Thread: In the process of acquring a grail

broth6
     yowhatupbroth
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the process of acquring a grail

The story behind this transaction is quite incredible. While waiting in line for the national on Thursday I met an autograph collector in line. He's from Buffalo and while we got talking about our collections he asked me if Hank Greenberg had a Goudey card with a green background. I told him yes of course that's his 34 Goudey rookie card. He remembered that he might have had one of his signed, and I immediately perked up and told him that if he found it I will be a potential buyer. We exchanged phone numbers.

Friday rolls around and I am browsing the show and I see The Collector I had met the day before. He told me that he was fairly certain that he had the card. He was also certain that it was not good condition and was afraid of what I might think of it. I told him I didn't care about the condition of the card and I really wanted to see it if in fact he had one.

Saturday morning I get a message from him which included a picture of the card. It was in fact trimmed and autograph was light but I didn't care. It was a Hank Greenberg signed rookie card. He told me that he wanted to do a cash and trade transaction, however it was difficult to place value on the card because it was turned in autograph was light. If the card were in decent condition and the autograph was not faded, the card could be worth anywhere between three and five thousand dollars.

I showed him a picture of a PSA DNA certified autograph of Hank to replace the one that he would be trading to me, which he liked a lot. He then asked me how much it would be to be a good deal for cash. I told him $300. He said, 300 is too much, how about $100?" I nearly fell on the floor. He is a true collector, and was not interested in making a buck off of me. Another thing that struck me was that he liked my autograph better because you could see it and it was not faded. He really left a lasting impression on me and I can't wait to get the card soon. The scan is below.

Collecting Hank Greenberg
    Greenberg Collection

My blog!

mantle7man
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent deal and even better story! Congrats!!!
    Collector of Autographs, TTM autographs, Vintage, Yankees and Mantle
    Sets completed 1955-1965, 1967, 1969, 1951 Topps Red & Blue Back, 1951 Bowman, 1955 Bowman, 1963 Fleer, 1965 Topps Embossed, 1961 Topps Stamps, 1962 Topps Stamps & 1968 Topps Game.
    Yankee needs:Two 1962 Topps stamp pairs. Need T209 Contentnea Roanoke players.dano 7 by Danny Secrist, on Flickr

Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome and congrats! When you mentioned faded I assumed it would be hard to see. That still looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

rebelpawn
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent pickup, Congrats!!! Let us know when it arrives.

tigger0007
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard on the eyes to see he auto! Best regards, David
    Losted in Space, on Gilligian's island without a boat, can't get back into Narnia, struck in a time machine!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a perfect example of beauty in the eye of the beholder. There is almost always a home for any type of card. I like vintage signed cards, but prefer them to be unaltered and the signature to be in good condition. I don't chase really rare or expensive items too, which helps with the budget. I probably would not have even looked twice at that for my collection, but it sounds like it found a home for life in yours. Congrats.

broth6
     yowhatupbroth
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David K. View Post
    Hard on the eyes to see he auto! Best regards, David
    Thanks, David 🙄 Best regards, Brian

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome find, and nice story too. The world just works better when people aren't trying to jam each other over money.
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never been to the national, but most things I read and the general sense I get is that it's strayed far from the original intent and the thought of profit rules everything there. This is a great story and I hope there are many more like it from the event.
    It's like watching the news I guess, only the crappy stuff gets reported regardless of how many great things take place.
    Congrats on the pickup, thanks for sharing!

juangris311
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great story and addition to an already stellar collection.
    Always Looking For Adam Dunn Autograph Cards!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome!
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Super Moderator metallicalex777's Avatar
     metallicaalex777
     metallicalex777
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great write up and addition to your collection Brian! That's pretty great to still be able to experience that kind of hobby excitement through a conversation with that guy. Glad it worked out for you both, and it sounds like the memory already vastly outweighs the value for you both.
    King Felix Hernandez Collector!!!

My Felix Hernandez PC:
    Alex Alex's (metallicalex777) PC - Felix Hernandez Album

broth6
     yowhatupbroth
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelpawn View Post
    Excellent pickup, Congrats!!! Let us know when it arrives.
    Thank you guys for all of the kind words. I'm very excited for this!

Video below

Feel free to sub to my channel if you would like to see me regular updates to my collection