0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2005 for me

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably 1993. Topps Finest had just been introduced and I remember tagging along with my grandma to antique shops and flea markets, then getting to stop at a card shop on the way home and buying a pack of Finest...(did they debut at $5/pack or $10/pack? I don't remember, only that they were expensive!)
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letch77 View Post
    Probably 1993. Topps Finest had just been introduced and I remember tagging along with my grandma to antique shops and flea markets, then getting to stop at a card shop on the way home and buying a pack of Finest...
    (did they debut at $5/pack or $10/pack? I don't remember, only that they were expensive!)
    They debuted at $3.99 a pack.

http://www.baseballcardpedia.com/index.php/1993_Finest

That was the suggest retail price.
    Of course dealers quickly jacked up the prices.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1987- Introduced baseball cards (Topps) to my 6 year old son.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gotta go with 89', I remember getting the call from the card shop owner to tell me that he finally got Upper Deck. I was on my bike and at the shop in like 10 minutes. I'd been saving for about a month for when they came out, I wasnt making much but had just enough for a box. Pulled the Griffey out of the third pack. 89 was also year I started hitting antique stores and yard sales and actually started to make money with cards. take a chance at the yard sale for 5dollar shoebox, hope for the best, then flip whatever I could for new stuff. I did OK with it, but looking back I would have been better off keeping all the stuff I sold off. the best was getting to know a couple of the antique dealers, they regularly got boxes of cards from estate sales and I had two that would offer me first refusal, they didnt sell cards and didnt know much about them so would offer them to me for next to nothing. I did get tons of early to mid 80's commons, but every once in while there would be a great haul. Best one by far.. 2 68' Ryan Rookies, a 55' Koufax, 55'clemente, 54'aaron and several 50's mantles and mays. it was the dream haul of about 300 cards. I paid 20$ for the box and book Value then was 15K. Sadly, I sold or traded most, with exception of one of the Ryans, the Koufax and the Aaron cards. but by far that was the best year I ever had collecting cards....

mantle7man
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1960 for me. That's the first year I started buying cards to try to complete a set. Got many of the 1960 cards, but 1961 was the first set I completed.
    Collector of Autographs, TTM autographs, Vintage, Yankees and Mantle
    Sets completed 1955-1965, 1967, 1969, 1951 Topps Red & Blue Back, 1951 Bowman, 1955 Bowman, 1963 Fleer, 1965 Topps Embossed, 1961 Topps Stamps, 1962 Topps Stamps & 1968 Topps Game.
    Yankee needs:Two 1962 Topps stamp pairs. Need T209 Contentnea Roanoke players.dano 7 by Danny Secrist, on Flickr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12