Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What boxes would you want to open for nostalgia?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Over the last couple of years I've built up a bit of a collection of wax of sets from early 2000's; boxes that when they came out were out of my price range and boxes that have become somewhat difficult to find. At the same time I've definitely given some thought to which boxes I think will go up in value over time. Looking at the price of vintage boxes (and even some boxes from the 90's) it seems like some more recent boxes will definitely appreciate over time.

I was wondering what boxes you would want to open out of nostalgia? Could be from the the time period I mentioned; newer cards, or much older cards. Extra points if there's a story tied to why.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
1999 Bowman Chrome to fish for Dunn rookies. It's cheap and fun to chase the gold refractors.

I also buy boxes of The Twilight Zone cards as it's my 2nd favorite show of all-time and many of the autographed cards are of actors now deceased.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I would like a 1967 baseball box. Not because it's so valuable now. Because I could never afford one as 10 year old kid. Any series would be great.

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
1980 Topps. My Dad would buy my brother and I a couple of packs from the local 7-11 once or twice a week on our way home from my Grandmother's house. Started my in interest in baseball and in cards.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
1990 Leaf was such a big deal when it came out.

As for value, looking for '93 Finest refractors would be fun...

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
As many cases as I could of 2001 Legendary Cuts. The amount of ridiculous cut autos they had was insane...Walter Johnson was numbered out of 113. Plus unfortunately this isn't the case anymore for the most part mainly because of post-2010 Panini releases, but some of the most desirable GU came from that product for years. The Shoeless Joe Jackson bat card was iconic for awhile. The Bill Terry bat card from 2001 Legendary Cuts (I think it was a SP) was pretty tough to find and went for a lot for awhile. I'm also partial to the look of those pieces, both the game used ones and cuts, compared to later years of legendary cuts releases.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
As many cases as I could of 2001 Legendary Cuts. The amount of ridiculous cut autos they had was insane...Walter Johnson was numbered out of 113. Plus unfortunately this isn't the case anymore for the most part mainly because of post-2010 Panini releases, but some of the most desirable GU came from that product for years. The Shoeless Joe Jackson bat card was iconic for awhile. The Bill Terry bat card from 2001 Legendary Cuts (I think it was a SP) was pretty tough to find and went for a lot for awhile. I'm also partial to the look of those pieces, both the game used ones and cuts, compared to later years of legendary cuts releases.

Your post made me search a little. I REALLY wish I would've seen these... less than $250 a box!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Upper...437360?hash=item1c8bbbfd30:g:5kQAAOSwmNlZaRWB

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Your post made me search a little. I REALLY wish I would've seen these... less than $250 a box!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Upper...437360?hash=item1c8bbbfd30:g:5kQAAOSwmNlZaRWB

Oh wow...not only did he have 2 of them but that's a great price like you noted. I never looked for them very proactively but I've seen a couple go over the years and it was always for more than that I believe. I'm not sure if they guaranteed a cut auto per case in 2001 like they did afterwards, but I think standalone boxes have been established in the $500-$600 range.

I'm sure I'm still forgetting some pieces but Hack Wilson is another guy I think was rare who went for good money before more of his stuff was released in the newer products. 147 Jackie Robinson cut autos...275 DiMaggio cut auto...the list is really ridiculous. I'm still partial to GU of guys from 2001 cuts that became pretty common in the immediate years after that like Clemente and Honus.

Because I collected HOF GU almost religiously for a long time I can't believe I forgot these in my initial post, but even moreso than the high quantity of amazing cuts and the rare HOF GU pieces...how great are the hand numbered dual bat cards from that product? The Ruth/Foxx one is awesome...I think Ruth had one with a multiple people if I'm not mistaking. The Cobb/Gehringer one is another favorite that comes to mind. Now that I've mentioned it I'm pretty sure Gehrigner is another HOF guy in the Hack Wilson/Bill Terry/etc. category who was hard to find for a bit.

Thanks a lot for sharing...there goes my Sunday ;)

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
93 finest because I was a kid and couldn't afford it, 95 pinnacle was among my favorites that I could afford, all the dufex that money could buy. Those are the two that comes to mind immediately I'm sure there are many others.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1984 Donruss because they were too expensive as a kid.
Although I did buy the complete factory set for only $75 about 15 years ago.

But it would be fun to bust a box and pretend it's the '80s and get excited because even the regular star cards from '84 Donruss were valuable back then.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008

One of the greatest and nicest looking sets ever made. I've wanted to pick up a box or two, but haven't found any at a price I'm ok paying.

Link to a thread with many of the cut sigs:
http://www.freedomcardboard.com/for...ld-the-2001-SP-Legendary-Cuts-set-in-pictures

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
Wasn't that a redemption?

It was.....same was SPX was a redemption in the boxes of SPX....pulled from from a box and brought another on ebay for $70.00.....sold both about 4 years ago for $250.00 per auto! Best regards, David PS he asked what box you want to open for nostalgia!

David K.

Aug 26, 2008
Fresno, CA
93 finest because I was a kid and couldn't afford it, 95 pinnacle was among my favorites that I could afford, all the dufex that money could buy. Those are the two that comes to mind immediately I'm sure there are many others.
That 93 finest was crazy when they first came out......I remember the packs were about $20.00 per pack! Best regards, David

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
Anything form 2001. But not for how much the hits could be flipped for. I started collecting again in 2001 and saw so many amazing cards pulled from then that I couldn't afford to own or even open so it would be so much fun now.
I still pick up cards form 2001 now just because of good memories from that first year of collecting again.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I'd love to open up another box of 1993 Finest sometime!
Around 1996, I saved up and went in with a friend on a box of '93 Finest. He was a big McGwire guy so the deal was we'd split the packs evenly, but he'd get all the McGwires and I'd get all the Thomases. I think we ended up with 1 McGwire, 1 Thomas, and 1 refractor that was in one of my packs...it was John Franco.

I'd also love to get another box of 1996 Select Certified. (Currently working on getting a box for a decent price.) I bought one in the early 2000s and it was a lot of fun opening those to chase the mirrors...I ended up with a Jason Kendall mirror blue. If I get my mitts on another one, I may take a page from [MENTION=10018]BenG76[/MENTION] and open 1 pack per day. Or maybe 1 every time the Royals win - but that could take a couple of seasons to get through the box. :lol:

Members online