Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2018 National Pickups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timtom

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville, TN
Finally got around to scanning my pickups from the national this year. Overall I had a good time. Had a good amount of pickups, but didn't spend as much money as I expected. I saw a lot of the same dealers I've bought stuff from in the past and ended up buying from a lot of the same people.

So to start out, I got the Super VIP package so I ended up with double VIP card sets. If anyone is interested in those let me know. The one surprise out of the cards was this one:
Cardboard Memories NSCC promo Zappala Auto.jpg
There was a big promo at the national for this book. I guess the card was signed by the author. I was comparing it with some of the other promo cards the people next to me received and noticed that not all of these were signed. Not sure how many were, but it was cool to end up with a surprise. If someone is interested in it let me know.

In terms of pickups, I'll save most of the bagwell cards I picked up for the Bagwell collector thread, but did want to share one:
2003 Leaf Limited Threads Button.jpg
2003 Leaf Limited Threads Button 1/6

I picked this up from Burbank. This was the first year they set up at the National as sellers. They mostly had lower end parallels and numbered cards, but did have a small amount of higher end cards and this happened to be one of them. I have been watching this card on ebay for the last 10 years or so. It's been the same price that whole time, with no ability to make an offer. I was able to talk to one of the guys at the table and we were able to come to a price that I thought was reasonable for the card, which had seemed like would never happen. As I talked I asked if they would be able to make some deals on cards they didn't bring. He told me not at this time, but they were going to rescan their entire inventory, which hopefully means no more stock photos. Also they would be listing everything with the ability to make offers on their cards. Hopefully this is good news to all collectors. I'm hoping that I can pick up a few other cards they have been holding hostage for the last many years.

Had a large variety of pickups:
Barry Bonds 2001 Fleer Bats to the Future Autograph.jpgIvan Rodriguez 2001 Fleer Futures Bats to the Future Autograph.jpgMike Schmidt 2001 Fleer Futures Bats to the Future Autograph.jpgVladimir Guerrero 2001 Fleer Bats to the Future Autograph.jpgTodd Helton 2001 Fleer Futures Bats to the Future Autograph.jpgReggie Jackson 2001 Fleer Futures Bats to the Future Autograph.jpg

One seller had all 6 of these, so I was able to work out a decent deal. Really like these cards with the on card auto and all are hand numbered to 50 on the back

I bought a couple of the blowout supermix national box deals. One was a couple boxes of basketball cards. I don't do basketball at all so I was at least able to sell them to someone to get most of my money back. The other mystery turned out to be a box of 2012 prime cuts baseball so I was excited about that. 2 cards in the box, one was a rookie auto of someone i didn't recognize the other was this:
Jackie Robinson 2012 Prime Cuts Timeline Quad Patch.jpg
All 4 are single color patch pieces #'d 10/25, I don't think I have an Jackie Robinson GU cards so this will be a nice addition to my collection

I did find some gems in the dollar boxes again this year. Nothing to rival the Ripken Wild Vinyl from last year but still some good finds.
Derek Jeter 2005 Diamond Kings Noncanvas.jpg
2005 Diamond Kings Derek Jeter NonCanvas
These have a print run of 20 sets and according to the box odds are inserted at 1:171 packs. I bet they are even more hard to find given that a lot of people don't notice they are different than the base cards

Alex Fernandez 1997 Flair Showcase Legacy.jpgHideo Nomo HIdeki Irabu 1998 Donruss Preferred Great Expectations Diecut.jpgJuan Gonzalez 2000 Skybox Dominion Double Play Warp Tek.jpgScott Rolen 1998 EX 2001 Essential Credentials Now.jpgTroy Glaus 2000 Topps Gold Label Class 3 Gold.jpgVernon Wells 2000 Skybox Dominion New Era Warp Tek.jpg
Picked these up out of various dollar boxes. The Dominion Double play warp tek cards are 1:900 and the new era are 1:300 packs. Also can't complain about a essential credentials now of Rolen for $1

Was able to get this for my Ohio state Football collection:
Kirk Herbstreit 2009 Press Pass Legends Saturday Signatures Inscribed.jpg
2009 Press Pass Legends Saturday Signatures Kirk Herbstriet Inscribed
Not sure how many of these cards are inscribed with the Go Buckeyes, but the print run is usually really low. Card was priced as if it was a regular auto

Albert Pujols 2004 Fleer Sweet Sigs Autograph.jpgAndy Pettite 2004 Fleer Sweet Sigs Autograph.jpg
I've always wanted a Pettite Auto in a Astros Uni so this checked that box and the price was reasonable. Also didn't have a Pujols Auto in my collection and was able to get a decent deal on this one. For some reason this Pujols auto is a really memorable card, maybe because it was on the boxes or pictured in beckett or something like that

Adam Dunn 2003 Upper Deck Super Patch Stripes.jpgAl Kaline 2001 Donruss Elite Back 2 Back Jacks Autograph.jpgCarl Yastrzemski 2000 Fleer 3000 Club Bat Jersey.jpgIvan Rodriguez 2001 Fleer Final Cut Patch.jpgMike Schmidt 2002 Playoff POOG Jersey.jpgMike Schmidt 2001 Fleer Showcase Award Showcase Jersey.jpgTodd Helton 2001 Donruss Bat Kings Studio Series Autographs.jpgScott Rolen 2001 Fleer Final Cut Patch.jpgPaul Molitor 2000 Fleer 3000 Club Bat Jersey.jpg
Most of these are random pickups from the show, mostly for sets I'm working on, some just because I liked them. The Schmidt from 2002 playoff POOG is an SP/50 and the Pudge patch is also a SP from that set

The last day of the show I was able to get a few steals from boxes as people were discounting cards. Picked all for of these up for $5 each
Catfish Hunter 1995 Nabisco Autograph.jpgKevin Appier 1998 Metal Precious Metal Gems.jpgWillie Stargell 1993 Nabisco Autograph.jpgScott Hatteberg 1998 Metal Precious Metal Gems.jpg

Also got 2 of these in a $0.25 box
1998 UD3 Die cut Rainbow.jpg
Both are the Rainbow /100

All in all I had a good time at the show. Was able to work out some sort of deal for most cards that i saw that I wanted, specifically the few Bagwell pickups I had. Look forward to next year in Chicago

Dan

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
That's a wealth of late 90's early 00's goodness there! The Fleer Future set is beautiful; awesome to be able to grab a whole bunch of those at once!

timtom

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville, TN
Very cool, what were the VIP card sets?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Topps 5 cards 1983 design
Thome, Vizquel, Lindor, Kluber, Feller

Panini 10 Cards
Ohtani, Rhys Hoskins, Ozzie Albies, Rafael Devers, Deandre Ayton, Luka Doncic, Marin Bagley III, Sam Darnold, Saquon Barkley, Baker Mayfield

Leaf 4 Cards
Mariano Rivera, Brett Favre, Allen Iverson, Bo Jackson

Upper Deck 5 Cards
Michael Jordan, Lebron James, Serena Williams, Ben Simmons, Tiger Woods

Members online