User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Sports Heroes, Feats & Facts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a teen I subscribed to and later completed my set of Sportscaster cards so this set is a good fit for me. Just bought my first binder of Sports Heroes on ebay last week...about 200 sheets...and discovered this thread last night after a search. Am curious as to how they were issued...were they in 12 card packs? 1,080 cards would be 90 total packs...almost the same amount of packs as Sportscasters but they were issued in 24 card packs for 91 series. Anyone have Sports Heroes duplicates for sale or trade? Let me know. Also was this the same company that did Sports Pages? Lots of questions but thanks for any help.
    John

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tpeichel34
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orioles70 View Post
    When I was a teen I subscribed to and later completed my set of Sportscaster cards so this set is a good fit for me. Just bought my first binder of Sports Heroes on ebay last week...about 200 sheets...and discovered this thread last night after a search. Am curious as to how they were issued...were they in 12 card packs? 1,080 cards would be 90 total packs...almost the same amount of packs as Sportscasters but they were issued in 24 card packs for 91 series. Anyone have Sports Heroes duplicates for sale or trade? Let me know. Also was this the same company that did Sports Pages? Lots of questions but thanks for any help.
    John

From what I have seen with the unopened packs, you get 12 items:

2 Baseball Champions
    2 Basketball Champions
    2 Football Champions
    2 Greatest Moments
    1 Bloopers & Trivia
    1 Poster Page
    1 All-Sports Champion
    1 Record Book
    Thanks to MOFNY for finally getting me motivated to start a website:

www.supercollectorcatalog.com

Here is a link to the cameo section:

http://www.supercollectorcatalog.com/cameo-index.html

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John

Sent you a pm direct

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

tpeichel34
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Packet 21c only had 10 sheets, no football, I wonder if all the Packet 21 variations only had 10 sheets?

BURE,PAVEL 1994 Sports Heroes Feats & Facts - All-Sports Champions #023 Pkt.21c variation
    CLEMENTE,ROBERTO 1994 Sports Heroes Feats & Facts - Baseball Champion #010 Pkt.21c variation
    RIPKEN JR,CAL 1994 Sports Heroes Feats & Facts - Baseball Champion #021 Pkt.21c variation (Highlights: 15-Time All-Star Selection)
    BAYLOR,ELGIN 1994 Sports Heroes Feats & Facts - Basketball Champions #012 Pkt.21c variation
    STARKS,JOHN 1994 Sports Heroes Feats & Facts - Basketball Champions #051 Pkt.21c variation (Highlights: NBA Sixth Man Award Winner 1997, NBA All-Star Selection 1994, NBA Record 13 3-Pointers in a 3-Game Playoff Series 1996)
    JOHNSON,MAGIC 1994 Sports Heroes Feats & Facts - Bloopers & Trivia #007 Pkt.21c variation
    SWANN,LYNN 1994 Sports Heroes Feats & Facts - Greatest Moments #030 Pkt.21c variation
    SHAQ 1994 Sports Heroes Feats & Facts - Poster Pages #025 Pkt.21c variation
    JACKSON,REGGIE 1994 Sports Heroes Feats & Facts - Record Book #004 Pkt.21c variation
    LEWIS,CARL 1994 Sports Heroes Feats & Facts - Record Book 39 Pkt.21c variation

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see these have some appeal. I have 43 of them in binder that I tried to at a garage sale. Still had the $5 sticker on it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Collecting Interests
    Justin Upton - need everything not listed here
    Star Autos baseball late 80s - present
    Ohio State baseball/football/basketball autos - 1 per player
    Vintage baseball - mostly pre-war

Photobucket

tpeichel34
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mrmopar - I have a Watters in a 49ers uniform, but I'm very surprised you don't have it as it was part of the first edition, Pkt.18 I believe.

tpeichel34
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm working on documenting all the variations from a individual player perspective rather than a set collector and these are my observations so far. The first edition is 1994, but the last year these were distributed is hard to tell. Maybe 1998? I've purchased three different "starter" binders with 17 packets of 12 items. My starter sets have all been different, so they seem to have changed the starter set each year. At the packet level, whenever a player in the packet changed teams, an error was found, or a player reached a new milestone, it seems like the entire packet was updated and appended with a new packet number as @mrmopar showed in his screenshot at the beginning of the thread.

Here are the variations I am seeing outside of the Packet release numbering:

All Sports Champions/Baseball Champions/Basketball Champions/Football Champions - jersey changes, individual player highlights on the front page, How Good Was He? and other sections on the back where the player is compared to others and the stats and players that are compared often change

Bloopers & Trivia - almost never has variations

Greatest Moments - the only variation I've seen on this one is #17 Ali vs Liston. In Pkt.17 Ali's opponent is wearing black trunks and in future editions his opponent is wearing white trunks. Not sure if the boxer in the white trunk's is a different boxer or Liston from a different fight, but someone noticed it was incorrect and fixed it.

Poster Pages - jersey changes and the questions for these seem to almost always change

Record Book - jersey changes (not many) and on the front there is a vertical bar listing different records for the topic, for instance, Super Bowl records. These records are updated for each package release

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpeichel View Post
    @mrmopar - I have a Watters in a 49ers uniform, but I'm very surprised you don't have it as it was part of the first edition, Pkt.18 I believe.
    I guess it depends on when the original buyer was getting the pages. I have fewer of the higher numbers, presumably because they were issued later in the game. However, we also know that they were not issued sequentially, so some of the higher numbers are more common. Not sure why I have missed certain variations.

I have only noticed physical changes to certain pages when they stood out, like a new team, but in checking the copyright lines, I have seen variations that way. I never noticed the GM variation for Ali/Liston, bit I do have 3 different copyright versions (03, 03a & 03d). I'll have to look to see if one of them has the different color shorts.

I hope that there are no variations that come w/o a change to the copyright line, otherwise not sure I'd ever catch it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking for Sports Heroes poster pages #9 and #55...not even sure who they are...can anybody help?

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are talking baseball only, 9 is Reggie Jackson and 55 is Don Drysdale. I am sure I have multiples of both.

I am looking for Sports Heroes poster pages #9 and #55...not even sure who they are...can anybody help?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my missing Poster Pages are #9 Cal Ripken and #55 Roberto Alomar...can anybody confirm that or have those to sell or trade?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Alomar issue with him in an Orioles uniform is #55, and I think it was issued in 1997. Sorry I don't have an extra to trade.

I think my missing Poster Pages are #9 Cal Ripken and #55 Roberto Alomar...can anybody confirm that or have those to sell or trade?

Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently bought a complete set of 1,080 Sports Heroes, Feats and Facts pages in 7 Sports Heroes binders for $125 postpaid on Ebay but a quick look thru showed it was missing these 4 pages:

Football Champions

Basketball Champions

Record Book

Can anynody tell me who I am missing? I have a couple hundred duplicates available for trade or willing to buy the ones I am missing.

Thanks in advance for any help
    John

tpeichel34
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Isaiah Rider and Joe Dumars for the basketball.

tpeichel34
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don Hutson is #142 in football.