User Tag List

Thread: 1993 Leaf Gold Leaf Rookies Silver Foil Variation

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1993 Leaf Gold Leaf Rookies Silver Foil Variation

I tried to see if there was a thread that discussed this already, but didn't find one after a quick search. The set is mostly crap, aside from Chipper Jones and Mike piazza anyway, but some folks may not be aware. I stumbled upon this after sorting through a junk insert box. Can't remember if I knew about this before or not. I don't remember.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1993 Leaf Gold & Silver Foil Variations.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	77899

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might be imagining things but I vaguely remember reading about that in Sportscards or other magazine back in the day. Super rare error but never really caught the hobby's attention. Probably too rare for the time. If there were only 1 or 2 copies, it might have escaped notice.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases and Grady Sizemores I don't have

youseekyoda421
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nifty variation.

I remember opening packs of 1993 Leaf and being excited to pull a Rookies card of Brandon Wilson. Lots of nostalgic memories with this set.

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the jumbo version of the set in the same situation with both gold and silver foil? If I'm not mistaken my Wakefield jumbo is silver.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    I tried to see if there was a thread that discussed this already, but didn't find one after a quick search. The set is mostly crap, aside from Chipper Jones and Mike piazza anyway, but some folks may not be aware. I stumbled upon this after sorting through a junk insert box. Can't remember if I knew about this before or not. I don't remember.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1993 Leaf Gold & Silver Foil Variations.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	77899
    I have posted about them here before too. Iíve also listed the chipper several times on eBay to no success. And COMC will not acknowledge the variation after several correction request attempts.
    http://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/ My Error & Variation blog, focusing on the little-known rarities of the junk era.

http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr My COMC account, focusing on oddball, variations and promos.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This made me go check my partial sets. I have a silver Benji Gil and a silver Chipper Jones. I'd build both sets but I bet it would be a major pain in the behind to find silver variations of guys like Mark Kiefer and Greg Gohr so if someone out there has a gold foil Benji Gil and Chipper Jones hit me up.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2018 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like the same "variation" as 92 Topps Gold/92 Leaf Black Gold - different factory "mixture/formula/recipe" when they made the foil.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz1982 View Post
    This made me go check my partial sets. I have a silver Benji Gil and a silver Chipper Jones. I'd build both sets but I bet it would be a major pain in the behind to find silver variations of guys like Mark Kiefer and Greg Gohr so if someone out there has a gold foil Benji Gil and Chipper Jones hit me up.
    Hey, Oz-man, I opened a few boxes of this stuff back in the day. I'm not sure what extras I may have in the line of Jones and Gil, but you're welcome to what I have. I'll take a look this weekend, if you still need them.
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letch77 View Post
    Hey, Oz-man, I opened a few boxes of this stuff back in the day. I'm not sure what extras I may have in the line of Jones and Gil, but you're welcome to what I have. I'll take a look this weekend, if you still need them.
    Let me know what you have when you get a chance. I only have about a third of that set put together. For some reason the 1991 and 1992 sets are easy but 1993 is eluding me.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2018 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goobmcnasty View Post
    It looks like the same "variation" as 92 Topps Gold/92 Leaf Black Gold - different factory "mixture/formula/recipe" when they made the foil.
    The 1992 Topps Gold/Silver were the first thing I thought of too.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brian46256qqv View Post
    The 1992 Topps Gold/Silver were the first thing I thought of too.

That silver is a beautiful card! Even though they aren't widely known or recognized anywhere, I believe they are very rare with only a small number made, even if it is "just" a foil misprint.
    http://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/ My Error & Variation blog, focusing on the little-known rarities of the junk era.

http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr My COMC account, focusing on oddball, variations and promos.

cmcjr99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd missed this thread completely....as posted in the e&v thread , i have these on hand now :

:

11 kevin rogers
    14 phil hiatt
    18 benji gil
    20 darrell sherman

and will be digging for my complete set to check for others....

i did do an ebay check earlier today but saw exactly none listed or closed within the past 90 days.....perhaps they really are rare as smapdi commented....

now to decide whether i should chase them or try to move mine....
    Last edited by gamecockfanatic; Today at 01:02 AM.
    I collect any and all South Carolina Gamec0cks in any sport including players and coaches .
    Master set projects
    football : 2000 Finest , 2001 Bowman's Best , 2004 Fleer Tradition`, and 2017 Donruss
    baseball : 2002 Topps Chrome and 2007 Topps
    Claude's Desperate Plea for Help After Dad's Death (pay pal pool)