Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NiGhT cReW ~ jUlY 2018 - fCb BbQ eDiTiOn...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I’m with my family in Gulf Shores for the week of the 4th. We’ve had a great day and a half here so far, except for the two thunderstorms we’ve endured. There’s been some beautiful lightning displays.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Tanner had a great run... probably should have been hired by Topps at some point. When I saw his ***** mustache disappear I knew he was halfway out the door. ;)

Not sure what I will do for the 4th, if Im in the mood I will go on the roof and watch people around here shoot some fireworks. Hope you a have a fun time at Gulf Shores.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Tanner had a great run... probably should have been hired by Topps at some point. When I saw his ***** mustache disappear I knew he was halfway out the door. ;)

Not sure what I will do for the 4th, if Im in the mood I will go on the roof and watch people around here shoot some fireworks. Hope you a have a fun time at Gulf Shores.

I’m not sure what we’re going to do on the 4th either. We come here often, and have made the mistake of driving to the pier to watch fireworks and we literally sat in traffic for over three hours afterward trying to get to our condo which was 1.5 miles away. It was miserable.

We’re never doing that again.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
evening. I've never completely given up collecting. simply put it on the back burner or further due to whatever life had going on. Wish anyone the best that chooses to step away for whatever reason. As far as my collecting goes, I get distracted and buy crap I don't need

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Hey D-bags! Sam, thanks for starting our Independence Month thread. I hope your vacation goes well this week. This is the first year in quite some time that I will have the day off. I'm excited. Its gonna be hotter than satan's taint here but thats ok. Mosquitos, humidity, and fireworks. WOOHOO!!!

As for Tanner stepping away, I'm a little shocked that he's just giving up. I guess I can understand though. Its kinda like when I was chasing Ryan Zimmerman cards. I mean, yeah, there were some amazing cards out there and I wanted them all, but I just kinda got burned out because after a while, it was all the same piece of cardboard. I read the thread on the other site and just kinda shook my head. I have to believe that there is something else going on that would force the guy to get rid of everything he worked so hard for. I hope not, but I just can't fathom someone wanting to get rid of a treasure like he amassed. Thats just my opinion. I have enjoyed all of the threads and stories he has shared over the years. I was kinda hoping he would have a second thought and keep his collection but just stop chasing new cards. Kinda like the Vizquel dudes did on ebay. It just kinda fizzled out after a furious spree of purchasing. I wish him well.

As for the 4th, what is everyone's favorite food to eat? For me, I gotta go with a good ole chargrilled cheeseburger with baked beans, chips, and an icy cold beverage!

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I am extremely curious about the financial side of Tanner stepping away from the Canseco game and deciding to sell most of his collection.

I just can’t imagine him getting anywhere near close to his investment back. He seemed to collect for the love of it and I’m sure he overpaid on many items in his collection, and I’m just not sure how many other people out there who would be willing to do that.

I’m really happy for Tanner, I’m also really interested in seeing the return on his investment.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Fun to see my name pop up here :) Happy July folks!

As for the whats/whys/hows/etc. everything in my video and story is basically the whole kit & kaboodle. I would feel safe to say there was literally no other reason that led me to get out. I wouldn't say I got burned out of it, because I still loved the cards. I just feel like this is what God wants me to do. It helps a lot feeling I cannot accomplish anything major anymore either.

While I never did buy to sell, I tried to be smart...sometimes at least! :) There were many auction style listings I'd lose out on, but to make up for it, I would work extra hard on getting things before they'd hit eBay. With that said, I'd sometimes go hard on cards to make sure they didn't hit ebay.

Selling off cards has been strangely fun. I don't know why, either. It is like it has become the next challenge: to make as much of my money back as possible. So far, things are going very well and I'll be happy as a clam if things continue on this path. I am prepared for it to take a year or so to sell everything, but you never know. Tomorrow, on the other hand, is a different story. I have a LOT to ship out and mark off my website. It is like another job, but it's all good.

For the 4th, it's gonna likely be the dullest one in my existence. My family is on a mission trip and I'm here with the dogs. One of which is the 3 legged great dane and she is psychotic ... yeah ... that's gonna be REAL fun when the fireworks hit, lol!

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Tanner, I want you to know that I meant no harm in my post above. My mind races sometimes and I get alternative thoughts running around about things. No, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I just can't comprehend having a oncein a lifetime treasure and just letting it go. I do believe in God and know he works in wonderful ways. I've seen it time and time again working as a firefighter. And I believe you in what you wrote. Its just hard for me to sit here and admire someone for their passion in someting I share a love for just step aside from a certain part of it. I do remember that it was said that we shouldn't covet things in our lives but man, it just kinda breaks my heart to see someone give it all up. I applaud you for making such a bold decision and I hope that you can recoup some of what you have invested so that you may use your earnings toward your future endeavors. Again, my thoughts were just that......random thoughts on a very late Sunday night/early Monday morning.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Tanner, I want you to know that I meant no harm in my post above. My mind races sometimes and I get alternative thoughts running around about things. No, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I just can't comprehend having a oncein a lifetime treasure and just letting it go. I do believe in God and know he works in wonderful ways. I've seen it time and time again working as a firefighter. And I believe you in what you wrote. Its just hard for me to sit here and admire someone for their passion in someting I share a love for just step aside from a certain part of it. I do remember that it was said that we shouldn't covet things in our lives but man, it just kinda breaks my heart to see someone give it all up. I applaud you for making such a bold decision and I hope that you can recoup some of what you have invested so that you may use your earnings toward your future endeavors. Again, my thoughts were just that......random thoughts on a very late Sunday night/early Monday morning.

Oh, no worries at all! I had this thought in my head pop up every so often, but didn't really do anything with it. I do recall one day, staying off of eBay for like ... 2 hours. Other than that, for 3-4 years, I was on it every single stinking day. I was definitely dedicated! Part of that is how I feel that I reached the top, so to speak. To ring the bell at the top is one thing, but to stay there is quite another. That just isn't something healthy for me to keep at. I'm grateful for the forums, my website and the pictures, because it all helps me hang onto the memories of it all. I love that part of it all so much!

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
At first I thought it was another hoax by you, but it sounds like a good time to get out. They say a complete climb of Mt Everest is to go to the top, AND the bottom on your own power... so I guess you're scaling down the mountain before you become an icicle! :) Recently I sent away my first Crusade as part of the contest and it didn't hurt that bad... actually felt kind of good because someone else gets to enjoy it now.

When you create amazing cards, does collecting (company) cards lose its luster? I would imagine if you could design anything in your brain then perhaps standard releases seem less cool. idk.

I must go read the whole thread now, Its longer than the Harry Potter series so give me a little time! ;)

oh, and did you ever get the Red Crusade?

mouschi

May 18, 2012
You rang the bell alright. King Canseco should be your nickname.

It's funny you say that ... a former (the original) Canseco supercollector reached out to me - he was big back over 10 years ago and he was telling me about how the term "Canseco King" was used. I guess he made it and then was given down to the from one canseco supercollector to another.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
The hoax I am referring to is the epic post where he pretends to find a super rare grocery store Canseco that somehow survived and then April Fools us at the end. That was classic Tanner :lol:

mouschi

May 18, 2012
At first I thought it was another hoax by you, but it sounds like a good time to get out. They say a complete climb of Mt Everest is to go to the top, AND the bottom on your own power... so I guess you're scaling down the mountain before you become an icicle! :) Recently I sent away my first Crusade as part of the contest and it didn't hurt that bad... actually felt kind of good because someone else gets to enjoy it now.

When you create amazing cards, does collecting (company) cards lose its luster? I would imagine if you could design anything in your brain then perhaps standard releases seem less cool. idk.

I must go read the whole thread now, Its longer than the Harry Potter series so give me a little time! ;)

oh, and did you ever get the Red Crusade?

Thanks! You know, after creating cards, no. "Real" cards never lost anything for me. I always loved them - there is something to be said about getting a cool card that you didn't make, lol!

As for the red crusade - yes! I got it and ended up selling it back to the guy I bought it from, believe it or not :)

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Scoring a card as rare as that Red seems like a sign indeed that its time to move on.. congrats!

I wonder if a guy like Jose would ever want to own some of his rarer cards. . . he appears to have the cash for it.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Scoring a card as rare as that Red seems like a sign indeed that its time to move on.. congrats!

I wonder if a guy like Jose would ever want to own some of his rarer cards. . . he appears to have the cash for it.

He doesn't care one bit for cards unfortunately! Or fortunately ... ha ... I couldn't even imagine trying to go up against him at auctions!

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
He doesn't care one bit for cards unfortunately! Or fortunately ... ha ... I couldn't even imagine trying to go up against him at auctions!

Yeah I guess if he cared he would have also cared years ago, and then you would have been outbid back then.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Everyone in the family except me was invited to the annual family BBQ get together in Indiana. It probably has something to do with the fact I brought a ****** to the last one while high on blow.

Oh well, my uncle sucks at the grill anyway. You'd think it would be virtually impossible to screw up a burger but somehow he manages to.