User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cards you have no idea are worth money

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the set worth anything? I have 2 of the 2 of the ABCD cards and a couple each of A, B, C & D contest cards.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2003 Topps Future Stars Jung Bong / Brandon Puffer
    -- Stoners love the Bong - Puffer card

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Therion View Post
    2002 Topps Gold Darryl Kile

This card is non-existent. Gold set collectors will have a feeding frenzy when one shows up. Luckily I found one in a lot of random Cardinals cards.
    Just picked one up actually. Is it really that HTF? 🤔

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cards you have no idea are worth money

Quote Originally Posted by Spmjm View Post
    Just picked one up actually. Is it really that HTF?
    Youíre the one that got it for $3 @&Ē$ing dollars on eBay? I hate you so much. Out of jealousy, not actual hate.

It popped up in my search e-mail but was already gone.

Itís only the second copy Iíve ever seen.

EDIT: I now see it was a cross listed card on COMC. So you could have grabbed it in either place.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’re the one that got it for $3 @&”$ing dollars on eBay? I hate you so much. Out of jealousy, not actual hate.

It’s only the second copy I’ve ever seen.

EDIT: I now see it was a cross listed card on COMC. So you could have grabbed it in either place.
    Did they pull them after DK died or something? Shouldn't there be 2002 of them just like the rest of 2002 Topps Golds?
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2018 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some cards are just hard to find, even if they are numbered to a significant amount. I know they don't pack out everything they make, and 4-6% of print runs held back for replacements seems to be a consensus, even for 1/1s and such. And I strongly suspect they don't pack out the whole print runs in equal portions. While there's usually enough supply to not make people notice, sometimes it is. There might be 1990 Kile golds in a box somewhere, along with 1990 2009 Topps Heritage Chrome Jerry Hairstons and the Topps Chromes of that one guy who signed all color refractor autos but bases were never found, and the 2018 A&G Woods.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

lanlord99
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may have occurred in the past but I wonder if a collector could actually control the market for a particular card. Pick a parallel/variation card of a common player from an upcoming set that has 250, 500 or 1000 supposed print run and purchase everyone you see listed in auctions or at shows and hope that set collectors will eventually think that a card is very rare or practically non-existent. After some time, list them individually to create a buzz to drive prices up.

cmcjr99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLARNOLD View Post
    This may have occurred in the past but I wonder if a collector could actually control the market for a particular card. Pick a parallel/variation card of a common player from an upcoming set that has 250, 500 or 1000 supposed print run and purchase everyone you see listed in auctions or at shows and hope that set collectors will eventually think that a card is very rare or practically non-existent. After some time, list them individually to create a buzz to drive prices up.
    quite simply - yes

and if you have any doubts just check out 1996 pinnacle laser view inscriptions erik kramer autographs serially numbered out of 3150....
    Last edited by gamecockfanatic; 11-14-2018 at 06:30 PM.
    I collect any and all South Carolina Gamec0cks in any sport including players and coaches .
    Master set projects
    football : 2000 Finest , 2001 Bowman's Best , 2004 Fleer Tradition`, and 2017 Donruss
    baseball : 2002 Topps Chrome and 2007 Topps
    Claude's Desperate Plea for Help After Dad's Death (pay pal pool)

cmcjr99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry , but this was yet another one-submit-but-double-post error.....
    I collect any and all South Carolina Gamec0cks in any sport including players and coaches .
    Master set projects
    football : 2000 Finest , 2001 Bowman's Best , 2004 Fleer Tradition`, and 2017 Donruss
    baseball : 2002 Topps Chrome and 2007 Topps
    Claude's Desperate Plea for Help After Dad's Death (pay pal pool)

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz1982 View Post
    Did they pull them after DK died or something? Shouldn't there be 2002 of them just like the rest of 2002 Topps Golds?
    One would think so, but in ten years of actively looking for it, that was only the second one Iíve ever seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Youíre the one that got it for $3 @&Ē$ing dollars on eBay? I hate you so much. Out of jealousy, not actual hate.

Itís only the second copy Iíve ever seen.

Ha. Yeah bought it on eBay, had it as a saved search because I stumbled on this thread when I was looking for a 2001 Topps Ed Rogers bat, and thought it was interesting a gold parallel would be that hard to find. As someone else mentioned, wondering if they stopped production when he died (?). But that would be a bizarre move. Maybe someoneís hoarding SP 2002 Kile cards.

At any rate, Iíll be reposting on eBayóonly real reason I bought it was on a whim that it was rare and wanted to add more items to my COMC shipment. Iíll list it for a whopping $10 starting bid. Go nuts.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
    Some cards are just hard to find, even if they are numbered to a significant amount. I know they don't pack out everything they make, and 4-6% of print runs held back for replacements seems to be a consensus, even for 1/1s and such. And I strongly suspect they don't pack out the whole print runs in equal portions. While there's usually enough supply to not make people notice, sometimes it is. There might be 1990 Kile golds in a box somewhere, along with 1990 2009 Topps Heritage Chrome Jerry Hairstons and the Topps Chromes of that one guy who signed all color refractor autos but bases were never found, and the 2018 A&G Woods.
    Sure. It's happened before. I was just wondering if there was an actual reason like the T206 Wagners. Didn't somebody find tons of the 1990 Upper Deck Black Box Mike Witts recently?

One would think so, but in ten years of actively looking for it, that was only the second one I’ve ever seen.
    That's wild. I'll keep an eye out.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2018 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

deliciousbacon666
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I guess this is a bad time I mention I had one of those Gold Kiles on Sportlots a few years ago that sold for $1?
    I'm DelBacon on Sportlots, tons of great cards!

1K+ Club - Top Player Collections: 1. Glaus: 2132 - 2. Rolen: 1714 - 3. Thome: 1689- 4. Helton: 1602 - 5. Garciaparra: 1538 - 6. D. Ortiz: 1415 - 7. L. Walker: 1357 - 8. R. Palmeiro: 1328 - 9. A. Beltre: 1176 - 10. Edmonds: 1123 - 11. Biggio: 1110 - 12. Konerko: 1042

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeliciousBacon View Post
    So I guess this is a bad time I mention I had one of those Gold Kiles on Sportlots a few years ago that sold for $1?
    Díoh!

autocut
     autobilia
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to pick up unreleased cards like that all the time. They didn't list in price guides, so people assumed they were commons.
    Quote Originally Posted by IUjapander
    Teaching your kids the value of cards is an important lesson.
    -------------------------------------------
    Looking for any Fred Williamson cards #'d /10 or less.

-------------

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast