Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Red card for Rizzo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I won't say it's intent to injure, I look at it just like a slide to second to break up the double play, it does look worse and I'm sure he will get plunked hard tomorrow and I have no problem with that either, but he was able to stay in the baseline to make contact with home so it's the gray area of legal, but looks pretty bad.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
It really did look bad. I'm just glad the catcher didn't get hurt. Rizzo did make it a point to ask the catcher if he was ok the next time he came up to bat. I really don't think Rizzo is a dirty player. But I thought the same thing about Utley until his slide into second base.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
The catcher is out in front of the plate. The runner is well out of place inside the base line in a situation he shouldn’t be.

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Would you have thought the same thing if it was at second and Mercer was throwing to first?

It's a break up slide we see every day at second but for some reason because it's at home plate people hate it. It's also important to note it looks like he goes out of his way to not go in spikes up. I think that makes it look worse because he's fidgeting around more than usual but it would have been much easier for him to Spike Diaz in the calf/Achilles and that would have been worse.

The baserunner is still in position to touch the plate. If you look at his back leg it appears to be inside of the basepath and his slide path will take him across the plate. If im the catcher I don't go to the front of the plate I go to the 1st base side of the plate.. The review ruled this play as no interference..

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Would you have thought the same thing if it was at second and Mercer was throwing to first?

It's a break up slide we see every day at second but for some reason because it's at home plate people hate it. It's also important to note it looks like he goes out of his way to not go in spikes up. I think that makes it look worse because he's fidgeting around more than usual but it would have been much easier for him to Spike Diaz in the calf/Achilles and that would have been worse.

You are not wrong but these plays have been deemed "old school" and unsafe.
There is sliding to break up the DP and then there is going out of your way, a-la Chase Utley, to affect the play. Had the Catcher been on the plate the slide is MORE THAN acceptable but he is in front of the plate well in advance of the slide.

My guess is that this year will be chippy between these division foes.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
You are not wrong but these plays have been deemed "old school" and unsafe.
There is sliding to break up the DP and then there is going out of your way, a-la Chase Utley, to affect the play. Had the Catcher been on the plate the slide is MORE THAN acceptable but he is in front of the plate well in advance of the slide.

My guess is that this year will be chippy between these division foes.

I don't disagree at all that it's questionable, but it wasn't illegal, that's all I'm saying and he easily could have made it worse. All he's trying to do is prevent another out from occuring and he did it legally. I fully expect him to take a heater in the back during his first AB today, and i support that too.
I had to explain to a bunch of passive baseball fans why Tyler Austin shouldn't be arrested for assault earlier this year when he went hard into second and I'm as big a Sox fan as the next guy. It's a part of the game right now, until it becomes illegal I say do what you can to win.

Members online