Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

We have our first 40 HR hitter of the season! Meanwhile crickets are chirping.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
For a guy that now has 3 consecutive 40 HR seasons, the baseball card market sure doesn't seem to notice. Or baseball in general.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I wonder what big market team he ends up going to. Oakland refuses to keep big money players and refuses to keep DH types.

Could he be coming to Juiceville? :eek:

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I wonder what big market team he ends up going to. Oakland refuses to keep big money players and refuses to keep DH types.

Could he be coming to Juiceville? :eek:

They keep saying they’re gonna sign some of these guys longer term. KD would be a good place to start. Of course for him it might can only be 3 or 4 seasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
The lack of media & hobby interest probably has to do with the fact he's never hit over .250 in a full season, nor put up an OPS over .900 which is what you'd expect from one of the elite guys who is hitting 40 jacks a year.

Getting back to the media again, these days they are showing much more interest in advanced metrics like sabermetrics so when you've got a guy who has a career .320 OBP who strikes out 160-190 times a season & has such terrible defense that he was moved to the DH role, they are going to show less interest than they do in guys like Goldschmidt, Harper, Trout, etc. who put up 30-40 homers a season but are also capable of getting on base at a .400+ clip & putting up a .900-1.000+ OPS year after year. Also, to them RBI's don't even really matter. To them, he's a perennial 2.5 WAR player which isn't bad at all but not greatness...or an All-Star

Then there is the fact he plays for the Oakland A's.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
He's also a quiet guy that stays under the radar.

One of the greatest, most memorable moments of this season was a couple weeks ago when he asked a make-a-wish kid to autograph his jersey for the game - then khrushed a homer while wearing the auto'd jersey. Classy!

n_ruhle_gnr_180821_1920x1080.760;428;7;70;5.jpg

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Even with all the great HR hitters they've had over the years juice or not, he's the first to do it for three straight years since Nellie Foxx in the 30s...

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
He’s a great kid but I think there is a lot to the fact that he’s largely “just a HR hitter”. I think fans in Milwaukee are happy for his success and some will point to him as a guy that got away but there isn’t outrage and a lot of others were happy to let him go. We let Chris Carter walk after hitting 40 and no one wanted him. Adam Dunn, Chris Davis.....they can be exciting when they hit some major moon shots but hitting 10 extra home runs a year isn’t enough anymore.
It’s kind of contradictory to recent trends. They talk launch angle, hit dingers, strikeouts don’t matter, etc. and yet if you don’t get on base, you can’t play defense, you’re really not setting yourself up as being anything other than replaceable for a cheaper option?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Last edited:

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
When you hit in the .240s every year of your career, do nothing but hit home runs and have only 180 homers at age 30, there's not much excitement.

Members online