Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cards you have no idea are worth money

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Some cards are just hard to find, even if they are numbered to a significant amount. I know they don't pack out everything they make, and 4-6% of print runs held back for replacements seems to be a consensus, even for 1/1s and such. And I strongly suspect they don't pack out the whole print runs in equal portions. While there's usually enough supply to not make people notice, sometimes it is. There might be 1990 Kile golds in a box somewhere, along with 1990 2009 Topps Heritage Chrome Jerry Hairstons and the Topps Chromes of that one guy who signed all color refractor autos but bases were never found, and the 2018 A&G Woods.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
This may have occurred in the past but I wonder if a collector could actually control the market for a particular card. Pick a parallel/variation card of a common player from an upcoming set that has 250, 500 or 1000 supposed print run and purchase everyone you see listed in auctions or at shows and hope that set collectors will eventually think that a card is very rare or practically non-existent. After some time, list them individually to create a buzz to drive prices up.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
This may have occurred in the past but I wonder if a collector could actually control the market for a particular card. Pick a parallel/variation card of a common player from an upcoming set that has 250, 500 or 1000 supposed print run and purchase everyone you see listed in auctions or at shows and hope that set collectors will eventually think that a card is very rare or practically non-existent. After some time, list them individually to create a buzz to drive prices up.

quite simply - yes

and if you have any doubts just check out 1996 pinnacle laser view inscriptions erik kramer autographs serially numbered out of 3150....

Last edited:

Spmjm

Feb 10, 2018
You’re the one that got it for $3 @&”$ing dollars on eBay? I hate you so much. Out of jealousy, not actual hate.

It popped up in my search e-mail but was already gone.

It’s only the second copy I’ve ever seen.

EDIT: I now see it was a cross listed card on COMC. So you could have grabbed it in either place.

Ha. Yeah bought it on eBay, had it as a saved search because I stumbled on this thread when I was looking for a 2001 Topps Ed Rogers bat, and thought it was interesting a gold parallel would be that hard to find. As someone else mentioned, wondering if they stopped production when he died (?). But that would be a bizarre move. Maybe someone’s hoarding SP 2002 Kile cards.

At any rate, I’ll be reposting on eBay—only real reason I bought it was on a whim that it was rare and wanted to add more items to my COMC shipment. I’ll list it for a whopping $10 starting bid. Go nuts.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Some cards are just hard to find, even if they are numbered to a significant amount. I know they don't pack out everything they make, and 4-6% of print runs held back for replacements seems to be a consensus, even for 1/1s and such. And I strongly suspect they don't pack out the whole print runs in equal portions. While there's usually enough supply to not make people notice, sometimes it is. There might be 1990 Kile golds in a box somewhere, along with 1990 2009 Topps Heritage Chrome Jerry Hairstons and the Topps Chromes of that one guy who signed all color refractor autos but bases were never found, and the 2018 A&G Woods.

Sure. It's happened before. I was just wondering if there was an actual reason like the T206 Wagners. Didn't somebody find tons of the 1990 Upper Deck Black Box Mike Witts recently?

One would think so, but in ten years of actively looking for it, that was only the second one I’ve ever seen.

That's wild. I'll keep an eye out.

krazy4kardboard

Nov 16, 2018
Stockton Georgia
Let's keep this thread going folks. Im digging thru my collection daily to add more cards to my website and Im always looking for ideas of what people in the hobby are looking for. www.krazy4kardboard.com is the link if you want to take a look and throw me some feedback. Always looking to improve the site. A new layout is in the works here in the next month or so when I have the spare $150 for the new layout I want. Anyone that has a want list they want to forward to me just hit my profile up and shoot me a message here or on the site, either way will work. Im in my card stash 8 to 10 hours a day most days and I always have my want lists sheet laying around to refresh my memory of what to set aside. Hope everyone has a good turkey day this coming week.

Spmjm

Feb 10, 2018
Ha. Yeah bought it on eBay, had it as a saved search because I stumbled on this thread when I was looking for a 2001 Topps Ed Rogers bat, and thought it was interesting a gold parallel would be that hard to find. As someone else mentioned, wondering if they stopped production when he died (?). But that would be a bizarre move. Maybe someone’s hoarding SP 2002 Kile cards.

At any rate, I’ll be reposting on eBay—only real reason I bought it was on a whim that it was rare and wanted to add more items to my COMC shipment. I’ll list it for a whopping $10 starting bid. Go nuts.

Posted that Kile card, if anyone needs it.... It’s also an error I guess. Missing the Topps logo foil. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/292831791734

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
A cautionary tale about responding to threads like this one.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it would be cool to point out a relatively unknown rarity of a player that basically nobody else collects. So on October 21, I tell everyone here about the Darryl Kile 2002 Topps Gold card. Just under a month later, one of them pops up. Had I not mentioned it, I would have been the first to see it and I would have added it for $3. Instead, I mentioned it here and Spmjm, a member that has six freaking posts here, purchases it. He relists it for $10.

Mind you, I basically am the Darryl Kile market and most 2002 Topps Gold set collectors abandoned it long ago. So while the card is RARE, that does not necessarily make it VALUABLE.

I pass on the card for $10, because this guy basically used my knowledge to try and make money off of me and it didn't sit right. I would love to add the card to my collection, yes, but I it sat wrong with me that he bought the card to try and sell it directly to me. Should be the end of the story, right? Of course not. Two days ago I get a message that if I want it, I'll have to pay what it is worth, with a link to this eBay auction.

Now they want me to pay $150 if I want to add this card to my collection.

Do not misunderstand. I am an adult and I just closed the tab and said, "Good luck." But it is a sobering reminder that sharing information with the community can be used against you. I am not angry at this dude for trying to make money. He is going to sit on that card for a very long time at that price point. Just a warning that before you point out that something is rare, there are people like this out there.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it would be cool to point out a relatively unknown rarity of a player that basically nobody else collects. So on October 21, I tell everyone here about the Darryl Kile 2002 Topps Gold card. Just under a month later, one of them pops up. Had I not mentioned it, I would have been the first to see it and I would have added it for $3. Instead, I mentioned it here and Spmjm, a member that has six freaking posts here, purchases it. He relists it for $10.

Mind you, I basically am the Darryl Kile market and most 2002 Topps Gold set collectors abandoned it long ago. So while the card is RARE, that does not necessarily make it VALUABLE.

I pass on the card for $10, because this guy basically used my knowledge to try and make money off of me and it didn't sit right. I would love to add the card to my collection, yes, but I it sat wrong with me that he bought the card to try and sell it directly to me. Should be the end of the story, right? Of course not. Two days ago I get a message that if I want it, I'll have to pay what it is worth, with a link to this eBay auction.

Do not misunderstand. I am an adult and I just closed the tab and said, "Good luck." But it is a sobering reminder that sharing information with the community can be used against you. I am not angry at this dude for trying to make money. He is going to sit on that card for a very long time at that price point. Just a warning that before you point out that something is rare, there are people like this out there.

That's pretty low. I've had it happen to me, so I know what it's like.

Scott F

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
We should start a "Get Therion his card" GoFundMe. I'd throw in a dollar! After all, it should be HIS card (Therion's).

Dec 4, 2008
Lol. The collective searching power of FCB will dig another one of these up for you, rest assured! I traffic in bulk topps gold foil anniversary lots sometimes and have this placed on my free bounty list for you in case I ever come across one. ;)

I did use this thread to make money before but I had the decency to send a thank you dividend/tip to the information provider and the buyers were not FCB people as Topps Heritage has a more robust sales market than the one collector Darryl Kile market. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Well Therion, you may be an adult, and gahblessyooforit. But I on the other hand, especially after a couple barley pops, don't give a damn. So I'll say it - to hell with that ebay seller. Sneaky arbitrage like that is one of the lower forms of activity on the internet, and I just don't have any patience for it. Scum I say, scum!

Also, there's 2003 other copies floating around out there. So I'm sure your patience will pay off.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Definitely a very thin line between advertising your wants and getting help and doing the same and being held hostage. I have had a decent number of people help me out with something because it was mentioned or requested, but equally have had hostage holders reach out, trying to exploit my want lists. I guess in the end, it's nice to have extra eyes looking out for you, but prepare to have the wrong eyes looking as well.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Well put. Both have happened to me too. I try to give credit when the good guys reach out, but in cases like this....scum!

Definitely a very thin line between advertising your wants and getting help and doing the same and being held hostage. I have had a decent number of people help me out with something because it was mentioned or requested, but equally have had hostage holders reach out, trying to exploit my want lists. I guess in the end, it's nice to have extra eyes looking out for you, but prepare to have the wrong eyes looking as well.

Members online