User Tag List

Thread: Message from ebay today...what are your thoughts?

lanlord99
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Message from ebay today...what are your thoughts?

Dear Kevin,

eBay supports tax policy that is fair to entrepreneurs, artisans, and small businesses, which are vital to the American economy, and we oppose efforts to impose taxes that would harm these businesses. Millions of people across the country sell on the eBay marketplace, and there has never been a more critical time to stand against new and unfair Internet taxes.

The U.S. Supreme Court will make a decision in the coming weeks that could give states the right to tax every small business on the Internet.

The issue is just as urgent on Capitol Hill, as states, shopping centers, and large retailers lobby hard to increase taxes on small businesses and their online customers. When the Supreme Court makes its decision, it will bring together the various threads on the issue of Internet sales tax.

Our leaders in Washington, D.C., and in state capitals across America need to know how you feel about these new and harmful Internet tax burdens. Please digitally sign this petition to show political leaders that you stand with us against these new taxes. It should take less than three minutes. We'll deliver your signatures to President Trump, key members of Congress, and select state governors.

Rest assured that eBay will continue to fight this battle on behalf of all of our valued customers. Thank you for taking a stand for millions of small businesses across the America.

Sincerely,

Scott Cutler
    SVP, Americas Marketplace
    eBay

cmcjr99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no real opinion as to the message but i do know that they have been fighting certain aspects of tax legislation (primarily the possible changes to the current laws that would require all sellers to pay sales taxes to the location of the buyer and based on the tax rates in that location) and they have been posting similar announcements on site and sending out similar e-mails to sellers several times a year going back for AT LEAST a decade now....
    Last edited by gamecockfanatic; 05-07-2018 at 03:59 PM.
    I collect any and all South Carolina Gamec0cks in any sport including players and coaches .
    Master set projects
    football : 2000 Finest , 2001 Bowman's Best , 2004 Fleer Tradition`, and 2017 Donruss
    baseball : 2002 Topps Chrome and 2007 Topps
    Claude's Desperate Plea for Help After Dad's Death (pay pal pool)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The buyers would also have to pay taxes. I signed up.

fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    570 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My only issue is that all this new tax money isn't going to do anything.

It will just get thrown on the government pile and we will corporately spend and spend and spend and not accomplish a damn thing.
    Check out the FCB Community Sports Card Podcast
    Wanna host? PM Me! We would love to have YOU on the podcast.

lanlord99
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the taxes go through for ebay sellers/buyers, will they start doing the same thing for card shows, conventions, flea markets, garage sales, craigslist?

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if we only sell on boards are we safe from the tax? At least for now?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

tigger0007
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First the Supreme Court has to make a decision first......then if they decide that the state can tax businesses on ebay.......Hopefully, it will be a small tax passed on to buyers to help the business with the tax.......so if they .....the state says 3% on business tax.....the business might pass a 1% tax onto the buyers. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks. Best regards, David
    Losted in Space, on Gilligian's island without a boat, can't get back into Narnia, struck in a time machine!

tigger0007
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New tax is not going to do anything?? Taxes run this government........the last 8 years government departments have been unfunded with cut backs....I'm glad to be retired and not have work three to four different jobs for very little pay and have the threats of more cuts hanging over us. Best regards, David
    Losted in Space, on Gilligian's island without a boat, can't get back into Narnia, struck in a time machine!

fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    570 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David K. View Post
    New tax is not going to do anything?? Taxes run this government........the last 8 years government departments have been unfunded with cut backs....I'm glad to be retired and not have work three to four different jobs for very little pay and have the threats of more cuts hanging over us. Best regards, David
    The issue isnít income, itís expenditures.

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Check out the FCB Community Sports Card Podcast
    Wanna host? PM Me! We would love to have YOU on the podcast.

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thought is that the internet has been one giant tax loophole, it probably does need to fall under the same regulation that a brick and mortar does. I was certainly not around but I would imagine when state sales tax was first started everyone probably thought it would be the end of everything. I don't see this as a big deal. If I buy something on eBay from someone who lives in Connecticut and it has the same 6.35% tax that it would if I went into a store I don't see that as a huge problem.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David K. View Post
    I think what was being said was the extra money wouldnít accomplish anything. The government keeps getting more and more money yet want more not need more. When there is funding to study the mating of the tsetse fly we have spending problems. If taxes were put to good use Iím sure more people would be willing to pay more but.................
    When you spend money thatís not yours itís not spent in the wisest ways and thatís why resistance to new taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigger0007
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgilmo View Post
    The issue isn’t income, it’s expenditures.

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    No...its taxes by the state on Business! Best regards, David

tigger0007
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maestracewslover View Post
    I think what was being said was the extra money wouldnít accomplish anything. The government keeps getting more and more money yet want more not need more. When there is funding to study the mating of the tsetse fly we have spending problems. If taxes were put to good use Iím sure more people would be willing to pay more but.................
    When you spend money thatís not yours itís not spent in the wisest ways and thatís why resistance to new taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Study of mating of the tsetse fly....Studies help prevent dieases.......mating Mosquito females with males that have been treated..prevents more mosquitos from passing on the dieases to you and your families! Best regards, David

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLARNOLD View Post
    If the taxes go through for ebay sellers/buyers, will they start doing the same thing for card shows, conventions, flea markets, garage sales, craigslist?
    In my state, you would have to be paying taxes for all those venues if you conduct the transaction face to face in my state. My state is a gross receipts tax state so everything (goods and services except for grocery store food but including restaurant food) is taxed unlike some states that have no sales/GRT taxes or taxes on goods but not services.

I hope if taxes on internet sales come to fruition, it's based on the tax of the seller or at least the state of the buyer so you have to deal with 1 taxrate (seller) or 50 tax rates (buyer state) instead of who knows how many thousands of state/county/city/special in-city taxation districts that you as a seller would have to deal with and submit taxes to each month. It was a pain in the ass with 18 different state tax returns when I had a special stock income situation but I can't imagine thousands of filings (taxes owed or none owed but have to file anyway) to have to make each month to all these taxing authorities.

JEBJJA29
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at a recent show and a tax guy came through there getting names and info from dealers asking if they had tax ID numbers etc. It was the only time the promoter has seen that in over 12 years of doing the show...

Quote Originally Posted by KLARNOLD View Post