Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Recent slab pickups / grading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Continuing the Hall of Famer tilt below are the Randy Johnson and Frank Thomas slabs. A little irritated at the Johnson as its put in backwards--normally the info is on the right more than likely its headed back with another one they put in backwards. They also mislabeled a Carlos Beltran card as Roy Oswalt and that's going back as well. The Nomo was the Gold version # to 25 = a throw in slab I'm sure [MENTION=3722]madbull34[/MENTION] would appreciate

Big dog slabs will be upcoming almost there scan wise just have to get some eBay stuff ready for listing first

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Continuing the Hall of Famer tilt below are the Randy Johnson and Frank Thomas slabs. A little irritated at the Johnson as its put in backwards--normally the info is on the right more than likely its headed back with another one they put in backwards. They also mislabeled a Carlos Beltran card as Roy Oswalt and that's going back as well. The Nomo was the Gold version # to 25 = a throw in slab I'm sure [MENTION=3722]madbull34[/MENTION] would appreciate

Big dog slabs will be upcoming almost there scan wise just have to get some eBay stuff ready for listing first

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That Nomo's a stunner!

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
That Nomo's a stunner!

Yeah I figured you'd like that one [MENTION=3722]madbull34[/MENTION]

Waited 5 months almost for these to pop ( 108 business days) but finally protected and definitely heading to the bank safety deposit box Monday when it opens. As I've shown prior slabbing all my HOF players - modern first vintage later down the line Its tough when one has to commute 100 miles to ones storage facility to get stuff out ( live in Vegas storage units in Utah)

The Red Sox foursome I have shown this one before- has 3 current HOF and if he can keep his mouth shut 10 minutes Schilling will make it in. Its unlikely most people will gem these foil cards- its just that difficult to keep them in great shape

The Orioles foursome was more difficult to get- with just 25 produced took a Ripken guy selling for me to find one
All 4 being Hall of Famers fits in with my HOF theme

The Awesome 8 shortstops card is loaded with HOF players but is perplexing- why Tejada got put in makes no sense at all if they wanted a current player who might make the HOF then Omar Vizquel at the time would have made more sense. Then again never sure why card companies do what they do. The fact its Jeters uniform # was coincidental.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Yeah I figured you'd like that one [MENTION=3722]madbull34[/MENTION]

Waited 5 months almost for these to pop ( 108 business days) but finally protected and definitely heading to the bank safety deposit box Monday when it opens. As I've shown prior slabbing all my HOF players - modern first vintage later down the line Its tough when one has to commute 100 miles to ones storage facility to get stuff out ( live in Vegas storage units in Utah)

The Red Sox foursome I have shown this one before- has 3 current HOF and if he can keep his mouth shut 10 minutes Schilling will make it in. Its unlikely most people will gem these foil cards- its just that difficult to keep them in great shape

The Orioles foursome was more difficult to get- with just 25 produced took a Ripken guy selling for me to find one
All 4 being Hall of Famers fits in with my HOF theme

The Awesome 8 shortstops card is loaded with HOF players but is perplexing- why Tejada got put in makes no sense at all if they wanted a current player who might make the HOF then Omar Vizquel at the time would have made more sense. Then again never sure why card companies do what they do. The fact its Jeters uniform # was coincidental.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Even more perplexing to me than Tejada is why they put Ozzie in a Padres jersey.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Some resale back from PSA -slow going on scans as I try and make sense of stuff afte rmy move and a system not cooperating
Bills now under control-stress was unbelievable for 2 months. More focused and controlled now.
Will scan more as I can

attachment.php

attachment.php

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Last of the scans for today. These Prominence are thick items- tough to gem so happy with the grades

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Will be posting some recent slabs as I catch up on various projects.

Many of you will recognize the Finest Biggio and Finest Arod from prior breaks in my Box a Week Break thread
The Rolen UD Textbook double is from @Allincards 1990's break he ran a while ago.

attachment.php

attachment.php

These Gold labels are from last year ( 2018) same Box a Week thread that I'm just getting around to subbing
I consider TGL regular gold label cards "fillers" unless they are Black or Red labels

attachment.php

attachment.php

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Some Big Mac recently back from the same sub. Still have various years Finest & BC to sub of Mac from the 90's load.
I came across the 87 Green Backs unloading after moving recently
Couldn't believe I'd been still carrying around the set all this time so I cracked it open. First to sub is these Mac's
The checklist is just 1 of 12 in Gem. His regular issue is usually found OC. Mine is slightly off L-R but otherwise- I'm happy
May have to look at the rest of the items.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Those yellow border classics are pretty tough.

Yes Chris [MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION] - that Green back series is a bear to Gem. Was Happy with that one.

More slabs back- these from a sub just back Weds this week. I've apparently perfected mint cards
Now if I could get new glasses ( new prescription maybe?) maybe I can start gemming again lol :lol:

Anyways the first few pics. Will be a slow slog as most are going on feebay

Rookie CC and Rookie Hideki. The Prestige is actually nice-- that series is EXTREMELY tough to Gem
Poor production on it- you'd have to have busted lots of boxes to understand why. Tightly wrapped packs.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Poor corners did these in can see that now. Came from recent box bust down in my Box Break thread- oh well :(

attachment.php

attachment.php

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
More slabs again. The Bagwells are part of a run of stuff being slabbed. Our fellow FCB member [MENTION=9871]timtom[/MENTION] would know about it
Three of the Bagwells stay the base Finest hits feebay tonite :)
The Prestige I'm very happy with-- that set is a bear to gem so 9 is fine for now

Finest Refractors I always keep until I upgrade them
Rolen is part of another project being worked on sorry folks have about 15 projects I'm handling
Anyone grading Pacific cards knows 9's are perfectly acceptable. PSA 10 are rare on some.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
OK last of the batches that came in recently. The Vlad was the one and only Gem that came in.

All of them ( except Helton) came from boxes busted on the Box Break thread
The Helton Jsy was not on the grading order- was a project purchase
Folks just don't realize Mint 9 is not a putdown item on a jersey card-- its above average
Near Mint is the norm on jersey pieces-- Mint 9 and Gem 10 are unusual

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Again [MENTION=9871]timtom[/MENTION] can testify the 2002 Playoff POG items are tough to get in good condition
Easy to find- hard to find in great condition. These came out of the Box Breaks again-- pack fresh
Not thrilled that @PSA doesn't bother differentiation on the jersey pieces aparrently everything is the same designation
Which goes smack in the face of the series which has jersey year, jersey base, jersey number etc etc etc
Kevin [MENTION=1802]Pinbreaker[/MENTION] and a few others will appreciate the Edgar

I expected the 8 on the Henderson although its mislabeled.
Happy on the 2002 POG items. Just hard to gem that series- Mint 9 is fine :)

Oh well :(

attachment.php

attachment.php

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Good looking cards.. Glad to see these coming back with decent grades

The last group in Weds was all 9's and one lone 10. Although a few mint 9 I was fine with based on teh series and stuff rest were feebay material.
Was happy with the Classic Green Backs and the jerseys and a few odd & ends rest were just quick subs that didn't pan out--will sell at a loss if I have to :(

Now going to show some stuff I've been waiting to slab for a while- PC stuff
Clemens registry finally being worked on after 3 years of not being worked on :grin:

Next one brings personal satisfaction to me as it completes the protection of 1 subseries
Anyone who has worked on the Absolute series can attest to being happy to complete even 1 subset

2005 Absolute Tools of the Trade Prime Pieces- Red Sox # 21

This subset has 3 pieces-- a dual # to 100 , a Triple Prime # to just 15, and a Quad Prime # to 5
I don't expect to get the 1/1 nor do I care if I do - far as I'm concerned I completed the subseries I wanted

Below is the last piece to come in. Amazingly I had the Quad Prime # to 5 slabbed first before the other 2 - go figure !!
Not surprised as back then I bought low # stuff first then filled in the blanks afterwards
Afterwards in this case meant waiting 10+ years for the Triple # to 15 to show :(

Without further ado. I'm cool with the grade I only cared about protetcing the item from future damages

attachment.php

attachment.php

And his brothers the Dual and the Quad

attachment.php

attachment.php

This next 2005 Absolute sub series is also now complete in my mind

2005 Absolute Tools of the Trade Swatch Prime Black # 175

There is a Single and a Double Prime Black-- both a 1/1 and not a concern to me
I never worry about 1/1 if I can get one great if not no loss of sleep

So that leaves the other two-- The Triple and the Quad
Both of which are numbered to just 5 apiece

I somehow acquired two of the Triple Prime pieces 8 years apart
Just recently last year acquired the Quad Prime piece

So another one completed and protected now-- wihout further ado the Prime Black Swatch # 175 subseries

attachment.php

attachment.php

And his brothers already slabbed

attachment.php

attachment.php

OK this next series is the 2005 Absolute Tools of the Trade Swatch Prime Red # 175

There is a Double Prime Red 175 # to just 5
There is a Triple Prime Red 175 # to just 10
There is a Quad prime Red 175 # to just 10

I have yet to see any of them over the years- until last November
After a 13 year wait-- up one finally pops.
The Double Prime Red # to 5 popped up. I wiz thru my cards, wiz thru my registry- nope- don't seem to have it

As usual I seem to knock off the lowest # first and wait on the others for some reason
And the condition-- just gravy
Search continues for the two numbered to 10

attachment.php

attachment.php

More to follow folks while I catch up on scanning

Jeff

Last edited:

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Finally got around to slabbing this one after 3 years

attachment.php

attachment.php

Completes the 2004 Leaf Limited Button series for # 135 (Astros) / # 182 (Red Sox) / and # 190 (Yankees)
Sheer dumb luck of being in right place and right time with the right group of friends
Always eems these buttons came up right after I spent that months budget

Forever grateful to two posters who aren't around much - Roy [MENTION=2060]Roy Birchler[/MENTION] and Amy [MENTION=2997]aprimo[/MENTION]
Without [MENTION=1802]Pinbreaker[/MENTION] like usual the last one either
All 3 helped me obtain the #1 versions-- what this hobbies all about far as I'm concerned :grouphug:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
A couple new Nomars back from BGS- should be getting more back soon as well as some Clemens

attachment.php

attachment.php

Got a Clemens panel back also but doesn't fit my scanner gotta wait til wifey wakes up and can send me the picture

Members online

Latest posts