Thread: Cost of Wax Packs 25 Years Ago

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cost of Wax Packs 25 Years Ago

In the late 80s/early 90s, I remember going to card shops and looking at the prices of wax packs. From what I recall (if memory serves) is this:

1986 Donruss $10
    1987 Donruss $5
    1987 Fleer $7

Does anyone else remember how much packs of the older wax was going for?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!
    Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know! www.CansecoCollector.com

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of the shops I went to 25 years ago had any old wax. Of those 3, two are still around today, and it's still pretty much the same. Anything with any value at all has long since been sold.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases and Grady Sizemores I don't have

tigger0007
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1993 Topps Finest (first chrome cards) $20.00 per pack. Best regards, David PS first Refractor/rainbow colors!
    Losted in Space, on Gilligian's island without a boat, can't get back into Narnia, struck in a time machine!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first set I remember going way up very soon after release was 1990 Leaf I and II.

I think they went from $2.50 per pack to $7 and $10 pretty darn quick...
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David K. View Post
    1993 Topps Finest (first chrome cards) $20.00 per pack. Best regards, David PS first Refractor/rainbow colors!
    I remember saving to buy a few packs of this when they were released; $15/pack I think. "Refractor? What's a refractor?" were my exact words to the guy in the card shop. lol
    One pack I bought when my grandma and I were out and about. It was hot that day and I opened the pack in the cool A/C of the car...pulled a Frank Thomas AS, so I was happy but worried that the card was going to melt!
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letch77 View Post
    I remember saving to buy a few packs of this when they were released; $15/pack I think. "Refractor? What's a refractor?" were my exact words to the guy in the card shop. lol
    "It's really shiny" was always the response I got. They didn't know either, but they had to say something.

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goobmcnasty View Post
    "It's really shiny" was always the response I got. They didn't know either, but they had to say something.
    Haha - I wonder how people would describe a refractor nowadays if one didn't exist. It...uh..ermm....looks like a glowing rainbow from heaven?!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!
    Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know! www.CansecoCollector.com

tigger0007
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
    Haha - I wonder how people would describe a refractor nowadays if one didn't exist. It...uh..ermm....looks like a glowing rainbow from heaven?!
    In the light or sunlight........no light...it looks darker than the other cards. Best regards, David PS pulled a Piazza refractor...sold it for over $300.00. Best regards, David
    Losted in Space, on Gilligian's island without a boat, can't get back into Narnia, struck in a time machine!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
    In my family (me being the only collector with two non-collectors)... "Shiney" is chrome card, "extra shiney" or "chrome with a rainbow shine" are how I talk about refractors to them.

As for the rest of this thread, no card shop pricing but Walgreen's in the mid 80's - 1984 and 1985 Topps baseball were 50 cents a pack. I do remember a 1989 local card show where Upper Deck packs were sold and vividly remember $1 price tag sticker on each pack at one of the dealers at the show and wondered if they were really worth just under double the price of the other brands single packs i was purchasing from drug stores or average price per pack when purchased as a box at price club.