Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Louisville Slugger Panels from the 1950s

richandsheryl
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flarick View Post
    If this is what he is selling, I'm having a hard time understanding "mental issue", "scamming someone" and "scumbag". Did you ever contact seller and ask questions???
    I agree with you [MENTION=3327]flarick[/MENTION]

Dude has over 20k in feedback and has a boat load of items listed. So obliviously there seems to be a market for the stuff. I don't get the comments either of Scamming someone and is a scumbag either. Kudos to him for selling something it appears someone buys it and he's making money too.
    -Richard-

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this is what he is selling, I'm having a hard time understanding "mental issue", "scamming someone" and "scumbag". Did you ever contact seller and ask questions???
    I never used any of those terms and wouldn't. If I felt that he was being maliciously deceitful I just wouldn't buy anything from him. All he is selling is cutouts of the individual player photos from the publication in the picture that [MENTION=2578]KLARNOLD[/MENTION] posted. The terms used to describe the items are very vague and some would say they are worded in a way to make the item seem more than it is. I don't feel that way but I do think he needs to be more clear about what he is selling. I'll give just about anyone the benefit of the doubt. Maybe English isn't his first language or something but he should make that clear in a message reply.

I did message the seller and got a rather tersely worded message back that I should check the description if I wanted to know what it was which was little to no help. At that point I came here to see if anyone else know what it was.
    Once the pic of the complete item was posted I decided I wasn't going to purchase what he was selling because I'd rather have the complete item, not because I think there is anything wrong with selling the items he is selling.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2018 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo870 View Post
    you must be near where my mom grew up. My grandfather built a house up in the moutian in Bear Creek near Wilks-Barre PA. back in 1935. we had to sell the home in 1982
    Probably about a half hour away or so...but living up there, everything is about a half hour away...

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz1982 View Post
    I never used any of those terms and wouldn't. If I felt that he was being maliciously deceitful I just wouldn't buy anything from him. All he is selling is cutouts of the individual player photos from the publication in the picture that [MENTION=2578]KLARNOLD[/MENTION] posted. The terms used to describe the items are very vague and some would say they are worded in a way to make the item seem more than it is. I don't feel that way but I do think he needs to be more clear about what he is selling. I'll give just about anyone the benefit of the doubt. Maybe English isn't his first language or something but he should make that clear in a message reply.

I did message the seller and got a rather tersely worded message back that I should check the description if I wanted to know what it was which was little to no help. At that point I came here to see if anyone else know what it was.
    Once the pic of the complete item was posted I decided I wasn't going to purchase what he was selling because I'd rather have the complete item, not because I think there is anything wrong with selling the items he is selling.
    Looks like they quoted you, but those terms were used by other people in the thread

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

flarick
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz1982 View Post

My apologies as my message was not directed at you. We all know who used those terms. I, too, contacted the seller and here's part of their response. "I would never try to cheat anyone and I am 100% money back guaranteed on all items. The item description on this item states that this is made of paper and from a Louisville Slugger Baseball Publication. If someone wants to know the exact publication I would let them know.

These panels came in square panels and I contacted ebay and they said the word "Panel" could be used for a square piece of paper cut out as long as it had four straight sides. I deal with many items from publications and found a market for these items years ago. I sell items to many family members and fans of these players or teams that do not know they exist. I would agree I have a unique market and may slightly "dress up" my items but any good marketing person would do the same. My marketing and dressing up is not illegal and I am listing everything correct through the copyrights and publisher and not stating they are cards. They are cutout paper panels and people see this. I have had people hate on me for years giving me death threats and calling me a book burner. Scrapbooking is not illegal and history can be preserved in many ways. I have people writing me thank you letters all the time of how they have a piece of memorabilia that they never had of their father, grand father, uncle, etc. I am an honest person and it hurts to see people bashing me and my business model."

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am fairly certain this was the same member who was selling team photos from periodicals and calling them "inserts" at one point. Perhaps that and other purposefully vague listing habits lead to the hate he was feeling. I kept my assessment of this person relatively neutral, but I still feel like he is trying to pull a fast one on the uneducated buyer. He probably figures the educated buyer will move on by, no harm, no foul.

This guy knows what he is doing and is purposely leaving out details to entice uneducated buyers into paying more for a picture cut from something than most would. If he clearly spelled out the details, "I cut these from a 1956 Louisville Slugger catalog" for example, then he would PROBABLY get less money per item, although if he only listed at BIN/BO prices, that would solve that part of the issue too. I'm sure player relatives are happy to have something from their ball player, but do they really know and understand what they are getting? Probably not in some, possibly many cases.

Here is a counter example that the seller in question could consider for emulation if he wanted to be more transparent.

I took a checklist sheet of 1984 Slurpee coins and cut it apart, as the sheet was damaged. I kept the Steve Garvey for my collection, because I do collect weird stuff like that and decided to try to sell the others. I have attached a photo of what the full sheet looks like, a photo of what I was selling and below was my description. I did call it a "card" in the title, but fully explained what I meant by that in the description. I probably hurt my bottom line or maybe there simply was not a market at the time for these I thought there might have been, but the buyers knew exactly what they were getting.

"In 1984, 7-11 was selling slurpees with 3D coins included on the bottom of the cups. In addition, there were tablets of paper checklists showing a drawing of what each coin looked like. The checklists were presumably free, although I don't remember seeing them. I suspect that typical 7-11 store employees never put them out and you'd have to know about them and ask for one to get it.

Offered here are singles from this checklist. Some may offer these as RARE PAPER PROOFS, but I am not "that guy" and these are simply the disc drawings cut from the checklist sheet into individual squares. If you have a sheet already in your collection and wanted a "card sized" single for your collection, here is your chance. Each single paper disc is roughly 1 1/4" square and blank backed. There may be some minor defects to an individual disc, such as some light creasing, bending, etc. The sheet these came from had seen better days, so I felt it best to make singles and give collectors a chance at something unique without having to buy and ruin a full sheet. 1 sheet was harmed in the making of these singles!"

I got $1.04 for Ryan and $0.99 for Reggie! Whoo Hoo!! None of the others sold. I also charged 60 cents for s/h and sent in a PWE. I was hoping for a couple bidding wars and to sell the singles for more than the whole sheet would sell for, but that didn't happen. I was also trying to offer collectors something odd and the chance at it on the cheap. I could have charged the standard $3-4 s/h and might have even had a taker still. Hopefully the buyers were happy and saved a few bucks and in the end, I feel good about what I sold.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	337.9 KB 
ID:	77548Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slurpee Single.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	77549
    Last edited by mrmopar; 02-21-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just noticed the size estimate in my description was off quite a bit. I meant to say they were approx 1 3/4". Ooops...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stand by what I said. If he was honest with what he is selling I would have zero problem with it. This guy is intentionally misleading people to make a buck off their ignorance. In my book that makes him a scumbag.

My comment about mental issues was about people that do this kind of thing for a living. There are a lot of them. I run an online business (nothing sports related) and get contacted everyday by people that got scammed by other sellers. And I watch these other sellers come and go. They do bait and switch or use another companies certifications illegally or steal designs or sell illegal black market products. They come up with these elaborate schemes and then run them into the ground stealing from uninformed consumers and suppliers. And these scammers will have to change all their phone numbers, move to another state (or even to another country) to avoid getting caught. And then they start the whole process over again. I've seen one guy do it 3 times in 10 years. They just cannot do things honestly. There are many, many, many people like that selling sports cards.

Scott F
    Mariano Rivera Super Collector. Always buying rare Mo's - PSA's, Auto's, Patches, Printing Plates, or any other rare Mo's. I PAY MORE THAN ANYONE FOR MARIANO'S I NEED.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12