User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Exit Interview: I'm Retiring from Collecting Canseco and Selling Out

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do know that traditionally this stuff gets posted April 1st and not July 1st, right? It's called APRIL fools, not JULY fools.

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck Tanner.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I enjoyed your contributions over the past few years, I can now say I respect the man behind them as well. This is not to say I did NOT respect you then, but rather I feel more connected with you and your message there in.

About 5 years ago I had the same epiphany as you, and set aside my collection habbits. I found spending that time and money with my family much more rewarding.

As I look back now, My then 1 year old daughter is almost 7 and as they grow and learn so fast, I am pleased that I placed that additional time in her.

As you may, I still enjoy following the hobby, but no longer do I invest my time in it like I once did. I believe it has made me a richer and more fufilled man. Further, I would not trade one second of time additionally with my family for any of it back.

To each their own, but for me (and apparently you) the time came to set asside the wonderful addiction and follow another path.

I wish you well and just wanted to say you are not alone. Many, like you and I have made the same decision and as result have a much richer life for it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you discussed this with Jose? Iím interested in knowing if he cares one way or the other.

Iíve toyed with the idea of stopping adding to my collection, but never selling. The financial gain (loss in actuality) is just not worth the time Iíve put in. Iím also afraid I would regret it down the road. Maybe you can warehouse it somewhere away from home? Reassess when the kids are older.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Collecting McGwire

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I"ve posted these before but the Jose collectors on here might enjoy. My scanner is out so snapshots of snapshots will have to do. Enjoy!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15356916_1143678955686865_984156607_n.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	80970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15403262_1143678975686863_790468839_n.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	80971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15415930_1143678995686861_984169293_n.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	80972
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exit Interview: I'm Retiring from Collecting Canseco and Selling Out

Good luck and Iím glad you have control over your decision. As an outside observer, I feel like this moment was inevitable. Liberation!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on your latest acquisition!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Cal Ripken Supercollector

***Tradelist***

My Cal Ripken Collection

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to hit it right on the head here. I have had a roller coaster ride collecting, mostly since I discovered the ability to trade and buy online. Prior to that, collecting was fairly simple as I was either a minor with limited access to extra dollars or was out for a short period when collecting really was not possible on a regular basis (pre-internet military service). Once I was an adult and had unlimited access to just about anything, I racked up a lot of debt buying anything and everything on credit and finally had to shut it down to avoid a financial catastrophe. I recovered from that episode, but have continued to collect. I do stray, as I have a pretty wide interest in general, but try to focus on what I enjoy the most and although I still spend a pretty fair amount of money, I have a much better job and I keep my spending within check.

I have thought a lot about ending my collecting, mostly because my kids do not have an interest and I am getting older. However, I know that I would miss it too much to stop at this time. Cards are a stress reliever for me that distracts me from the daily grind. I believe that knowing I can't get it all and accepting that has helped a lot. It doesn't hurt that most of my collecting interests can be obtained for less than most hardcore prospectors spend on can't miss players that won't turn out to be anything or overpaying for hyped superstars who have nowhere but down to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Everything in moderation is the way to health and happiness. So many people in this hobby and on this board have suddenly burned out because of their obsession. There are so many more importaint in life, but it doesn't mean you have to leave cold turkey. Just simplify your hobby.
    Good luck Tanner, but I would also predict that you'll miss it, and based on what I have heard from you about your past, you'll miss it too much to stop cold turkey and you'll likely be back for another round. I would also suggest storing the collection (assuming you do not need money from it immediately), taking a break and coming back to it in a period of time. You can always sell it off later.

mantle7man
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always suggest IP and TTM autograph collecting to everyone, because it doesn't cost a fortune and you will enjoy checking your mail more!!!!
    Collector of Autographs, TTM autographs, Vintage, Yankees and Mantle
    Sets completed 1955-1965, 1967, 1969, 1951 Topps Red & Blue Back, 1951 Bowman, 1955 Bowman, 1963 Fleer, 1965 Topps Embossed, 1961 Topps Stamps, 1962 Topps Stamps & 1968 Topps Game.
    Yankee needs:Two 1962 Topps stamp pairs. Need T209 Contentnea Roanoke players.dano 7 by Danny Secrist, on Flickr

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
    Thank you so much guys! Again, I'll re-iterate: If anyone at all has any thoughts their collecting becoming and addiction, hit me up. I'd love to tell you what has been going on on this side of the fence. It is livable and there is less anxiety
    Not sure if weíve ever interacted but Iíve always enjoyed reading your posts.

I havenít collected in two years, in part because I was addicted. I was ditching time with my family to mess with cards. Hell, one time while out to dinner I lied to my girlfriend and said I had to use the restroom....because I had to set a snipe for a baseball card. I was throwing away vacation money busting wax for a rush. I never cared about having the ďbestĒ collection, but being a completist and having OCD made me spend money like it was a competition. Idk if youíve ever done drugs, but the longer you do them the shorter and less intense the high is, which usually leads consuming more in an attempt to match how it used to make you feel. Thatís how I started feeling with maildays especially. I used to get a $500 card and be satisfied for the next month. Iíd stare at it, display it, etc...eventually that feeling started lasting for five minutes. Iíd look at it, put it in a box, then start scouring eBay trying to find my next ďhit.Ē

Thatís when I knew it was no longer fun. Idk if you can be ďaddictedĒ to cards per se, but I was exhibiting clinical symptoms of addiction. When it starts affecting human relationships and your mental health itís time to call it quits. Iíve also quit drinking, smoking cigs, and Adderall since then.

Iíve been going through my cards looking for stuff to sell...I was kinda hoping the magic would come back. So far it hasnít. Whatever emotional attachment I had to cards seems like itís gone. Iíll probably keep my Marlins collection since itís from my childhood (and also probably worthless), still torn on my Stantonís though. Do Yankees fans even like him? Sure Iíll lose a ton if I sell.

I really wish I could get back into cards, just scared if I do Iíll go right back to my old habits.

Featured Contributor
    Vintage Corner

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshHamilton View Post
    Not sure if we’ve ever interacted but I’ve always enjoyed reading your posts.

I haven’t collected in two years, in part because I was addicted. I was ditching time with my family to mess with cards. Hell, one time while out to dinner I lied to my girlfriend and said I had to use the restroom....because I had to set a snipe for a baseball card. I was throwing away vacation money busting wax for a rush. I never cared about having the “best” collection, but being a completist and having OCD made me spend money like it was a competition. Idk if you’ve ever done drugs, but the longer you do them the shorter and less intense the high is, which usually leads consuming more in an attempt to match how it used to make you feel. That’s how I started feeling with maildays especially. I used to get a $500 card and be satisfied for the next month. I’d stare at it, display it, etc...eventually that feeling started lasting for five minutes. I’d look at it, put it in a box, then start scouring eBay trying to find my next “hit.”

That’s when I knew it was no longer fun. Idk if you can be “addicted” to cards per se, but I was exhibiting clinical symptoms of addiction. When it starts affecting human relationships and your mental health it’s time to call it quits. I’ve also quit drinking, smoking cigs, and Adderall since then.

I’ve been going through my cards looking for stuff to sell...I was kinda hoping the magic would come back. So far it hasn’t. Whatever emotional attachment I had to cards seems like it’s gone. I’ll probably keep my Marlins collection since it’s from my childhood (and also probably worthless), still torn on my Stanton’s though. Do Yankees fans even like him? Sure I’ll lose a ton if I sell.

I really wish I could get back into cards, just scared if I do I’ll go right back to my old habits.

I have bought and sold my collection several times in the 40+ years I have collected and about ten years ago I sold off everything again, mainly because I realized my twenty-something year old children had no interest in whatever stuff I had. I lied to myself that the collection was for the kids and faced with the reality that they will not want it I decided to sell everything. Now I am still in the hobby but collecting only those things that mean anything to me which is the Topps sets I had when I was a child and a few other items that have caught my eye.

Turning your back on something like cards, drugs, smoking even overeating is not easy but it is the right thing to do as those addictions certainly are taking you away from those things that should be more important. I commend anyone who has been able to walk away from their addictions and live a great life. It was surprisingly easy for me to walk away from trying to collect everything and now, it seems I enjoy this hobby far more than I ever have. Sometimes less really is more!!

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshHamilton View Post
    Not sure if we’ve ever interacted but I’ve always enjoyed reading your posts.

I haven’t collected in two years, in part because I was addicted. I was ditching time with my family to mess with cards. Hell, one time while out to dinner I lied to my girlfriend and said I had to use the restroom....because I had to set a snipe for a baseball card. I was throwing away vacation money busting wax for a rush. I never cared about having the “best” collection, but being a completist and having OCD made me spend money like it was a competition. Idk if you’ve ever done drugs, but the longer you do them the shorter and less intense the high is, which usually leads consuming more in an attempt to match how it used to make you feel. That’s how I started feeling with maildays especially. I used to get a $500 card and be satisfied for the next month. I’d stare at it, display it, etc...eventually that feeling started lasting for five minutes. I’d look at it, put it in a box, then start scouring eBay trying to find my next “hit.”

That’s when I knew it was no longer fun. Idk if you can be “addicted” to cards per se, but I was exhibiting clinical symptoms of addiction. When it starts affecting human relationships and your mental health it’s time to call it quits. I’ve also quit drinking, smoking cigs, and Adderall since then.

I’ve been going through my cards looking for stuff to sell...I was kinda hoping the magic would come back. So far it hasn’t. Whatever emotional attachment I had to cards seems like it’s gone. I’ll probably keep my Marlins collection since it’s from my childhood (and also probably worthless), still torn on my Stanton’s though. Do Yankees fans even like him? Sure I’ll lose a ton if I sell.

I really wish I could get back into cards, just scared if I do I’ll go right back to my old habits.
    Very well said! I definitely think it is something to be thankful for - not feeling the spark again. I'm sure many of us have felt the same things you have ... I know I have and can connect with that on so many levels.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!
    Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know! www.CansecoCollector.com

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the well written story and good luck with your book!

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seemed like you were taking things a little too extreme these past two years. I'm not surprised by the burnout. Everything in moderation. I've come dangerously close to taking things too far as well, before scaling things back. Every collector needs to know that you can't have everything, and you'll be happier if you narrow your collection's focus instead of broadening it. Good luck as you transition to new projects - be they family, travel, hobbies, etc. You have talent, passion and creativity and those qualities can be applied in so many directions. Find happiness, and keep God and Family first!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - as always - Tanner, for sharing. Wish you the best going forth. Will miss your update posts, but glad you're happy with your decision - this is more shocking "decision" news than LeBron to the Lakers!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast