Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Official 2018 Atlanta Braves Season discussion thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Okay so Max Fried is starting tonight and I'm not that confident in the kid, at least not yet. As of the moment I view him as more of a bullpen option, not a major league caliber starter.

The very fact that we have to rely on players like Fried to start has me thinking we should make a move for an under-the-radar type starter who wouldn't cost us a ton of top tier prospects (and money) as someone like deGrom or Hamels would. I know McCarthy will eventually return but he's been nothing short of below average for us and there are better options out there.

Personally I'd like to see the Braves go after someone like Tyson Ross or Ivan Nova. Ross has been pretty damn good (3.32 ERA, 3.86 FIP, 90 K/95 IP, avg 6 IP per game) and would cost us less than $1 mil for the remainder of the season. Nova hasn't been quiet as good (4.02 ERA, 3.94 FIP, 4.53 K/BB, avg 6 IP per game) & costs a little more ($4.5 mil remaining on contract) but those are still very solid numbers for his price tag. Both are better than Brandon McCarthy. We could even go after Zack Wheeler if the Mets are willing to trade within the division although I imagine he would cost us at least one top tier prospect (plus some throw-ins) or a few mid-tier ones. However the upside would be that he'd cost very little in terms of money. Problem is that he's been very inconsistent despite a very respectable 3.60 FIP.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
I found this pretty interesting...despite how poorly the Braves have been playing as of late, in the last 10 games there isn't a single team in the NL East who has a record *above* .500. The Braves & Phillies are both 5-5 in their last 10 games (an even .500), the Nats & Marlins are 4-6 and the Mets are 1-9!

So if there were ever a time for the Braves to be slumping it would be right now and while it may be perceived as a slump (by our standards) they are still a .500 team in their last 10 which is tied for the best record (in the last 10 games) in the division.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Earlier I may have said Fried wasn't a major league caliber starter yet....maybe tonight is when he finally becomes one. We'll see...so far he's looked darn good. The question is, does he have the stamina to keep this going for a few more innings.

Fried - 4 IP, 0 ER, 3 H, 1 BB, 6 K

Members online