Thread: Ronald Acuña Turns Down $30M Contract Extension

cardboardconglomerate
     jaypers413
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Exclamation Ronald Acuña Turns Down $30M Contract Extension

Arturo Marcano of ESPN Deportes reports that Braves outfield prospect Ronald Acuña turned down a $30 million contract extension from the Braves. This comes on the heels of recent extensions signed by Scott Kingery (six years, $24 million) and Ketel Marte (five years, $24 million).

It’s no surprise that Acuña, 20, is betting on himself. Many young players end up signing extensions like that because they value the up-front security. Acuña, however, is considered to be the best position player prospect in baseball. The only reason he isn’t on the Braves’ Opening Day roster is for service time reasons, as he torched spring pitching to the tune of a .432 average with four home runs and 11 RBI in 52 plate appearances. Last year, between three levels of the minors between High-A and Triple-A, Acuña hit .325/.374/.522 with 21 home runs, 82 RBI, 88 runs scored, and 44 stolen bases in 612 plate appearances.

For the first two weeks of the season, left field will be manned primarily by Preston Tucker. Once April 13 rolls around, expect Acuña to be there.
    J.P.

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @death2redemptions pays him more for nudes

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I said this in the kingery thread and I think it's magnified for acuna, at their age they should be just hitting their prime when the contract would end, if they play up to expectations (not even sure that's possible for acuna) they are still in line for a massive pay day, I'm not sure what the down side is. I didn't see the amount of years offered acuna but he would be missing one, maybe two years of FA? I think some upfront security is worth that trade. 30 mil now, plays well for the contract then sign for a nine figure pay day when he's still in his mid twenties....not too shabby.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bstanwood View Post
    I said this in the kingery thread and I think it's magnified for acuna, at their age they should be just hitting their prime when the contract would end, if they play up to expectations (not even sure that's possible for acuna) they are still in line for a massive pay day, I'm not sure what the down side is. I didn't see the amount of years offered acuna but he would be missing one, maybe two years of FA? I think some upfront security is worth that trade. 30 mil now, plays well for the contract then sign for a nine figure pay day when he's still in his mid twenties....not too shabby.
    It kind of depends on how many years of course but I'm on your side with this one. He's under Braves control for 6 years anyway so unless there were FA option years tacked to the end he wouldn't lose any free agency. $30 million can't be too far off what he'd make in that 6 year term with arb raises. It's probably a little bit short if he really is the player he looks to be but certainly it's close enough that the risk of a career ending injury tomorrow outweighs any difference. I guess not though for him. It definitely would be for me. $30 million is great grandkids set for life money, not just me. I wouldn't be able to sign it fast enough, especially knowing I'm going to hit free agency again at age 26 when it is done.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2018 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turning down 30 mil guaranteed, whom ever is his agent is a idiot JMO.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This^

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't pay attention to things in that detail, but I assume the agent does. Would he make more in annual arbitration until he reaches full free agency? Do they think there will be big changes in the next CBA?
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases and Grady Sizemores I don't have

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
    I don't pay attention to things in that detail, but I assume the agent does. Would he make more in annual arbitration until he reaches full free agency? Do they think there will be big changes in the next CBA?
    He probably would, maybe by as much as $10-15 million though that would be a stretch. Josh Donaldson earned ~$35 million in his first 6 seasons, including his first 3 arb years. That includes bumps for winning the MVP, etc. He's a Super 2 and got $23 million this year in his last arb year but I don't see the Braves letting that happen with Acuna.

Acuna could fall down some stairs tomorrow and never be able to play baseball again too. It's stupid not to sign that contract for guaranteed set for life money, especially when you're going to be a free agent again at 26.
    Last edited by WizardofOz1982; 03-27-2018 at 02:12 PM.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2018 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acuna denies such an offer was ever made to him.....so somebody is lying.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/brav...jr/c-269807154

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyCorona View Post
    @death2redemptions pays him more for nudes

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
    Those will be worth hundreds of millions in six years but they are priceless to me.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> http://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff