Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1993 Leaf Gold Leaf Rookies Silver Foil Variation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I tried to see if there was a thread that discussed this already, but didn't find one after a quick search. The set is mostly crap, aside from Chipper Jones and Mike piazza anyway, but some folks may not be aware. I stumbled upon this after sorting through a junk insert box. Can't remember if I knew about this before or not. I don't remember.

1993 Leaf Gold & Silver Foil Variations.jpg

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I might be imagining things but I vaguely remember reading about that in Sportscards or other magazine back in the day. Super rare error but never really caught the hobby's attention. Probably too rare for the time. If there were only 1 or 2 copies, it might have escaped notice.

Apr 13, 2010
Nifty variation.

I remember opening packs of 1993 Leaf and being excited to pull a Rookies card of Brandon Wilson. Lots of nostalgic memories with this set.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Is the jumbo version of the set in the same situation with both gold and silver foil? If I'm not mistaken my Wakefield jumbo is silver.

Jan 14, 2009
I tried to see if there was a thread that discussed this already, but didn't find one after a quick search. The set is mostly crap, aside from Chipper Jones and Mike piazza anyway, but some folks may not be aware. I stumbled upon this after sorting through a junk insert box. Can't remember if I knew about this before or not. I don't remember.

View attachment 77899

I have posted about them here before too. I’ve also listed the chipper several times on eBay to no success. And COMC will not acknowledge the variation after several correction request attempts.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
This made me go check my partial sets. I have a silver Benji Gil and a silver Chipper Jones. I'd build both sets but I bet it would be a major pain in the behind to find silver variations of guys like Mark Kiefer and Greg Gohr so if someone out there has a gold foil Benji Gil and Chipper Jones hit me up.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
It looks like the same "variation" as 92 Topps Gold/92 Leaf Black Gold - different factory "mixture/formula/recipe" when they made the foil.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
This made me go check my partial sets. I have a silver Benji Gil and a silver Chipper Jones. I'd build both sets but I bet it would be a major pain in the behind to find silver variations of guys like Mark Kiefer and Greg Gohr so if someone out there has a gold foil Benji Gil and Chipper Jones hit me up.
Hey, Oz-man, I opened a few boxes of this stuff back in the day. I'm not sure what extras I may have in the line of Jones and Gil, but you're welcome to what I have. I'll take a look this weekend, if you still need them.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Hey, Oz-man, I opened a few boxes of this stuff back in the day. I'm not sure what extras I may have in the line of Jones and Gil, but you're welcome to what I have. I'll take a look this weekend, if you still need them.

Let me know what you have when you get a chance. I only have about a third of that set put together. For some reason the 1991 and 1992 sets are easy but 1993 is eluding me.

brian46256qqv

Mar 26, 2012
It looks like the same "variation" as 92 Topps Gold/92 Leaf Black Gold - different factory "mixture/formula/recipe" when they made the foil.

The 1992 Topps Gold/Silver were the first thing I thought of too.

wmblPUs.jpg

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
i'd missed this thread completely....as posted in the e&v thread , i have these on hand now :

:

11 kevin rogers
14 phil hiatt
18 benji gil
20 darrell sherman

and will be digging for my complete set to check for others....

i did do an ebay check earlier today but saw exactly none listed or closed within the past 90 days.....perhaps they really are rare as smapdi commented....

now to decide whether i should chase them or try to move mine....

edit to add - when i went back and dug out my partial set i found 5 or 6 more among the 17 or 18 cards in the album...

Last edited:

saucywombat

Feb 4, 2010
Folly Beach, SC
I think most if not all of the 1992 Gold Leaf Rookies can be found with "silver" versions. Pictured here are two I found at a flea market a few years back. Picked up the set and about 1/2 were the silver versions.Martinez Lofton 1992 Gold Leaf Silver.jpg

Not sure about numbers but they are certainly significantly more scarce than the gold.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I think most if not all of the 1992 Gold Leaf Rookies can be found with "silver" versions. Pictured here are two I found at a flea market a few years back. Picked up the set and about 1/2 were the silver versions.View attachment 83258

Not sure about numbers but they are certainly significantly more scarce than the gold.

Why did you have to mention that the 1992s have Silver versions too?

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
99% sure it does. I'd have to look when I got home to confirm but I'm pretty sure the Boggs U5 Update All-Star I have is silver.

i was in a dimly lit room a couple nights ago when i was looking at mine , so i need to check everything again in better light , but i could have sworn some had silver foil logos up top with gold foil for the all-star text at the bottom....i really hope im wrong because that could mean waaaay too many versions out there....

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
i was in a dimly lit room a couple nights ago when i was looking at mine , so i need to check everything again in better light , but i could have sworn some had silver foil logos up top with gold foil for the all-star text at the bottom....i really hope im wrong because that could mean waaaay too many versions out there....

Now you're just making stuff up to make my OCD go nuts lol

Members online