Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Braves Ownership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
ok, I"m dying of curiosity here. How many of you have ownership in the Braves? I think it's a great time to have a piece of the team pie with the Braves having a great young season so far and the youth appearing that they may be ready to help the Braves achieve success for many years to come.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Don't want Machado. He'll be super expensive and besides we have Austin Riley who's going to get the call any minute now the way he's been killing the minors. Also, this team is not lacking in offense. In fact we lead the league in the vast majority of offensive categories.

Keep the focus on the minor league system and our home grown talent (like the Astros did). Albies & Acuna are just the first of more to come. Austin Riley has got future All-star written all over him too.

Pitching prospects are trickier than position players. Often it takes them much longer to reach their potential, if they ever do at all. Considering the fact most of our top prospects are pitchers I wouldn't mind spending some money on a free agent or making a trade for one quality starter. Wouldn't mind picking up a relief pitcher or two either, as I don't trust our bullpen.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I don’t get it, are the Braves publicly owned, like the Packers?

Yes, you can have a very small sliver of the Braves if you own BATRA (Liberty Media Braves) which gives you partial ownership of the Braves, the minor league clubs the Braves/Liberty Media owns (essentially the whole farm system except for the Fire Frogs), the new ballpark and the retail area around the ballpark.

Packers are more like a ceremonial public ownership - you buy shares so they can fundraise for construction or whatever, but you can't sell the shares except back to the Packers for essentially nothing. BATRA is traded on the NASDAQ exchange so you buy and sell it like a stock. No dividend is paid on BATRA so you are relying on stock appreciation for now.

I'm surprised more people don't have part ownership in the Braves like I do. I think my BATRA investment will perform better/create more wealth in the long term than hoarding a stash of Albies, Acuna, Soroka, etc. cards.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Yes, you can have a very small sliver of the Braves if you own BATRA (Liberty Media Braves) which gives you partial ownership of the Braves, the minor league clubs the Braves/Liberty Media owns (essentially the whole farm system except for the Fire Frogs), the new ballpark and the retail area around the ballpark.

Packers are more like a ceremonial public ownership - you buy shares so they can fundraise for construction or whatever, but you can't sell the shares except back to the Packers for essentially nothing. BATRA is traded on the NASDAQ exchange so you buy and sell it like a stock. No dividend is paid on BATRA so you are relying on stock appreciation for now.

I'm surprised more people don't have part ownership in the Braves like I do. I think my BATRA investment will perform better/create more wealth in the long term than hoarding a stash of Albies, Acuna, Soroka, etc. cards.

Hmm, interesting, never heard of this before

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side

I was completely unaware of this. Since I know very little about the stock market I likely won't be buying any but it still sounds very interesting. If I were more educated on how the stock market worked I'd probably give it a shot.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
. Since I know very little about the stock market

Read Jim Cramer's book 'mad money - watch TV and get rich". It made me a much better stock picker thanks to the great explanations of stock terms and the stock screening checklist given in the book. PS, don't take Jim's word as gospel about the stocks he recommends. Do your stock screening checklist from the book and do your own homework to see if you should invest and get comfortable with whatever decision you make.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Read Jim Cramer's book 'mad money - watch TV and get rich". It made me a much better stock picker thanks to the great explanations of stock terms and the stock screening checklist given in the book. PS, don't take Jim's word as gospel about the stocks he recommends. Do your stock screening checklist from the book and do your own homework to see if you should invest and get comfortable with whatever decision you make.
In Bowman chrome autos too!

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
In Bowman chrome autos too!

right on the money. Picking prospects is a lot like picking stocks when you think about having to do research and maybe even screening worksheets. I'm good at stocks, haven't tried prospects since I'm not a prospect miner but rather set collector.

JBust80

May 11, 2018
North Carolina
Don't want Machado. He'll be super expensive and besides we have Austin Riley who's going to get the call any minute now the way he's been killing the minors. Also, this team is not lacking in offense. In fact we lead the league in the vast majority of offensive categories.

Keep the focus on the minor league system and our home grown talent (like the Astros did). Albies & Acuna are just the first of more to come. Austin Riley has got future All-star written all over him too.

I only mentioned Machado b/c we clearly need an upgrade at 3rd, but I wasn't aware of this Riley kid. He does sound like a future All-star for sure! He hit three homers and knocked in eight runs for Triple-A Gwinnett on Sunday!! Maybe Bautista is a short-term solution until they call him up, soon I hope!

ESPN did a great piece on the Braves recently, if you didn't see: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23505607/atlanta-braves-taking-look-2015-chicago-cubs

JBust80

May 11, 2018
North Carolina

I only mentioned Machado b/c we clearly need an upgrade at 3rd, but I wasn't aware of this Riley kid. He does sound like a future All-star for sure! He hit three homers and knocked in eight runs for Triple-A Gwinnett on Sunday!! Maybe Bautista is a short-term solution until they call him up, soon I hope!

ESPN did a great piece on the Braves recently, if you didn't see: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23505607/atlanta-braves-taking-look-2015-chicago-cubs

hockeyfights

Mar 4, 2011
Georgia
I bought a lot of the class A and class C Liberty Media Braves shares for my IRA at the IPO (BATRA & BATRK). I've done really well because of the new ballpark and the Braves success so far on the field and the profitability of the team and surrounding projects. Both stocks are up 38-45% since the IPO. Maybe a new ownership group comes in and buys the Braves and the shareholders get a really nice return :cool:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I've done really well because of the new ballpark and the Braves success so far on the field and the profitability of the team and surrounding projects. Both stocks are up 38-45% since the IPO. Maybe a new ownership group comes in and buys the Braves and the shareholders get a really nice return :cool:

I'm up 35%. Sweet return considering the length of time I've held the stock but it's no amazon, netflix, boeing or apple when it comes to the performance of some of the other stocks in my portfolio.

I'm not ready for Mark Zuckerberg to buy the team yet and hope it doesn't happen for years. The success on the field should lead to great revenue growth in the future as you get fans in the seats, probably find a way to get more fans in the ballpark, find more sponsorship opportunities (I can't believe they haven't NASCAR'd the Freeze yet!) and get more people to bum around the ballpark area before and after the games in the retail area.

Members online