User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What boxes would you want to open for nostalgia?

Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What boxes would you want to open for nostalgia?

Over the last couple of years I've built up a bit of a collection of wax of sets from early 2000's; boxes that when they came out were out of my price range and boxes that have become somewhat difficult to find. At the same time I've definitely given some thought to which boxes I think will go up in value over time. Looking at the price of vintage boxes (and even some boxes from the 90's) it seems like some more recent boxes will definitely appreciate over time.

I was wondering what boxes you would want to open out of nostalgia? Could be from the the time period I mentioned; newer cards, or much older cards. Extra points if there's a story tied to why.

tigger0007
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2001 Bowman Chrome to get the Albert Pujols auto! Best regards, David
    Losted in Space, on Gilligian's island without a boat, can't get back into Narnia, struck in a time machine!

juangris311
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1999 Bowman Chrome to fish for Dunn rookies. It's cheap and fun to chase the gold refractors.

I also buy boxes of The Twilight Zone cards as it's my 2nd favorite show of all-time and many of the autographed cards are of actors now deceased.
    Always Looking For Adam Dunn Autograph Cards!

moxacaine
     moxacaine
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2005 Prime Patches. by the time I got out of the army and could afford it, it was tough to find.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like a 1967 baseball box. Not because it's so valuable now. Because I could never afford one as 10 year old kid. Any series would be great.

jdlpharm
     @j_lifsey
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1980 Topps. My Dad would buy my brother and I a couple of packs from the local 7-11 once or twice a week on our way home from my Grandmother's house. Started my in interest in baseball and in cards.
    2010 & 2011 NCAA NATIONAL BASEBALL CHAMPIONS

The Land Of Always Baseball....Sunny Florida
     WaxPax
     WaxPax
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first cards I remember buying were in packs 1973 Topps. I've actually watched some "Vintage" breaks of packs from the 70's which was awesome.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1990 Leaf was such a big deal when it came out.

As for value, looking for '93 Finest refractors would be fun...
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As many cases as I could of 2001 Legendary Cuts. The amount of ridiculous cut autos they had was insane...Walter Johnson was numbered out of 113. Plus unfortunately this isn't the case anymore for the most part mainly because of post-2010 Panini releases, but some of the most desirable GU came from that product for years. The Shoeless Joe Jackson bat card was iconic for awhile. The Bill Terry bat card from 2001 Legendary Cuts (I think it was a SP) was pretty tough to find and went for a lot for awhile. I'm also partial to the look of those pieces, both the game used ones and cuts, compared to later years of legendary cuts releases.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by homerun28aa View Post
    As many cases as I could of 2001 Legendary Cuts. The amount of ridiculous cut autos they had was insane...Walter Johnson was numbered out of 113. Plus unfortunately this isn't the case anymore for the most part mainly because of post-2010 Panini releases, but some of the most desirable GU came from that product for years. The Shoeless Joe Jackson bat card was iconic for awhile. The Bill Terry bat card from 2001 Legendary Cuts (I think it was a SP) was pretty tough to find and went for a lot for awhile. I'm also partial to the look of those pieces, both the game used ones and cuts, compared to later years of legendary cuts releases.
    Your post made me search a little. I REALLY wish I would've seen these... less than $250 a box!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Upper-...QAAOSwmNlZaRWB

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goobmcnasty View Post
    Your post made me search a little. I REALLY wish I would've seen these... less than $250 a box!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Upper-...QAAOSwmNlZaRWB
    Oh wow...not only did he have 2 of them but that's a great price like you noted. I never looked for them very proactively but I've seen a couple go over the years and it was always for more than that I believe. I'm not sure if they guaranteed a cut auto per case in 2001 like they did afterwards, but I think standalone boxes have been established in the $500-$600 range.

I'm sure I'm still forgetting some pieces but Hack Wilson is another guy I think was rare who went for good money before more of his stuff was released in the newer products. 147 Jackie Robinson cut autos...275 DiMaggio cut auto...the list is really ridiculous. I'm still partial to GU of guys from 2001 cuts that became pretty common in the immediate years after that like Clemente and Honus.

Because I collected HOF GU almost religiously for a long time I can't believe I forgot these in my initial post, but even moreso than the high quantity of amazing cuts and the rare HOF GU pieces...how great are the hand numbered dual bat cards from that product? The Ruth/Foxx one is awesome...I think Ruth had one with a multiple people if I'm not mistaking. The Cobb/Gehringer one is another favorite that comes to mind. Now that I've mentioned it I'm pretty sure Gehrigner is another HOF guy in the Hack Wilson/Bill Terry/etc. category who was hard to find for a bit.

Thanks a lot for sharing...there goes my Sunday

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David K. View Post
    2001 Bowman Chrome to get the Albert Pujols auto! Best regards, David
    Wasn't that a redemption?
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    93 finest because I was a kid and couldn't afford it, 95 pinnacle was among my favorites that I could afford, all the dufex that money could buy. Those are the two that comes to mind immediately I'm sure there are many others.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1984 Donruss because they were too expensive as a kid.
    Although I did buy the complete factory set for only $75 about 15 years ago.

But it would be fun to bust a box and pretend it's the '80s and get excited because even the regular star cards from '84 Donruss were valuable back then.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by homerun28aa View Post
    One of the greatest and nicest looking sets ever made. I've wanted to pick up a box or two, but haven't found any at a price I'm ok paying.

Link to a thread with many of the cut sigs:
    https://www.freedomcardboard.com/foru...et-in-pictures

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast