User Tag List

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: HOF '18 Results (43%)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTaxMan View Post
    Great read. I read it and the piece of Craig Edwards' that is linked last year when they were written. I agree that is probably the issue but if so that means Hall of Fame voters are just as dumb as the general public is about baseball and that is disheartening.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2018 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz1982 View Post
    Hoffman shouldn't be a Hall of Famer. He wasn't even the best reliever on his own team for half his career.

Vizquel isn't a Hall of Famer either. Loved him as a player but he's short of a Hall of Fame career.

Edgar Martinez should have been elected years ago. David Ortiz will probably be 1st Ballot and he isn't half the player Edgar was.

Andruw Jones fell into the Edmonds trap. There is absolutely zero reason he shouldn't be inducted with Chipper this year. Instead he's going to fall off the Ballot his first year.
    I hope wizard of oz doesnít mean Ozzie Smith. Omar Vizquel is one of if not the best overall non power hitting shortstop to ever play the game. And if Ozzie Smith is in he is automatic. The Hoffman statement makes no sense especially with no player on his team as you said stated. He is most definitely I hall of famer and if he is not in your opinion then he is not because of specialized position. Which means Edgar is NO WAY a hall of famer. You do know before Marino Hoffman was the leader in saves and although he really is borderline the point of the argument was about Edgar. You canít have your cake and eat it to. Edgar yes Hoffman no. Ozzie yes Omar no.

You may need to do some more research.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelstepper View Post
    I'm not trying to start an argument, how do you feel about David Ortiz? many consider him a first ballot HOF.. Yes I'm an edgar fan but he has more games played on defense by over double.. while this.graphic only shows the stats while playing defense Ortiz only wins out in homers and slugging percentage.

Attachment 76066

Attachment 76067
    I am strictly AGAINST Ortiz as a hall of famer. Thatís a joke as well. I would vote Edgar if big Papi. But probably most people wouldnít because of home runs. I Loved Edgar as I am a tony gwynn fan but he just doesnít fit the bill while not playing the field. So your stats make sense although not needed do to the fact I would NEVER do Ortiz is a hall
    Of famer but that did just give me more amo on my final opinion that Edgar will never get in. Thereís more bites taken from him when Ortiz up.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't get how Andruw Jones is that low. He is an all-time top 10 center fielder, and the greatest defensively by a pretty large margin.
    Greatest? Ken Griffey. Etc etc. HOF ANDREW Jones. If
    We put Andrew Jones in the HOF then it needs to close. Thatís not even an argument in this conversation.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz1982 View Post
    Hoffman shouldn't be a Hall of Famer. He wasn't even the best reliever on his own team for half his career.

Vizquel isn't a Hall of Famer either. Loved him as a player but he's short of a Hall of Fame career.

Edgar Martinez should have been elected years ago. David Ortiz will probably be 1st Ballot and he isn't half the player Edgar was.

Andruw Jones fell into the Edmonds trap. There is absolutely zero reason he shouldn't be inducted with Chipper this year. Instead he's going to fall off the Ballot his first year.
    "Edgar Martinez should have been elected years ago. David Ortiz will probably be 1st Ballot and he isn't half the player Edgar was."

What baseball have you been watching?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't get how Andruw Jones is that low. He is an all-time top 10 center fielder, and the greatest defensively by a pretty large margin.
    He is not Ozzie Smith

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadgwynn View Post
    Greatest? Ken Griffey. Etc etc. HOF ANDREW Jones. If
    We put Andrew Jones in the HOF then it needs to close. That’s not even an argument in this conversation.
    There are currently over *one hundred* players in the HOF with a career WAR lower than ANDRUW Jones 62.9 (including Jackie Robinson, Sandy Koufax, Harmon Killebrew) and since 50+ WAR is considered the HOF eligible mark, him making the HOF would be far from a reason to shut the HOF doors. Much as in the case with Ozzie Smith, his defense alone is enough to put him in the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by nosterbor View Post
    He is not Ozzie Smith
    I'm assuming he meant greatest defensive center fielder, not greatest among all positions and he would be accurate if that was what he intended to say, as Andurw Jones is the all-time defensive WAR leader among outfielders. He ranks 20th among all positions. Ozzie Smith is of course, first.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> http://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems everyone is ranked against the elite of the elite nowadays. If you were not Willie Mays level, you don't deserve it. if you are not Babe Ruth reincarnated, you are out.

There will always be snubs that deserve to be enshrined and there are always going to be a small percentage of players who should be in but are never considered strong enough candidates due to sentence one above!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyCorona View Post
    I got some real issues with the HOF voters. Some of these writers are so damn arrogant like they're the highest of baseball genius and us fans are simpletons who could never understand such a complex game. Then there was some DB from Cleveland who only voted for Omar and Thome since they were the only two who played there. And lastly, some voters act as if their vote grants a player immortality, it's a building, for fans, they have to get over themselves....done

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
    There are currently over *one hundred* players in the HOF with a career WAR lower than ANDRUW Jones 62.9 (including Jackie Robinson, Sandy Koufax, Harmon Killebrew) and since 50+ WAR is considered the HOF eligible mark, him making the HOF would be far from a reason to shut the HOF doors. Much as in the case with Ozzie Smith, his defense alone is enough to put him in the conversation.

I'm assuming he meant greatest defensive center fielder, not greatest among all positions and he would be accurate if that was what he intended to say, as Andurw Jones is the all-time defensive WAR leader among outfielders. He ranks 20th among all positions. Ozzie Smith is of course, first.
    The war and 20-50 years ago means nothing. Andrew jones is NOT A HALL OF FAMER. Iíd give you 100-1 odds on that I was that strong on Mattingly and was right. Mattingly was was second favorite player growing up and dominated baseball for 5 years but his back blew out and people that that was enough, clearly it wasnít.

If Andrew Jones is a hall of famer
    So is mark lemke. I mean come on.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
    Mine too!
    That's really cool. I was hoping these 2 could go in together. Then they would get to retell the story of them getting into a fight with each other during a minor league game. It's a great story, and now they can go in the HOF together laughing about it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrandtw View Post
    Is Palmeiro not on the ballot anymore?
    He fell off the ballot after only four years. He never got more than 13% of the vote.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do y'all expect a bump in prices for chipper, vlad and Thome once all the ballots are counted?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MGiuseffi View Post
    Do y'all expect a bump in prices for chipper, vlad and Thome once all the ballots are counted?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I do a little for a bit. Especially chipper.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nosterbor View Post
    "Edgar Martinez should have been elected years ago. David Ortiz will probably be 1st Ballot and he isn't half the player Edgar was."

What baseball have you been watching?
    Edgar Martinez - 65.5 career fWAR in 8,672 career PAs

David Ortiz - 50.7 career fWAR in 10,091 career PAs

Career Slash lines:
    Edgar - .312/.418/.515
    Ortiz - .286/.380/.552

Career wRC+:
    Edgar 147
    Ortiz 140

Papi hit for a little more power in a bandbox in a more offensive era better than Martinez did in the Kingdome and Safeco where home runs went to die. In every other facet of hitting Martinez was much better than Ortiz and it shows when using park adjusted stats. It isn't even close.

Ortiz will get in because of his personality and the postseason stuff when Martinez was a much superior player.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2018 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadgwynn View Post
    I do a little for a bit. Especially chipper.

I feel like Chipper would get the least of the three mentioned. I think his induction was a forgone conclusion comparatively. He is more identifiable to a large fan base but heís also the least likable of the three so that evens that out in my mind. Always interesting to watch and find out either way

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast