Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Prospect hype

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
I got back into collecting in '87 after buying wax packs as a kid which eventually were thrown out. My 1st purchase was an '87 Topps McGwire and it all took off from there. 1st real prospect investment: Gregg Jefferies, Donruss and Fleer..Ughh! He's a free VIP signer at the National if anyone wants one...::facepalm::
1st real Bowman prospects I started ganging up on were Andruw Jones, Vladimir Guerrero, Nomar Garciaparra and Scott Rolen. Aaand I bought a ton of Todd Greene because he was really cheap which was the 1st of countless "prospecting" mistakes I would go on to regret.

Anyone remember Travis Lee really becoming perhaps the 1st big "2nd Coming" of the early Bowman prospecting era? Mmmm, yea..

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
I got back into collecting in '87 after buying wax packs as a kid which eventually were thrown out. My 1st purchase was an '87 Topps McGwire and it all took off from there. 1st real prospect investment: Gregg Jefferies, Donruss and Fleer..Ughh! He's a free VIP signer at the National if anyone wants one...::facepalm::
1st real Bowman prospects I started ganging up on were Andruw Jones, Vladimir Guerrero, Nomar Garciaparra and Scott Rolen. Aaand I bought a ton of Todd Greene because he was really cheap which was the 1st of countless "prospecting" mistakes I would go on to regret.

Anyone remember Travis Lee really becoming perhaps the 1st big "2nd Coming" of the early Bowman prospecting era? Mmmm, yea..

1997 Bowman Chrome was a monster. Travis Lee and Jose Cruz Jr. were the headliners, but it seems like every RC in that set brought serious coin. Calvin Pickering, Sidney Ponson, etc... Then Kerry Wood threw his 20K game, Fernando Tatis hit 2 Grand Slams in 1 inning, and it was impossible to touch.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side

Considering I lived in AZ during their inaugural season....of course I remember Travis Lee. There were life sized posters of him seemingly everywhere. He was perceived to be the second coming of Jesus Christ himself. The way he was talked about I do believe some folk thought he might actually be able to walk on water....it's just a shame he couldn't hit a baseball.

As for prospecting, I've been a baseball fan since 1994 (yeah, late bloomer) and have seen many prospects hyped like crazy, some who lived up to it but mostly those who didn't, however I never actually decided to invest in a prospect until the Braves empire fell apart in 2014 and I was forced to focus on the farm system cuz the major league team was going nowhere and would be staying there for some time. My very first attempt was Alex Wood...didn't pan out and my investment would remain worthless until he was traded to the Dodgers and put together a very strong first half as a starter & I actually made money. Albies was my next attempt at prospecting and I made out like a bandit with that one. Then I decided to expand my horizons and invest in players outside the Braves farm system. Since then I've made some good (Soto, Acuna) & some bad (Giolito, A.J. Reed...still holding) choices but have not yet had the dishonor to invest in a major bust like Travis Lee or LaPorta yet. I've only been doing this for four years so it's early, that big bust could be right around the corner. I have a lot of money in Eloy Jimenez so I'm hoping it ain't him.

dxoldman

May 27, 2010
Mark McGwire when he played for team USA, but true prospect in the minors was Todd van Poppel.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I remember in 1989-90 chasing guys like Eric Anthony, Greg Jefferies, and Delino Deshields. The first packs I bought were 1989 O-Pee-Chee, but my buddy spent his money on 1989 Donruss, trying to get the card that he said would be the next huge RC... Tom Gordon.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts