Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Looking for some advice on this card. Is it real?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Verdammt

Feb 4, 2014
Wichita, KS
I came across this card on the 'Bay and was wondering if anybody can verify it's authenticity.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tom-Glavine-HOF-Atlanta-Braves-Donruss-Tools-of-the-Trade-Jackie-Robinson-Patch/332752658524

This is the first time I've seen one of these with this particular patch and when I check out the seller, he doesn't have a feedback rating percentage and hasn't been active in over a year. It seems a little suspect to me, but there are some extremely knowledgeable people on these forums, so I would like to get a second opinion or three before bidding on it.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
/25?? My vote:
a363d1a0d8d9e0de3c5ee55a60390482.gif

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I'm no expert on this stuff but doesn't it kinda look like there's visible glue around the edges, most notably the bottom where it looks sort of wet? I don't have much of an eye for this stuff but that stuck out like a sore thing to me.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Go to worthpoint.com and search "Glavine Absolute Tools." You'll see many of the jumbo patches - most of which featured parts of the Braves' tomahawk logo patch from the front of the jersey. There are some amazing patches out of this product, even numbered to 25. And Donruss did use the Jackie Robinson patch in products of this era, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. But given the examples you'll see on worthpoint, I'd lean towards it likely being fake.

https://www.worthpoint.com/inventory/search?query=glavine+absolute+tools&category=

Verdammt

Feb 4, 2014
Wichita, KS
Go to worthpoint.com and search "Glavine Absolute Tools." You'll see many of the jumbo patches - most of which featured parts of the Braves' tomahawk logo patch from the front of the jersey. There are some amazing patches out of this product, even numbered to 25. And Donruss did use the Jackie Robinson patch in products of this era, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. But given the examples you'll see on worthpoint, I'd lean towards it likely being fake.

https://www.worthpoint.com/inventory/search?query=glavine+absolute+tools&category=

Thanks for the link. This will help tremendously in the future.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Interesting, I wonder if some of those are fake too.

1_4b4e6bceddf38f80fb705b536b00db52.jpg

1_984b993adaf2d760cacbf37cd66f3246.jpg

For these limited #d releases they usually only cut up 1 jersey, correct? these 2 should be from the same area on different jerseys then if Im not mistaken.

Ripkenfan126

Jan 5, 2017
I have seen a ripken Jackie slabbed by psa, but also have many cool patches. Several All star game patches as part of this set. I see no evidence of the patch being switched.... I’ve asked people in the past and all agree 100% real.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
I have seen a ripken Jackie slabbed by psa, but also have many cool patches. Several All star game patches as part of this set. I see no evidence of the patch being switched.... I’ve asked people in the past and all agree 100% real.

PSA's is only authenticating the card being authentic, not the patch. In this case a PSA authentic means nothing and would actually be a red flag because to me a seller would be trying to use PSA's "authentication" to fool a buyer.
Anyway, stay away, this card is fake.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
PSA's is only authenticating the card being authentic, not the patch. In this case a PSA authentic means nothing and would actually be a red flag because to me a seller would be trying to use PSA's "authentication" to fool a buyer.
Anyway, stay away, this card is fake.

No doubt. That one poor guy that got raked for thousands in fake Absolute patches slabbed by PSA was hard to watch. Was that a thread on here? 7 or more yeas ago I’m thinking but it was a crap show

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
No doubt. That one poor guy that got raked for thousands in fake Absolute patches slabbed by PSA was hard to watch. Was that a thread on here? 7 or more yeas ago I’m thinking but it was a crap show

Yep, these are such common fakes over the years they've become iconic enough to do a parody of. What about buying a cheap Yankee one and putting a 2007-10 Padres camo patch, or an original DRays patch? :lol:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008

Verdammt

Feb 4, 2014
Wichita, KS
It sold for $49. Either someone is going to be happy they won it, or disappointed it's a fake.

(I tried posting the link to the completed auction, but my link posting skills need some work. You can find it by searching for "Tom Glavine Donruss" under the completed auctions.)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts