User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the worst packing on a shipment you have ever received?

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the worst packing on a shipment you have ever received?

What is the worst shipping job you have ever seen when someone was shipping cards to you?

For me, a couple years back I received a box with a $500 card and it was in NO holder at all - I don't even remember how it was secured, but there was no sleeve, no holder, no anything. Miraculously, it was fine but I almost had a heart attack

What about you?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!
    Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know! www.CansecoCollector.com

tigger0007
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bubble envelope and card was in Top Loader.........with the words.....Do Not Bend....No Machine on the front of the bubble envelope...But the outside of the bubble envelope looked like it was run over by the truck! Inside was a card that I purchased for $85.00....2008 Upper deck Heroes Ken Griffey Jr. auto/gu black card serial to only 25! I could see the Top Loader was crushed and the card was damaged. After filing claim for insurance from the USPO....a few weeks later got $85.00.....Best regards, David
    Losted in Space, on Gilligian's island without a boat, can't get back into Narnia, struck in a time machine!

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had some pretty bad ones in the past but most recently I purchased a BC auto from Canada that cost over $6 for S&H.

I received the card in a non padded envelope. Card wasn't in a top loader, just in a sleeve with a few base cards taped around it on each side. It's a miracle that the card wasn't damaged, especially since it came all the way from Canada.

I realize it's more expensive to ship from Canada but for $6 could I at least get a padded envelope & top loader? Is that really asking too much?
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> http://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair it was in a penny sleeve and sandwiched between two top loaders that were taped...and this isn't really a holy grail GU piece like a Ruth prime patch or something but I was really excited when I won this card at the time. I once got a National Treasures Cobb/Shoeless Joe/Eddie Collins triple bat card in a plain white envelope that was paid for with a bunch of stamps. The envelope had nothing in it but the card taped between two top loaders. They weren't even 75pt or 100pt toploaders...they were the regular ones you'd put commons in. I won that card when the product just came out and it was from a seller with a lot of feedback who had a bunch of cards up for sale, albeit mainly not high-end ones but still.

I guess he knew what he was doing because the card was actually in perfect condition at the end of the day...

Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Years ago I won a $400 card from Japan. Card arrived in a PWE, wrapped inside in nothing but a single tissue (no toploader, penny sleeve). Somehow the card was in perfect shape.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too many to remember. Many people are just dumb when it comes to shipping sports collectibles I guess.

The latest FAIL was an 8x10 card stock item in a priority mailer. Aside from the bare card placed in the mailer, there were two smaller sized cardboard "stiffeners". They were both about 1/2 the size of the card itself and not much sturdier than the mailer itself. On the outside was the magic phrase that most sellers must thing protects them from harm (and Liability)..."Please don't bend". This was after I stated very clearly that I wanted this protected properly, as it was a redemption card that some people may just feel will be tossed once redeemed.

Result was the mailer was munched and the stiffeners helped the card itself to be munched where they were too short to protect the item front and back and the card bent around the end of the stiffeners.

Morons!

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last card from ebay was 7.50 shipping PWE piece of cradboard and a penny sleeve

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Topps R&N China Porcelain Card in a bubble mailer and paper towel. Yeah - didn't survive.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got a $50 card yesterday in a PWE and penny sleeve, not even a top loader.

Scott F
    Mariano Rivera Super Collector. Always buying rare Mo's - PSA's, Auto's, Patches, Printing Plates, or any other rare Mo's. I PAY MORE THAN ANYONE FOR MARIANO'S I NEED.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PWE with penny sleeve and toploader appropriately taped is fine with me.

I can't decide whether the no-toploader option is worse than the so-over-protected-that-you-might-damage-the-card-trying-to-get-to-it option.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received a card in a penny sleeve/toploader/team bag, between 2 extremely sturdy pieces of cardboard, wrapped in bubbles, then INSIDE a bubble mailer, inside a priority mail small flat rate box.

Someone along the way dropped it in a toilet or something, because everything was drenched, including the card.

I'll take a PWE/tissue that arrives perfectly, over a well-packed destroyed card.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    two that come to mind - a $5-10'ish cert auto card mailed in PWE just wrapped by a paper towel (no penny sleeve, no toploader).

In 2001, one of the Donruss sets had the final cards of the checklist as rookies or something numbered to 1500 (or 1999?) . Ordered a lot of those for trying to complete the set and the seller put them in a 25-ct plastic case. The case got smashed in shipping, shards everywhere, every card damaged. That's why I don't like it when I get stuff shipped in plastic cases because it brings up a horrible memory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goobmcnasty View Post
    I received a card in a penny sleeve/toploader/team bag, between 2 extremely sturdy pieces of cardboard, wrapped in bubbles, then INSIDE a bubble mailer, inside a priority mail small flat rate box.

Someone along the way dropped it in a toilet or something, because everything was drenched, including the card.

I'll take a PWE/tissue that arrives perfectly, over a well-packed destroyed card.
    Sounds secure and typical shipping job. Not his fault for that sounds like a P.O. problem

TxRyanCards
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several good posts here about loose cards with no protection. I've had my share of those with mixed results. But of all the cards that have come to me damaged, the most common cause has been due to the seller/trader's poor attempt at protection. Two examples:

1. Taking a thick jersey/patch card and JAMMING it into an undersized top-loader. This ruined a perfectly good 08 Navy Blue Jersey card of Justin Morneau (#/50) that I really needed for my master Twins 08 Heroes set as well as a few others. The card was fine until they forced it into a holder causing crimps, creases, and wrinkles. Generally, overly tight "protection" actually ruins cards. They shouldn't be sent loose in a PWE, but over zealous protection can be equally bad.

2. I have been burned several times (mostly from trades) on Chrome cards coming to me all scratched up. If you don't sleeve chrome cards, they WILL end up scratched. And if they are placed into a top-loader without first going in a penny sleeve, they will get scratched going in or coming out of the top-loaded almost every time.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 03supto View Post
    Sounds secure and typical shipping job. Not his fault for that sounds like a P.O. problem
    Yeah, that was my point. Sometimes a PWE with no protection gets their safer than a well-packed card will all sorts of protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast