User Tag List

Thread: 1996 Panini Venezuela stamped sticker

indyfan23
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1996 Panini Venezuela stamped sticker

Does anyone know anything about these? There are a few currently for sale on eBay. They look like the regular panini card except that the word Venezuela is hand stamped in black on the back. The seller claims they are super rare but they seem rather easy to do since itís just a stamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Link to it?
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2018 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

tpeichel34
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnieBaseball View Post
    Does anyone know anything about these? There are a few currently for sale on eBay. They look like the regular panini card except that the word Venezuela is hand stamped in black on the back. The seller claims they are super rare but they seem rather easy to do since it’s just a stamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We discussed this a few years back and the general agreement was a hand stamp.
    Thanks to MOFNY for finally getting me motivated to start a website:

www.supercollectorcatalog.com

Here is a link to the cameo section:

http://www.supercollectorcatalog.com/cameo-index.html

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpeichel View Post
    We discussed this a few years back and the general agreement was a hand stamp.
    I've had one for several years. And yes, the most likely conclusion was that it was a seller from Cuba that stamped these aftermarket. They weren't issued with the stamp, as I have seen both stamped and unstamped backs. Some of the stickers were only issued in Venezuela and are quite rare (2000 orange border). I think the seller stamped them with the Venezuela stamp to draw attention to this fact.

lanlord99
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen the same stamp used on different year stickers and in diagonal positions as well.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 1998 Panini Venezuelan Sticker of Jeff Frye that doesn't have a stamp on it.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2018 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The next question is this: Are these collectible? To me, I think they are, as they are now a piece of hobby history ... though a VERY minor piece. I guess we will never know if it was some joe schmoe who stamped, or someone from the Panini factory did for one reason or another. It is just one of those many mysteries our hobby holds!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!
    Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know! www.CansecoCollector.com

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
    The next question is this: Are these collectible? To me, I think they are, as they are now a piece of hobby history ... though a VERY minor piece. I guess we will never know if it was some joe schmoe who stamped, or someone from the Panini factory did for one reason or another. It is just one of those many mysteries our hobby holds!
    To me, they're still collectible, especially the harder to find 1998 and 2000 issues. But it's like a vintage card with handwriting on it. It doesn't add to the value, it subtracts from it. I'd rather have a non-stamped card. The card/sticker has been altered from how it was issued. I'd pay approximately 2x for an unstamped one in same condition.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gracecollector View Post
    To me, they're still collectible, especially the harder to find 1998 and 2000 issues. But it's like a vintage card with handwriting on it. It doesn't add to the value, it subtracts from it. I'd rather have a non-stamped card. The card/sticker has been altered from how it was issued. I'd pay approximately 2x for an unstamped one in same condition.
    I've never seen a stamped version of the Jeff Frye that I have but I'd imagine I'd pay the same for it as I did the version I have just because I haven't seen one. Granted I think I gave $4 plus shipping for the one I have so it's not a ton of money.