Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Prospect hype

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
We may show our ages here, but when was the first time you remember hearing real hype about a prospect, and who was it.

I think mine was Generation K...and well, we all know how that turned out...

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
For me, the late '80s with prospects like Gregg Jefferies, Tom Gordon, Mike Harkey, Todd Zeile, and all of those dozens of other minor league hotshots that Baseball Cards Magazine used to hype up, Topps made "Future Stars" cards of, Fleer had the Prospect Duo cards and of course Donruss had Rated Rookies of players who hadn't hit the majors yet.

In the early '80s, rookie cards didn't usually come out until a player reached the majors. Then the prospect boom started in the late '80s, and Topps soon went overboard with the '92 Bowman sets, picturing high school boys in preppy school clothes leaning against trees and in other awkward poses.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
When I was young, I remember one of my best friends trading for all of my 1979 Ozzie smith cards. I was more than happy to take his George Brett cards in return. When I got back into the hobby in the late 90s, the first one that comes to mind was Kerry Wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I've been a baseball fan since the late 80s but I never followed it with enough detail to know about "the next big thing" until the mid/late 90s. I was in high school for Kerry Wood, I remember Andrew Jones first playoff run pretty well. I think Shawn Greene is probably the first name I heard while he was still in the minors though.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Considering my age, the first prospect I can really remember being hyped up be Cardinals fans on his way up was JD Drew.

You would have thought he was the second coming of Mickey Mantle.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Shaq. There was a local radio show called Sportscard Talk hosted by Randy Cook and I remember him talking everyday about this kid drafted by Orlando.

That was a fun talk show...he'd often broadcast on location at different card shops around town and have "pack wars" with the shop owners and customers.

Latest posts