Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

90's Break - we're full!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
Okay, so to make the HOF, just hold it like this...

attachment.php

Also, you've been traded.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
UPDATED LIST
===========

1. 1. soxcolts-- chose FRANK THOMAS
2. 22 Aumike1976-- chose KEN GRIFFEY JR
3. 7. Tidel144 -- chose DEREK JETER
4. 18. Gwynn545--chose TONY GWYNN
5. 25. JuanLastTime- chose JUAN GONZALEZ
6 .4. Banjar--chose ROBERTO ALOMAR
7. 14. Joey_Peapod--chose CAL RIPKEN JR
8. 28. cubfan131-- chose SAMMY SOSA
9. 21. Letch77--chose ALEX RODRIGUEZ
10. 11. Caster513--chose CHIPPER JONES
11. 3. Therion--chose MIKE PIAZZA
12. 29. CardboardRectangles--chose BARRY LARKIN
13. 26. maetracewslover—chose JEFF BAGWELL
14. 13. Linuxabuser—chose BARRY BONDS
15. 10. Bane50--chose MARK MCGWIRE
16. 33. verdammt--chose GREG MADDUX
17. 32. BenG76--chose IVAN RODRIGUEZ
18. 20. Sonic311--chose VLADIMIR GUERRERO
19. 30. mattglett--chose JOSE CANSECO
20. 8. Mansgame--chose ALBERT BELLE
21. 2. jeffv96masters--chose NOMAR GARCIAPARRA
22. 5. Michaelstepper--chose EDGAR MARTINEZ
23. 27. cubfan131--chose ROGER CLEMENS
24. 15. athletics07--chose HIDEO NOMO
25. 24. Joey_Peapod--chose CHAN HO PARK
26. 2.jeffv96masters--chose PEDRO MARTINEZ
27. 2. jeffv96masters--chose TODD HELTON
28. 9. Letch77--chose RANDY JOHNSON

29. 31. BenG76- at bat
30. 16. Therion--on deck
31. 23. Brandt504--in the hole

32. 12. Linuxabuser
33. 17. BStanwood

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Since we are almost complete with the picks I'll relate the story of the draft about how I started with 1 and wound up with 3 picks

I initially had no interest in the break and watched it waffle for a few days. Decided since they needed just 1 more participant to get the whole thing started I'd buy it just to help the board get started and enjoy themselves. With two offline sales and 3 eBay sales earlier this week = my entire investment was basically FREE since it was money I had from sales so I was playing with house money by participating.

When the random.org mix occurred I lucked out with Choice # 3. I knew instantly someone would want the spot due to the level of inserts in the Top 5 players that may have been possible. Lo and behold Rodney ( tidel144) made me " an offer "you can't refuse". I immediately accepted his offer since I was getting his pick at # 5 and compensation that was overboard as far as I was concerned ( lets just say it is and will always be appreciated and anyone who knows him knows what type of person he is ). Far as I'm concerned if I pull a rare PC item in any of my boxes I crack I'll consider him first before others in his PC interests.

I then moved to spot # 5. Which attracted the attention of our resident Juan Gonzalez collector Kevin ( Juanlasttime). He made me another offer I couldn't refuse- trading me TWO spots to move up to # 5 choice. Again- couldn't refuse that offer. So I moved from #5 to picks # 21 and # 30. So already had turned a free purchase into two free purchases !!

Then since I basically had no money invested in the slots I offered to buy other spots- had a single taker at #27 ( s10dragingass) --hence 3 picks. I had now possession of picks 21, 27 and 30.

I moved up from this 3rd pick = pick #30 = after talking to Billy (Therion). So I then became pick #26 .I'll be sending him a thank you item for that trade ;)

Hence picks 21,26, and 27 from a start of 1 single pick. And lets just say I paid NOTHING to participate. All came from blessings provided by offline sales and board generosity.

This 90's break will be a JOY to take part in since it basically cost me nothing but time to take part in a community event :grouphug:

Jeff

p.s. Not sure if many people had time to follow my thread in the box break section BTW but I was emptying out some storage space of a lot of late 90's early 2000 boxes HERE. So I am fully aware what its like to enjoy a multiple box break occur. I'm going to continue those breaks later in the year. So if anyone cares to discuss a similar type of 2000's break- I'd be interested.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2008

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Jeff - really appreciate the kind words and especially the notion keeping me in mind going forward. Helping each other out in this hobby is important to me and FCB is a community where this manifests constantly through its members and group breaks like these.

Similar to Jeff's post, I wheeled and dealed myself, but ultimately came up short! Randomizer had me at pick #16 and I wanted to trade up to get my PC guy, Griffey. Contacted [MENTION=11290]Verdammt[/MENTION] who generously offered to swap his #5 spot for my #16 in an effort to help me get Griffey - at no additional cost - because he thought the guy he wanted (Maddux) would still be there at #16 (and was). This is what I was referencing a few sentences above - public thanks again, Verdammt.

Then traded my #5 to Jeff for his #3, as detailed above. I knew getting into the top 2 would secure it for me since I know [MENTION=22656]soxcolts[/MENTION] and who he was going to take (Thomas). He even tried to help by saying he would trade swap spots with me if I could guarantee Thomas would be left at #3 (again, helping each other out is a common theme here). Unfortunately I couldn't guarantee that so had to hope Aumike1976 would pass on Griffey as he and I couldn't work out a trade for our slots.

While I didn't get Griffey, Jeter is a great consolation - have a few good buddies that PC him that I could help out. And with the efforts moving up 13 slots trying to get my guy, I felt like a NFL GM on draft day. Again, no hard feelings to [MENTION=6507]Aumike1976[/MENTION]. This has been a fun ride thus far and the boxes haven't even busted yet.

Verdammt

Feb 4, 2014
Wichita, KS
Jeff - really appreciate the kind words and especially the notion keeping me in mind going forward. Helping each other out in this hobby is important to me and FCB is a community where this manifests constantly through its members and group breaks like these.

Similar to Jeff's post, I wheeled and dealed myself, but ultimately came up short! Randomizer had me at pick #16 and I wanted to trade up to get my PC guy, Griffey. Contacted [MENTION=11290]Verdammt[/MENTION] who generously offered to swap his #5 spot for my #16 in an effort to help me get Griffey - at no additional cost - because he thought the guy he wanted (Maddux) would still be there at #16 (and was). This is what I was referencing a few sentences above - public thanks again, Verdammt.

Then traded my #5 to Jeff for his #3, as detailed above. I knew getting into the top 2 would secure it for me since I know [MENTION=22656]soxcolts[/MENTION] and who he was going to take (Thomas). He even tried to help by saying he would trade swap spots with me if I could guarantee Thomas would be left at #3 (again, helping each other out is a common theme here). Unfortunately I couldn't guarantee that so had to hope Aumike1976 would pass on Griffey as he and I couldn't work out a trade for our slots.

While I didn't get Griffey, Jeter is a great consolation - have a few good buddies that PC him that I could help out. And with the efforts moving up 13 slots trying to get my guy, I felt like a NFL GM on draft day. Again, no hard feelings to [MENTION=6507]Aumike1976[/MENTION]. This has been a fun ride thus far and the boxes haven't even busted yet.
Glad I could help even though you didn't get your guy. As an aside, my main PC guy is the number 2 guy who started behind Maddux for those Braves teams of the 90s. I also have an interest in Maddux and want to PC him and figure this would be a good shot at getting him started. So, whoever gets the remaining NL, I'll probably be making contact to work out a deal for my main PC guy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
Well even though he isn't in two of the boxes I have to select my main PC guy Fred McGriff
[MENTION=2759]Therion[/MENTION] looks like your up.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Man, after looking through the players remaining at my second pick while trying to decide on who to take, the AL and NL slots are going to be money! So many collectible players remaining. These spots were a great idea.

Collecting ‘96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball. Let me know whatcha got for sale/trade!
Sent using Freedom Card Board mobile app

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
I am headed to sleep but here is the most updated list

UPDATED LIST
===========

1. 1. soxcolts-- chose FRANK THOMAS
2. 22 Aumike1976-- chose KEN GRIFFEY JR
3. 7. Tidel144 -- chose DEREK JETER
4. 18. Gwynn545--chose TONY GWYNN
5. 25. JuanLastTime- chose JUAN GONZALEZ
6 .4. Banjar--chose ROBERTO ALOMAR
7. 14. Joey_Peapod--chose CAL RIPKEN JR
8. 28. cubfan131-- chose SAMMY SOSA
9. 21. Letch77--chose ALEX RODRIGUEZ
10. 11. Caster513--chose CHIPPER JONES
11. 3. Therion--chose MIKE PIAZZA
12. 29. CardboardRectangles--chose BARRY LARKIN
13. 26. maetracewslover—chose JEFF BAGWELL
14. 13. Linuxabuser—chose BARRY BONDS
15. 10. Bane50--chose MARK MCGWIRE
16. 33. verdammt--chose GREG MADDUX
17. 32. BenG76--chose IVAN RODRIGUEZ
18. 20. Sonic311--chose VLADIMIR GUERRERO
19. 30. mattglett--chose JOSE CANSECO
20. 8. Mansgame--chose ALBERT BELLE
21. 2. jeffv96masters--chose NOMAR GARCIAPARRA
22. 5. Michaelstepper--chose EDGAR MARTINEZ
23. 27. cubfan131--chose ROGER CLEMENS
24. 15. athletics07--chose HIDEO NOMO
25. 24. Joey_Peapod--chose CHAN HO PARK
26. 2.jeffv96masters--chose PEDRO MARTINEZ
27. 2. jeffv96masters--chose TODD HELTON
28. 9. Letch77--chose RANDY JOHNSON
29. 31. BenG76- chose Fred McGriff

30. 16. Therion--on deck
31. 23. Brandt504--in the hole

32. 12. Linuxabuser
33. 17. BStanwood

Brandt504

Apr 7, 2010
Northern California
Either of you in the last 2 slots want to trade with me? I didn’t pay attention and was just notified that the last 2 slots were the non stars, which is what I was gunning for the whole time. Lmk

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Man, after looking through the players remaining at my second pick while trying to decide on who to take, the AL and NL slots are going to be money! So many collectible players remaining. These spots were a great idea.

Collecting ‘96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball. Let me know whatcha got for sale/trade!
Sent using Freedom Card Board mobile app

For the next break (assuming there is one), I think the AL/NL selections should be draftable, just like any player. I don't like that the AL & NL selections automatically go to the last two slots - no slot should be automatically given a selection. Everyone should have a chance at those selections, just like they do with any player.

Yes, it's a gamble if someone takes the AL/NL selection with the 5th pick because one doesn't know who all will be included but that adds strategy and further encourages trading. Not directing this towards anyone or blaming - just sharing a suggestion for the next one.

RustyGreerFan

Jun 10, 2010
Gastonia, NC
For the next break (assuming there is one), I think the AL/NL selections should be draftable, just like any player. I don't like that the AL & NL selections automatically go to the last two slots - no slot should be automatically given a selection. Everyone should have a chance at those selections, just like they do with any player.

Yes, it's a gamble if someone takes the AL/NL selection with the 5th pick because one doesn't know who all will be included but that adds strategy and further encourages trading. Not directing this towards anyone or blaming - just sharing a suggestion for the next one.

I was wondering about this. That's why I announced I was interested in a slot because I could not believe nobody had drafted them yet. I would have taken AL leftovers slot at #1 overall.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle

Everyone did have a chance at those spots- called a randomizer. Those people could have been trading, wheeling and dealing just like the person who (in your scenario) could have if drafted #1, or #5... Luck of the draw I think either way.

Members online

Latest posts