Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who here used to buy opc or Donruss leaf as a kid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Silly question for those who grew up in Canada or near the border I suppose, but how about everyone else?

Since I never lived in or near the two places above, I only recall having a couple of experiences, and they were only with 1985 Leaf.

We'd occasionally go to a restaurant with a drug store next door which always had cards, but a few times had Leaf (at retail price) and since 1985 Donruss was non existent at retail, this was like a goldmine to a kid.

Now I don't know why I actually remember the following, but sitting in a Korean restaurant, I was reading the backs and noticed Clemens rc had a spelling error with the word "since" as "sine"

Anyone else?

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I vaguely remember the Leaf version. They were a little tougher to find further into the states, I think...at least where I was. Do you still have any of those old Leaf cards? I'd love to see some scans of HOFers and stars!

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
The local corner store carried OPC hockey and baseball on a regular basis. We used troll the neighborhood for pop cans and turn them in for deposit. Enough to get a decent haul. Every couple months the family would make the trip across the border to Bellingham to shop at Bellis fair (brand spankin new at the time). Kaybee? was a goldmine. First time I came across rack packs.

With Donruss- our local Save-On-Foods has Donruss boxes by the pallet. Lol. I think they were about $8-10/box.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Singles only in central Florida, but their elusive nature really drew me toward both. The only awesome haul we ever got were pallet loads of 1991 Topps Desert Shield that were brought back from Kuwait and sold for retail at some of the large rest stops up and down the turnpike.

I've always loved OPC and '80s Leaf baseball. I recently added one of my most desired items to the collection, my first pick-up of 2018.

attachment.php

attachment.php

djmilhaus

Sep 8, 2014
Seattle
I lived close to Canada and have relatives there. I had the occasional packs of OPC end up in my collection from a convenience store either near the border or one near my aunt's house. Mostly hockey as OPC was "better" but would up with small amounts of baseball and even had some WWF wrestling cards. Only time I saw Leaf was at a random convenience store in the middle of Washington state and it was sitting on the shelf for about 10 years. Bought a pack for the lols and didn't pull anything interesting (it was 1986 Leaf, well after the Canseco hype).

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
Having lived in central California, I never saw these. 1986-91 O-Pee-Chee seems really rare compared to Topps. O-Pee-Chee rookies of guys like Frank Thomas and Chipper Jones are tough to find. I bought boxes of 1993 & 1994 O-Pee-Chee a few years ago. I was really fond of the 1993 design and 1994 had some cool Blue Jays inserts.

Last edited:

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
I never had any packs but I remember getting one of those repack boxes as a kid and I got an 86 Leaf McGriff rookie. I think that was the card that initially sparked my interest in collecting him.

Sent from my LG-UK495 using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest posts