Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How long should I wait for a buyer to pay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
4 days have passed since the auction ended, how much longer should I wait before I cancel this? He has 100% feedback, even some that he pays quickly, so I'm at a loss here.

Looking for some advice.

Brian

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Send an invoice. After 5 days send a non-paying bidder alert.

Also, with the Labor Day Holiday, some families go on vacation before the kids start school..

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
U send a message? If so I’d start a NPB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sent one of those buyer reminder messages generated through eBay, and a second message. No response. I did not specify how long buyers can take to pay, however. After the weekend if he doesn't pay I'm filing a NPB.

Thanks fellas

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
honestly, vacation or not 4 days is unacceptable today. I bought a Fisk auto on my honeymoon in Acadia National Park...9 years ago. Internet is everywhere. I don't sell things on eBay generally but if I took 4 days to send my payment i would expect several messages and a neutral feedback at best.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I only do Buy It Nows and set it to make buyers pay immediately. Screw auctions. Too many flakey bidders. Never have to worry about late or non-payers. You either pay now or the sale is cancelled immediately. This isn’t layaway. I’m not holding a card until a buyer’s payday or they scrounge up the money in a few days.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Mourmelon le Grand, France
I had the EXACT same problem early August... I sent 2 reminders over a 10 day period... opened a case and was paid with-in 2 days... and the guy had 100% feedback and often paid immediately... perhaps got caught up with tons of sales and stuff... well, at least I got paid and everything worked out in the long run but I agree to say that 5 days is a good limit for me.
Good luck with your case... I'm sure it'll work out.

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
you probably should set up the unpaid item assistant.....you can adjust it a bit but by default it sends an unpaid item reminder after 48 hours....i believe the default setting for automatically opening a case is still 7 days but can be reduced to 4 days....

one note - if you allow combined shipping ebay requires you to state what time frame buyers have to combine items (usually 5 or 7 days)....if you set a time frame for combined purchases , that essentially becomes your minimum time to wait for payment even if the buyer does not tell you of his intentions....

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I would wait until after the holiday weekend before starting a npb case. I agree with the others that it’s already been too long but would give the guy the benefit of the doubt since it’s a long holiday weekend.

I actually had a npb last week. Been selling regularly for a couple years now on eBay and it was only my second or third one. I do mostly bin/bo with auto accept thresholds and ask for payment within 24 hours. In my case last week, it made no sense to me. Buyer sent an offer, I accepted and they never paid. They had 100% feedback and most of his feedback was about how quickly they paid! I gave them the benefit of the doubt and sent an invoice after a couple days, then a nice note that cards were packed up and ready to go a couple days later and still nothing. Finally filled npb and closed case as soon as soon as I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
I have had over 10 non paying buyers in the last 3 months. What I hate about eBay is that you can not leave negative feedbacks for the deadbeat buyers. Or if you can I haven’t figured out how. eBay has become the place where it really doesn’t protect the seller at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Could be he's waiting for an ebay promotion; they seem to be running a lot of these lately. However, he should at least let you know if he's waiting a couple of days for a promo code or another of your auctions to end (for combined shipping).
Just thought of something else. Is there an auction ending soon for the exact same item...maybe with a lower current bid? Could be waiting to see if he gets that item for a lower cost, which would be a crappy move, in my opinion.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
He sent this response at 2:30am ET

Yes sir~
Will pd asap when I back home in this two days
Really sorry forget pd it first when I out
Thank and please don’t cancel my order
Thank u

Hmm....

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Why aren't you guys using automatic payment required in eBay's settings. Problem solved. I haven't had a non-payer in the past 5+ years and about a thousand transactions.

Only works if you do straight BINs
Doesn't work with BOs or auctions