User Tag List

Thread: We have our first 40 HR hitter of the season! Meanwhile crickets are chirping.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have our first 40 HR hitter of the season! Meanwhile crickets are chirping.

For a guy that now has 3 consecutive 40 HR seasons, the baseball card market sure doesn't seem to notice. Or baseball in general.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    40hr, 100rbi for three straight years, first since Ryan Howard who did it ‘06 to ‘09...

Can only be because of where he plays...

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what big market team he ends up going to. Oakland refuses to keep big money players and refuses to keep DH types.

Could he be coming to Juiceville?

olerud363
     @olerud363
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crickets indeed. I had to go to mlb.com to find out who it is, and I was really surprised.

Definitely playing on the West Coast hurts his exposure. Almost as bad as playing in Toronto

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Collecting John Olerud cards and memorabilia.
    My hobby website: www.cardboardcorner.weebly.com

Thanks to JBel4331 for the awesome custom signature and avatar!

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JVHaste View Post
    I wonder what big market team he ends up going to. Oakland refuses to keep big money players and refuses to keep DH types.

Could he be coming to Juiceville?
    They keep saying they’re gonna sign some of these guys longer term. KD would be a good place to start. Of course for him it might can only be 3 or 4 seasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lack of media & hobby interest probably has to do with the fact he's never hit over .250 in a full season, nor put up an OPS over .900 which is what you'd expect from one of the elite guys who is hitting 40 jacks a year.

Getting back to the media again, these days they are showing much more interest in advanced metrics like sabermetrics so when you've got a guy who has a career .320 OBP who strikes out 160-190 times a season & has such terrible defense that he was moved to the DH role, they are going to show less interest than they do in guys like Goldschmidt, Harper, Trout, etc. who put up 30-40 homers a season but are also capable of getting on base at a .400+ clip & putting up a .900-1.000+ OPS year after year. Also, to them RBI's don't even really matter. To them, he's a perennial 2.5 WAR player which isn't bad at all but not greatness...or an All-Star

Then there is the fact he plays for the Oakland A's.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> https://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's also a quiet guy that stays under the radar.

One of the greatest, most memorable moments of this season was a couple weeks ago when he asked a make-a-wish kid to autograph his jersey for the game - then khrushed a homer while wearing the auto'd jersey. Classy!

Mark McGwire Collector
    Current mini set chases:
    1998 Tek Diffractors (need 41 patterns)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Blue (86)
    1998 Tek Pre-Production Gold (5,8,23,50,59,62,65,77)
    1999 Tek Gold /10 (7A pattern: 24), (7B patterns: 4, 28)
    2014 Tek (Black/White Auto Proof /1) and (any remaining unique buybacks)
    1999 Ultimate Victory Parallels (151, 152)
    1998 Donruss Crusade Purple Samples/Prototypes (two different, See examples here)
    » View Collection: 5600+ unique cards
    » View Full Statistics
    » Need List

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even with all the great HR hitters they've had over the years juice or not, he's the first to do it for three straight years since Nellie Foxx in the 30s...
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have our first 40 HR hitter of the season! Meanwhile crickets are chirping.

He’s a great kid but I think there is a lot to the fact that he’s largely “just a HR hitter”. I think fans in Milwaukee are happy for his success and some will point to him as a guy that got away but there isn’t outrage and a lot of others were happy to let him go. We let Chris Carter walk after hitting 40 and no one wanted him. Adam Dunn, Chris Davis.....they can be exciting when they hit some major moon shots but hitting 10 extra home runs a year isn’t enough anymore.
    It’s kind of contradictory to recent trends. They talk launch angle, hit dingers, strikeouts don’t matter, etc. and yet if you don’t get on base, you can’t play defense, you’re really not setting yourself up as being anything other than replaceable for a cheaper option?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
    Last edited by Brewer Andy; 09-03-2018 at 07:42 PM.
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you hit in the .240s every year of your career, do nothing but hit home runs and have only 180 homers at age 30, there's not much excitement.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gt2590 View Post
    Even with all the great HR hitters they've had over the years juice or not, he's the first to do it for three straight years since Nellie Foxx in the 30s...
    Jimmie.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Jimmie.
    D'oh. Dumas!

Thanks!
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!