. In that case, we might as well keep Roberto Alomar out for spitting on an umpire. Mickey Mantle was a womanizer and drank too much, as was others. Schilling isn't liked because he's a boisterous Conservative and plans to run as a State Senator in Liberal Massachusetts. What else is new...
    Schilling isn't liked because he's a racist piece of ****. That's not a liberal vs. conservative issue, that's an issue of just being a bad person. I'd say the HOF character clause can be invoked for racism, and this is coming from a guy who WAS one of the biggest Schilling fans and collectors around.
    I'm DelBacon on Sportlots, tons of great cards!

    1K+ Club - Top Player Collections (as of 10/13/17): 1. Glaus: 2093 - 2. Rolen: 1653 - 3. Thome: 1599 - 4. Helton: 1504 - 5. Garciaparra: 1437 - 6. L. Walker: 1287 - 7. D. Ortiz: 1265 - 8. R. Palmeiro: 1223 - 9. Biggio: 1054 - 10. Edmonds: 1038 - 11. A. Beltre: 1003

  4. #94
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Riverlands.
    Posts
    6,412
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeliciousBacon View Post
    Schilling isn't liked because he's a racist piece of ****. That's not a liberal vs. conservative issue, that's an issue of just being a bad person. I'd say the HOF character clause can be invoked for racism, and this is coming from a guy who WAS one of the biggest Schilling fans and collectors around.
    Yes, Schilling's character is certainly called into question. Not disagreeing there. I just don't buy into the logic that keeps him out. It's called the Baseball Hall of Fame, not the Character Hall of Fame. Certainly character is weighed when it comes to voting, but the Hall of Fame has a bunch of womanizers, blatant cheaters and racists, etc. We need to look at the totality of circumstances and performance must be at the forefront. Going by the numbers and competitive pedigree, Schilling is a slam dunk HOF'er and that's where the door gets closed as far as I'm concerned. I don't care if the man shouts racist sentiments from a rooftop. That's his business.
    R.I.P. Harmon Clayton Killebrew June 29, 1936-May 17, 2011 You will surely be missed!

  5. #95
    Senior Member JVHaste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,362
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @death2redemptions

    thanks for updating...

    I don't think you'll see me watch a Sex and the City marathon anytime soon, that show really spooked me out as a kid. Ugly old ladies with witch faces talking about nasty subjects is no fun I swear when SJP says something repulsive they zoom in on her nose.


    iirc the reason I put a 6% in with the 5% category is to show the likely potential that they end up there, as the final ballots are always the protest guys who refuse to vote for anyone from the whole era that PEDs happen and leave a ballot blank.

  6. #96
    Junior Member forgerelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    348
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't even aware of Schilling being a racist, just one more character flaw on the pile for him and don't forget he swindled millions from the state of Rhode Island). Still doesn't mean he's not a hall of famer. There are dozens of racists already in, several of whom are suspected of being members of the KKK.

    Scott F
    Mariano Rivera Super Collector. Always buying rare Mo's - PSA's, Auto's, Patches, Printing Plates, or any other rare Mo's. I PAY MORE THAN ANYONE FOR MARIANO'S I NEED.

  7. #97
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
    I'll post the updated vote totals so that you don't have to put your Sex In The City binge watch on pause.

    45.8% of known ballots cast

    Likely 1st ballots

    Chipper Jones 98.5%
    Vlad Guerrero 94.8%
    Jim Thome 93.3%

    Would make it in if votes were final right now

    Edgar Martinez 80.9%
    Trevor Hoffman 77.8%

    Living on the edge

    Mike Mussina 73.2%
    Curt Shilling 65.5%
    Barry Bonds 64.9%
    Roger Clemens 64.9%

    Drop outs

    Johnny Damon 1.5%
    Johan Santana 1.5%

    I removed Andruw Jones from the drop outs list because he's actually still on pace to survive. Currently at 6.2% with 12 votes from the first 194 ballots cast. Needs 10 more votes from the (estimated) 232 ballots remaining to be cast. In all likelihood Schilling, Bonds & Clemens won't make it, as they all need over 190 votes to reach the 75% mark.
    Vlad's a 2nd ballot guy, just missed last year. I was totally bummed. Can't wait for the reveal tomorrow!

    *missed your first, my bad!
    Last edited by WillBBC; 01-23-2018 at 05:50 PM.

  8. #98
    Senior Member Mozzie22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,607
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeliciousBacon View Post
    Schilling isn't liked because he's a racist piece of ****. That's not a liberal vs. conservative issue, that's an issue of just being a bad person. I'd say the HOF character clause can be invoked for racism, and this is coming from a guy who WAS one of the biggest Schilling fans and collectors around.
    And Schilling is a racist how? Being a Conservative does not make you a racist despite what the liberal media may tell you.

    Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

  9. #99
    Senior Member alexs64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Moreno Valley, Ca
    Posts
    12,315
     alexarmijo2009
     @AlexGArmijo
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gracecollector View Post
    Gracie isn't in the HOF, nor should he be.
    Well there goes that. My bad.
    Alex: Andre Ethier SUPER COLLECTOR

    FLICKR: Andre Ethier PC

    YouTube Channel: Alex Armijo


  10. #100
    Senior Member Austin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Posts
    5,450
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBBC View Post
    Vlad's a 2nd ballot guy, just missed last year. I was totally bummed.
    It's ridiculous that last year many voters didn't think he was worthy but now suddenly 95% of them do.
    Voters who hold back votes because they don't think a player is a "first ballot guy" should have their voting credentials revoked.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

  11. #101
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Riverlands.
    Posts
    6,412
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    It's ridiculous that last year many voters didn't think he was worthy but now suddenly 95% of them do.
    Voters who hold back votes because they don't think a player is a "first ballot guy" should have their voting credentials revoked.
    Agreed 100 percent. Here's another personal favorite "Well, the player was going to get in anyway, therefore I didn't vote for them." Instead the writer will vote for Jeff Conine who has no chance in hell over let's say Ken Griffey Jr.

    Another is when a writer will incorporate their own personal agenda to keep a guy out. If the player performed well against the team they covered for 20 years, they'll refuse to vote for them. Those kind of writers have no place in the voting process.

  12. #102
    Senior Member WCTYSON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,570
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozzie22 View Post
    And Schilling is a racist how? Being a Conservative does not make you a racist despite what the liberal media may tell you.
    Not sure if he is a racist but he is a documented bigot, that is for sure and nobody needs 'liberal media,' to understand that, as he proudly expresses those views.

    I think he and Mike Mussina both should be in the HOF and both will eventually make it in. Can't keep a player out of the HOF for being trash.
    There's a horse loose in the hospital

  13. #103
    Member gmarutiak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    1,365
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    It's ridiculous that last year many voters didn't think he was worthy but now suddenly 95% of them do.
    Voters who hold back votes because they don't think a player is a "first ballot guy" should have their voting credentials revoked.
    I'm not sure why, but I disagree with this. In my opinion, there's something more prestigious about being a "First Ballot Hall of Famer" than there is about being a "Hall of Famer." To me, Vladdy is a HoFer, but not a FBHoFer. I can't logically defend it, but I get it.

    With that being said, I think Roberto Alomar should've been a first ballot guy. Best second baseman I've seen in my 44 years.

  14. #104
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Riverlands.
    Posts
    6,412
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gmarutiak View Post
    I'm not sure why, but I disagree with this. In my opinion, there's something more prestigious about being a "First Ballot Hall of Famer" than there is about being a "Hall of Famer." To me, Vladdy is a HoFer, but not a FBHoFer. I can't logically defend it, but I get it.

    With that being said, I think Roberto Alomar should've been a first ballot guy. Best second baseman I've seen in my 44 years.
    I think what happens is there's a logjam of talent now so more than ever. This year's ballot is incredibly deep and one can make a case for 15 players. Writers know a guy will be a HOF'er eventually, so they'll cast their vote for someone else in order to keep a guy on the ballot, or feel it's time to pay homage in another direction if for only one year.
    R.I.P. Harmon Clayton Killebrew June 29, 1936-May 17, 2011 You will surely be missed!

  15. #105
    Junior Member forgerelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    348
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was one writer that wouldn't vote for anyone on the first ballot because Joe Dimaggio wasn't elected on the first ballot, therefore only players better than Dimaggio should be first ballot elections. So like 10 players. A lot of voters are really, really stupid people.

    Scott F
    Mariano Rivera Super Collector. Always buying rare Mo's - PSA's, Auto's, Patches, Printing Plates, or any other rare Mo's. I PAY MORE THAN ANYONE FOR MARIANO'S I NEED.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •