Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2018 Topps Archives Fan Favorites - The anticipation....to Blah!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
In the past, I would nab a signed card here and there that caught my attention (they have had some really great card images), then I also started to realize that this was one of several sets that could help me find somewhat obscure player certified autographs for relatively cheap. Not sure why, but I never took the time to check out the new editions each year, browse the checklists and try to get some of the "better" cards sooner than later. I found myself chasing some of the older cards, wishing I had paid attention at the time they were new.

Then 2017 Archives hit and for some reason, they grabbed me...tightly. I started chasing the 4 versions that most cards had, although some didn't have all 4 parallels (Red-25, Blue-75, Peach-150) and even landed a couple Gold (1/1) cards. At first I chased the cards I wanted for a specific reason (Cey, Mota, Bean, etc) and they had some unique non-players I wanted that originally drew me to the set, but then I decided I needed all versions of ALL cards, except the really SP or expensive cards, like Koufax, Kershaw, Aaron, etc. In all, there were 51 subjects I targeted. I really liked the variety and selection and those red cards looked cool, but not as cool as the gold cards. I grabbed a large majority when everyone was breaking boxes and cases and managed to land most of the tougher reds, but a few eluded me and with the new 2018 edition hitting the streets now, I am left needing 3 cards to finish my personal checklist of "obtainable" cards.

Corky Evans - Never went hard for this, as it was sold as a SP. I was not willing to pay more than about $25-30 for one and got close a few times, but in the end I couldn't land one at my price.

Bald Vinny Red/25 - This was another I had a hard time spending any money on. I got his other versions as cheaply as possible and finally decided after seeing a few copies being offered for more, that I could live without this one if I couldn't buy it for under $15!

Jim Edmonds Red/25 - This one was just more expensive than most of the players in the set. There is one that has been sitting on eBay for almost a year at $60, but more than I am willing to pay. I got most of the other reds for under $15, and the ones I paid more for were more interesting subjects for my taste. I expect that I won't ever get this one, but it will have to be at least half of the asking price of the one listed now.

So, as soon as I heard 2018 was live, I searched for a checklist to see which Dodgers were included. The ONLY Dodger included in the regular fan favorites set is Sandy F'ing Koufax, again! I say this, not because I wouldn't love to own one, but because it will almost certainly be a SSSP as they always are and cost way too much. Then I check out the rest of the checklist. For my collecting taste, the list was a big turd. Sometimes a so-so player has a great card though and I check eBay for live cards and find the poses to be "meh" for the most part and it seems as many redemption as live cards! Topps choked hard on this one. The list of non-players, which has included some really neat cards in the past, consists of a couple of stat nerds, an announcer and some managers. Almost as bad as Bald Vinny and that Zack Hample dude last year, but at least last year there were some announcers, umpires and the commissioner to spice things up!

After scrubbing the list, and not knowing if a few of the redemptions may be cool looking, I find myself really wanting about 8 cards, mostly because they have cool images/design and not necessarily the players themselves (Gary Matthews, for example). The two cards I find most appealing are going to be two of the more pricy "commons" if what I have seen so far holds up, price wise. The parallels don't seem to be done as well this year, with the purple's looking goofy on some of the cards, although they should look great on the 71 design. The silvers are Hobby only, so they have not hit yet and I have not seen a gold show up yet. I'm already waiting for 2019 at this point....

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
The Silvers are not all hobby. I've been following Ted Simmons' autos, and there have been four of his Silvers sold since retail release. Missed out on all four, but I did grab a Purple. Not sure if it's because he doesn't have many pack-issued autos, or just the longer auto odds in retail overall, but Simmons is a guy whose autos are going for significantly more than I would have thought.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Simmons is apparently not an easy auto to obtain in general. I don't see a plethora of TTM/IP stuff from him and when you do see it, the prices tend to be higher than similar caliber players. I have signatures from him, but he is the one guy from this set I want especially for the certified auto. However, the 77 design is not a good one for colored borders.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I misspoke. I didn't check first before I wrote my comment and the silver didn't appeal to me that much this year, so I have viewed fewer listings with them. The Blue's are the hobby only, #'d to 25 copies.

The Silvers are not all hobby. I've been following Ted Simmons' autos, and there have been four of his Silvers sold since retail release. Missed out on all four, but I did grab a Purple. Not sure if it's because he doesn't have many pack-issued autos, or just the longer auto odds in retail overall, but Simmons is a guy whose autos are going for significantly more than I would have thought.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It just occurred to me, while checking the archives listings...I hate most of the card designs they are using this year., which is why so many cards are blah to me Some I do like, 71, 77 and 79 happen to be several of the autos I want (Petrocelli, Wilson, Matthews, Simmons, Chambliss). Wish they did more 77 and less 82! I also think it is too early to be reproducing 90s and newer card designs for an "archives" set.

I am curious to see how Fosse, Cora, Millan and especially Winfield look, although I am guessing he'll be a SP.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
The wife bought a box of 2017 Archives and one of her "hits" was a Bald Vinny (regular). She was pretty angry. The scrubbiest player would have been a better hit for her than someone she never heard of and is apparently only famous for being the type of fan you hope you're not sitting within 2 sections of at the park, and a Yankee fan on top of it.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom

Check this out.

IMG_6644.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Not sure what's more sad, the idea of Denny McLain hanging out all weekend looking for people to talk to, or his name being misspelled.