Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Droppin some knowledge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I feel there's few things in life more important than knowing crap about our hobby.

I mean, how many times have you gone up to a pretty girl in a bar and she won't give you the time of day because you don't know the origin of "Donruss"

Therefore, I am willing to give you the hobby knowledge and random info you need and deserve to make it in this world.

Donruss is a combo of the founders names, Don and Russ.

Donruss Rated Rookie notation was first placed on the back of some 1983 cards

Finest came out first in 1992 as a football set sealed in a plastic box.

Fleer ultra was originally going to be named Elite until Donruss threatened lawsuit

There's two versions of Mantle's 1952 topps card involving direction of stitches on the baseball on back.

It is completely totally impossible to find a well centered 2003 bowman draft Preston Larrison card (seriously, check comc and ebay)

There's only ONE Baseball hall of fame player pictured in a Yankees uniform on his Topps RC (Bobby Cox)

From 1952-1992, only 1970 did not have a rookie card of a hall of famer from a major issue.

Google 1952 topps Woolworths and you'll see an image of a fully stocked store with boxes and boxes of 1952 topps.

2001 bowman Miguel Cabrera is definitely not him on the card

According to reports back then, topps made 4.1 MILLION of each of their cards in 1991

BUT that same issue is home to some of the most valuable cards from the junk wax era (error/ variation cards)

Billy Ripken has stated that he thinks Fleer enhanced the "F Face" on his bat knob on his 89 card

Upper Deck cards first came out in 1988 as promo cards

The very first run of 1988 Score cards were recalled due to cutting problems

For the thirtieth anniversary, topps issued a reprint set of 1952 and when word broke of this, collectors were afraid their original cards would become worthless

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The very first run of 1988 Score cards were recalled due to cutting problems
I remember when 1988 Score came out and the colorful cards and action shots were beautiful, but the cards had an annoying fuzzy "tag" on a corner of each card.

When Score soon printed cards with 4 sharp corners, some dealers actually called the "tagged" cards errors and rare misprints and charged more for them. That didn't last long because no one paid more for them.

I used an exacto knife to cut off the tags on the good cards like Mattingly, Sam Horn and Gregg Jefferies.

There's only ONE Baseball hall of fame player pictured in a Yankees uniform on his Topps RC (Bobby Cox)
That streak will continue when Mariano Rivera is elected since he's wearing trendy '90s school clothes on his only rookie from '92 Bowman.
Jeter will finally break the streak.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Fun fact. Topps left off/misnumbered two cards in pack-issued 2018 Topps Series 2. The two cards leaving a hole in the checklist of sets built from packs are team cards for the Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Mets, teams located in the top 2 U.S. metro areas. Those team cards exist as duplicate card numbers with cards featuring players. The Loch Ness Monster claims the card numbers will be corrected in factory sets so factory sets will not have those holes in the numbering.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
If you find a woman in a bar that's impressed you have one of three things 1-someone so desperate she will pretend anything is interesting. 2-someone who was already interested so they are humoring you. 3-the least likely scenario, marriage material.

JBust80

May 11, 2018
North Carolina
2ufx8ir.jpg

Verdammt

Feb 4, 2014
Wichita, KS
I remember when 1988 Score came out and the colorful cards and action shots were beautiful, but the cards had an annoying fuzzy "tag" on a corner of each card.

When Score soon printed cards with 4 sharp corners, some dealers actually called the "tagged" cards errors and rare misprints and charged more for them. That didn't last long because no one paid more for them.

I used an exacto knife to cut off the tags on the good cards like Mattingly, Sam Horn and Gregg Jefferies.

My buddy and I bought so many boxes of 88 Score that not only could we look at a card and tell you the next cards under it, but we had built 13 sets, all of them missing 1 card.....Gregg Jefferies. Could never figure out why we never pulled one of his cards.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
My buddy and I bought so many boxes of 88 Score that not only could we look at a card and tell you the next cards under it, but we had built 13 sets, all of them missing 1 card.....Gregg Jefferies. Could never figure out why we never pulled one of his cards.
If you bought these boxes from dealers, great chance the packs were searched as that was the key card.

I used to search them as a kid as the Jefferies and any prospect were the last cards In the pack and could easily be maneuvered in the see through pack to reveal the players names.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Here's some more, guaranteed to get you to second base in a date:

I believe the only time modern bowman product actually had corrected error cards (in the same issue) was 2002 Draft which had both versions of Drew Henson and Brett Myers cards.

The 2002 Prospect Premieres card of Matt Pender pictures Curtis Granderson. The only way to obtain a corrected Pender card was to send the error to upper deck.

The 1985 topps card of Gary Pettis pictures his relative

Tamper evident packs were first used by Topps in 1983 when they test marketed a mylar wrapper in Michigan

The photo on Joe Namath's rookie card was taken at a hospital as he was propped up against a wall as he was on crutches

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I'm taking this knowledge straight to the brothel tonight...maybe they'll actually let me pay for sex this time...well at least not "spike my drink, take my wallet and have their pimp toss me in the dumpster" after I pay this time.

That last bit about the corrected error cards in 2002 Draft will have the ladies creaming

Jun 28, 2018
Oakland, CA
As Jay Z once said: Ain't no stoppin, the champagne from poppin, the drawers from droppin, the law from watchin...

...for those who know baseball card facts. And I'll be honest, I knew none of these facts. Neat post. Moar!

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
1981 topps traded was numbered as a continuation of the base set until the following year because collectors complained they didn't want to buy (or couldn't find it) to add to the base set.

Vernon Wells' father is the artist for the early 90s upper deck art checklist/ cards.
The David Justice Braves checklist features a boy in the stands and that's Vernon.

Bump Wills had back to back corrected error cards in 1978 & 1979

The legendary 96/97 Topps Chrome Basketball set was supposed to be a one time issue (meaning the only chrome basketball set to be produced)

1956 Topps Hank Aaron pictures Willie Mays in the action photo

1957 Aaron is a reversed negative

Last edited:

Members online