User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You ever get lucky on a garage sell find with cards?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never at a garage sale but have had great luck at local flea markets/auctions.
    Got this lot for like $75 a few years back:
    1968 Topps Nolan Ryan RC raw - ended up grading a PSA 4.
    1968 Topps Mickey Mantle raw - ended up grading a PSA 6 MC
    1969 Topps Reggie Jackson RC raw - ended up grading a PSA 2
    1979 Topps Ozzie Smith RC PSA 8.

Got this lot for less than $100 a number of years ago:
    2010 Bowman Chrome Julio Teheran auto
    A bunch of 2011 Bowman Chrome Danny Brewer autos/plates that were all /5 or less including a couple superfractors. Even though he was out of baseball at the time I bought, I sold the auto super for the price I paid for the lot and everything else was pure profit.
    Plus some other bowman chrome autos

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris19978 View Post
    1993 Finest set that had 4 Refractor 3 common and Frank Thomas for $75.00.
    Holy moly what a haul!!!
    Selling that Thomas?
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letch77 View Post
    Holy moly what a haul!!!
    Selling that Thomas?
    I sold that long ago and currently have no access to my cards. In South Korea on a government contract job.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this is a fun one! About 2 months ago I purchased a 220,000 card lot off a guy on Facebook. Guy was closing down a store. I knew I wouldn’t hit anything big but I figured 52 boxes of either 3,200 or 5,000 cards per box could be fun to go through. I’ve gone through 37 boxes so far and have been able to pull out about 4 5,000 count boxes of stars. Nothing big but if I can sell each player lot for a few dollars then I will most likely triple my money back or more. I paid $250 for them all and have since sold less than a third of the cards I already sorted for $150!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, most people think that since the have baseball cards, and they are "vintage" (i.e 20 years old) that they are worth a lot of money. I have seen plenty of cards at garage sales, but rarely, if ever are they priced right. HOWEVER, this one time I went to look at a garage sale ad that mentioned sports cards. The fellow had a few complete sets of random mid 90's cards. They were priced above market value, but I looked anyway. These were put together by hand, so there were some inserts and parallels that were pulled from packs. In the 1997 Fleer set was a David Ortiz (David Arias) Tiffany card. So I bought the set for $50, along with a few other fun ones that probably were not worth the money. Unfortunately for me, this was around 2008/2009 when people thought he might be done. I wound up making a profit, but I am sure the card would go for quite a bit more now, not to mention it probably would have graded at least a 9 (which of course I did not have done). Heck, if it made a 10, I probably left hundreds on the table. Anyway, fun story nonetheless.

Cheers,

Mark

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i bought a binder had mostly minor leauge stuff for 5 dollars, i bought it for the pro ultra pages must be like 50, 20 or so blank. i use it for my 98 tek stuff.

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No....but I did find a pretty amazing price on a used plunger and slightly soiled undies. So the trip was totally #WorthIt
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> https://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    slightly soiled undies....men's small

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by finestkind View Post
    slightly soiled undies....men's small
    And you can barely notice the ass smudge
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> https://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard as I find it to believe, as I like to go garage sale-ing, only once in recent memory have I found baseball cards.

It was probably 3 or 4 years ago and it was a large shoe box stuffed with what appeared to be mid 70's to mid 80's cards. I grabbed a small stack to flip through and found a 1981 topps Rickey Henderson and a 1985 topps Puckett RC.

Obviously the conditions were left of mint, but I never looked further in the box. The box had no price, and I wound up just walking the away.

I still kick myself for not asking about it and possibly taking it home, would have been fun to flip through...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matfanofold View Post
    Hard as I find it to believe, as I like to go garage sale-ing, only once in recent memory have I found baseball cards.

It was probably 3 or 4 years ago and it was a large shoe box stuffed with what appeared to be mid 70's to mid 80's cards. I grabbed a small stack to flip through and found a 1981 topps Rickey Henderson and a 1985 topps Puckett RC.

Obviously the conditions were left of mint, but I never looked further in the box. The box had no price, and I wound up just walking away.

I still kick myself for not asking about it and possibly taking it home, would have been fun to flip through...
    Since you regret not getting it, what was your original reasoning for leaving without asking the price? You already found a Puckett rookie and it went back to the ‘70s, that would have been more fun to look through than a new box of packs probably only cost you a few bucks.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Since you regret not getting it, what was your original reasoning for leaving without asking the price? You already found a Puckett rookie and it went back to the ‘70s, that would have been more fun to look through than a new box of packs probably only cost you a few bucks.
    At the time I just figured the last thing I needed was another box of baseball cards...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12