User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pissed at Burbank

juangris311
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need the $15 card more than the $1 cards because you already found/purchased the $1 cards, correct? I know nothing else about this scenario except that the $15 card has eluded you and may actually be slightly more rare/expensive. A $14 difference does seem extreme so there has got to be something at play. I've been blocking burbanksportscards and a few others in my daily search for well over a year now so I have no dog in this fight.
    Always Looking For Adam Dunn Autograph Cards!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I admit that at first glance, it does seem preposterous that Burbank might target specific collectors with their pricing. And of course it is preposterous. But that doesn't mean it's not true. Nobody has offered an alternative explanation for why the one card Brad needs is 15x the cost of the other cards, which are as close to identical as you can get.

Burbank didn't get to be as big as it is because they're bad at marketing. Also, people have always engaged in all sorts of devious and shady "marketing" practices. I know for an absolute fact that certain ebay sellers have started marking up their prices on Alomar cards because they know I'm out there...and I'm a small fish that rarely throws money at their overpriced cards. If one guy in his basement can do this for individual sellers, why can't Burbank do this on a larger scale? Brad is a more established collector with his Grace PC and people know it. Chris also says he's seen this happen. What's more, these tactics are getting pretty advanced now. They don't even have to hire an intern to continually scan collector webpages and message boards. Any programmer will tell you it's not all that hard to search the net to identify cards on people's wantlists. FCB has bots crawling around it all the time, and who knows what information they are looking for.

So for my part, I think this is fishy as hell, and I could totally believe that Burbank is price gouging here. We'll see if Eddie will reply to Brad's second question
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pissed at Burbank

Only plausible reason I can think is that they have 2 of one of the others available and 3 copies of the 3rd card. The $15 card they only have one copy in stock so maybe they’re basing price on availability. For some cards I have purchased from them in the past I think I saw prices rise on there remaining last copy. Internal Supply based?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's well established that demand will drive prices higher. Look at what happened with Galarraga and Vizquel. I see it happening on a much smaller scale with Steve Garvey, as one buyer will quickly buy just about anything new at seemingly unheard of pricing (BINs) and when I want something as well, I will toss out some high bids, resulting in some pretty unusual end prices for a player like him that has a much narrower collecting base. Many folks have taken notice and started items at much higher prices than I feel is normal. The other side to that strategy is that that once he and/or I get our copies, the price falls exponentially. If someone missed the boat and tries to list a lower print run card for crazy money and we both have it already, it will sit forever at that price.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pile of 100 of these gallery points cards sitting around. Sorry, no dice on my end.

Burbank is interesting though. While some cards are priced high-ish (the one you cited here was stupid high) most are reasonable enough. Every now and then you can find a nice steal. Just got one in this week that will sell for 5x what I paid and I would have gladly paid at least double. Guess with those guys it’s just about picking your spots.

I know a Nomo collector who has been chasing one of the points cards for 20 years now. So I am convinced some of these points are shorter printed FWIW.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

cmcjr99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banjar View Post
    Nobody has offered an alternative explanation for why the one card Brad needs is 15x the cost of the other cards, which are as close to identical as you can get.
    one possible idea : aside from the differences in quantity available that someone else mentioned already , the high priced one is the only one that is a new listing.....
    I collect any and all South Carolina Gamec0cks in any sport including players and coaches .
    Master set projects
    football : 2000 Finest , 2001 Bowman's Best , 2004 Fleer Tradition`, and 2017 Donruss
    baseball : 2002 Topps Chrome and 2007 Topps
    Claude's Desperate Plea for Help After Dad's Death (pay pal pool)

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No follow up answer to my second question, despite the "If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask" line. I was polite and was honest about wanting to include it in a larger order. If they had priced this card even at a very high $5, I would have bought it and bought a couple other cards they had listed since shipping would be covered. Instead, they've lost me as a customer because of lack of response and questionable pricing. I've always refused to be held hostage for PC cards I can wait on, even if it will take years to find.

This card was a glaring example. They've also priced some 2004 Diamond Kings cards I don't have at very high prices in comparison to what they should be ($60-$90 for cards that have historically sold $15-$50).

_______

Eddie,

Do you have any explanation why this card (312124846830) is priced at $15, while same player-brand-insert-scarcity cards (312124847274) and (362295993415) you have listed are priced at $1 each? Seems strange. I would like to include this card in a larger order, but a fair price would be at what the other two cards are priced at.

Regards,
    Brad

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gracecollector View Post

_______

Eddie,

Do you have any explanation why this card (312124846830) is priced at $15, while same player-brand-insert-scarcity cards (312124847274) and (362295993415) you have listed are priced at $1 each? Seems strange. I would like to include this card in a larger order, but a fair price would be at what the other two cards are priced at.

Regards,
    Brad
    My prediction how this will end is he simply will increase the $1 cards to $15 to blend in and "fix" the problem of inconsistencies... mostly as a FU.

That is the Burbank way.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may help. Per Beckett:
    The 1998 Topps Gallery Auction Points cards, while made particularly scarce by its limited production run,with the 75 point card being most rare (due, according to rumour, to Grace’s objection to the use of the number 75). Only three of the cards that survive are in decent condition.

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JVHaste View Post
    My prediction how this will end is he simply will increase the $1 cards to $15 to blend in and "fix" the problem of inconsistencies... mostly as a FU.

That is the Burbank way.
    Their cards, they can do what they want. I'm not going to loose any sleep over a Tony Womack card, that's for sure!

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn545 View Post
    This may help. Per Beckett:
    The 1998 Topps Gallery Auction Points cards, while made particularly scarce by its limited production run,with the 75 point card being most rare (due, according to rumour, to Grace’s objection to the use of the number 75). Only three of the cards that survive are in decent condition.
    Grace and every other Cub - not one player in franchise history has worn #75!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their cards, they can do what they want. I'm not going to loose any sleep over a Tony Womack card, that's for sure!
    LOL, wise words!

I had to google his stats to remember him, turns out his entire career WAR was in the 2s

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grace and every other Cub - not one player in franchise history has worn #75!
    Probably doesn't mean anything.
    According to BaseballReference.com, no Cub has worn numbers 65, 69, 70, 73, 74, 75, 77-93, 95, 97, 98.

Source:
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...-numbers.shtml
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Probably doesn't mean anything.
    According to BaseballReference.com, no Cub has worn numbers 65, 69, 70, 73, 74, 75, 77-93, 95, 97, 98.

Source:
    https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...-numbers.shtml
    This is too funny of a thread and as I collect gwynn and am in need of the ink point 10 and missed in a lot for $.99 and would pay $20 for it. Lol. Really your issue is that you want the card so bad it is frustrating you because we all know that Burbank is hoarding cards that we all want. Lol

I feel
    Your pain. My advice, pay it and be done with it and then you have a story and can still hate them.

This guy hoarding a gwynn on me that had 25 copies ten hit eBay sold for 10-25. Wouldn’t budge if $45 and has best offer and wouldn’t take a nickel off and wouldn’t take the best offer off.

I said merry Christmas and paid him the $45. Then he throws in extra cards of players. Lmao. Got $10 clear on eBay.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@cgilmo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1991.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	314.9 KB 
ID:	79688

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast