Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

This stuns me into silence...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I'm continually amazed what things people will pay serious money for, but as things go, this is far from the weirdest. I mean, people pay good money for online versions of Magic and other gaming cards, but they have play value. They pay more for "foil" versions where they have a particular shimmer in the graphics. But this...it's a picture. I can take a picture of the picture, then I have the same card. If someone wants to see it, I can whip it out just like whoever wants to pay for it will. Someone paid $500 for the Jeter "patch auto" 1/1 card, and I can have a picture of that, too. But it could be like Bitcoin, and thus all things of subjective value, where if two people think it's worth something, then it's worth something. And over time, if they keep the Bunt program going (always my biggest question for things like this), and more people adopt it, it could turn out to be a good buy. Seems dubious, though.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I'm not in on the Bunt cards.

Is this digital ONLY or is it like the eTopps/Panini Instant in that they will make it if you pay for (excessive) shipping?

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
It's really not that different from a piece of cardboard. Yeah, you can hold that in your hand, but it still has zero intrinsic value.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Recommended is the South Park episode "Freemium Isn't Free" which is about mobile games/Ecrap and how it works. The funny part to me is it seems that the SP guys are more bothered by this subject than others because they stop being funny for long periods of the episode just to repeatedly explain how terrible it is. :lol:

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
It's really not that different from a piece of cardboard. Yeah, you can hold that in your hand, but it still has zero intrinsic value.
I used to think this way at first, and have even considered spending actual money on digital Topps apps. The most I've spent is the initial 99 cents deal that was offered when I first registered.
Except if they decide to shut the app down, that card you just spent all that money on disappears with it...

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
Now I think more like this. I liken digital cards to purchasing and upgrading online games. In the end you have nothing in-hand, but you've passed some time and had fun along the way.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Funny, I think the exact opposite. The fact that you own something vs having a digital image is puzzling to me. Especially when you can search the app for any card they have made and essentially screen shot the card to your phone. I realize that if you have the app and obtain a specific digital card, you do have something that can be transferred, but it is the exact same image as I can get on my phone.

I guess in the end, we enjoy collecting cards for a variety of reasons. Some for the challenge of the chase. Some for the pride of ownership, especially those pieces that are rare or unique. Some feel the need to complete a run, set or theme (set builders, many of whom fall into the ownership class too). Others just like to look at them as little pieces of art. No matter the reason, we all derive some pleasure out of viewing them and if that is your primary driver, than a digital collection is the perfect answer, but you can even build the greatest collection ever assembled...for FREE, by saving images from the internet!

Members online

Latest posts