User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Collector's Corner, Volume 17; banjar

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Eric - I guess I reluctantly agree about the hostage holders actually providing pics of the cards. It's their one one saving grace I suppose. Luckily those Tek patterns don't seem to be on their radar, so if one ever pops up for sale i might be able to afford it. It still burns me that I missed the 2014 Tek stripes for less than $10. But at the time I just had no idea how rare that one was...and neither did anyone else!

Quote Originally Posted by RustyGreerFan View Post
    [MENTION=12279]banjar[/MENTION] thanks for the shout out! I didn't realize how much you appreciated it, so I was happy to read this! Those 1994 APs are pretty dumb LOL

Hostage holders annoy me too, but to a small degree it's a relief to see the card is out there and somehow it gives me hope that I'll get one too someday. It's those cards that I NEVER see that scare me - like your Star Promo thing that may or may not exist.

Yeah, I'd be interested to hear MLB's position on this (sole license). Competition is a good thing for collectors.
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Scott - Thanks. I have actually been keeping the Mets auto card as I pick stuff up. I don't have any spare ones but if I get one in a lot it's coming your way...

Xeriscaping was started in Denver by the way. The Denver Botanic Gardens still has the first xeriscaped demonstration garden in the country. It ain't all cactus and rocks by the way (not that there's anything wrong with that). You can do a lot with water-wise plants.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMet View Post
    Awesome, I need to get me an Alomar in a Mets Uni auto card...

Since no one else has asked, what’s xeriscaping?

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Michael. I actually chew tobaccy now and then, so I have absolutely zero interest in home plate dirt from any stadium whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelstepper View Post
    awesome read!
    love the dirt full of chew spit comment

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the nice words. By the way I have had these in the basement for a while and have been meaning to dig them out. PM me if you want them. Left is an 8x10 blank back photo on thick photo stock, right is 1990 TV Sports Mailbags card.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gwynn.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	83114

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn545 View Post
    Love this!! Couldn't stop reading and I really needed to!!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! It was definitely fun to write. I don't have any particular display set up, but would love to. For now all the cards are stored in penny sleeves and top loaders (or one-touch holders for the best ones), then arranged in 3-row mega shoe boxes. Primitive but functional...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
    So glad these are making a return. I’m a Robbie fan, especially for a few years when he was with the Orioles. Very much enjoy reading about collections, but especially the single player type; this was no exception.

Just wondering if any of the collection is displayed? Love the room shots with items on display.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I definitely had a very good read.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Curt - I have a particular fondness for cards from Robbie's San Diego days. I suppose for a while they were kind of my default team. We didn't have the Rockies yet, and even though we got some Royals and Cubs games on local TV in those days, I thought SD was cool. They had Gwynn an the Alomar clan, what I thought were cool-looking uniforms, and shockingly, in 1988-89 they weren't actually a terrible team.

Xeriscaping - not to be confused with Prancercize...

Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    Yep, had to look this one up. Thought it might have been some sort of faddish exercising thing. xeriscaping

I won't say that I collect specifically Alomar, but have always considered him one of a dozen or more players from the 90s that I liked a little more than the rest. It didn't hurt that he came up right at the tail end of my new love for the Padres, after Garvey came over to the taco from the blue. I continued to like the Padres into the mid 90s, as they were stacked with similar players that I just liked a bit more (Gwynn, McGriff, Carter, Sheffield) until I discovered and devoted my primary focus towards Frank Thomas. When the internet caught my attention, I rediscovered my Garvey collection and the Dodgers and have never looked back to the Padres other than a brief fondness and an appreciation for some of their other players (Templeton, Kruk, Colbert, Winfield, Smith, Wiggins, Roberts, etc).

It's too bad Alomar wasn't playing a few years earlier, or that Garvey didn't stick around a few years later. Then there may have been some nice crossover oddball stuff that would fit both of our collections. I will also agree that the glut of retired player issues has gotten out of hand in the past and continues for many. Some view endless new stuff as a positive, while others feel it is a burden. I have been pretty lucky of late. Production and set inclusion has been fairly minimal and nothing like the peak I saw in 2005! I'll wrap up by saying that after visiting Cooperstown for the first time earlier this year, a small part of me is glad Garvey is not in the Hall of Fame. I think the flood of new stuff generated by his induction (mostly the overpriced gimmicky HOF specific stuff) would break me, because I want EVERYTHING within a reasonable budget range.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember seeing that video before. Notice she is filming this in some sort of private, remote looking location, because nobody would ever want to be seen doing this goofy sh!t.

Quote Originally Posted by banjar View Post
    Hi Curt - I have a particular fondness for cards from Robbie's San Diego days. I suppose for a while they were kind of my default team. We didn't have the Rockies yet, and even though we got some Royals and Cubs games on local TV in those days, I thought SD was cool. They had Gwynn an the Alomar clan, what I thought were cool-looking uniforms, and shockingly, in 1988-89 they weren't actually a terrible team.

Xeriscaping - not to be confused with Prancercize...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    I remember seeing that video before. Notice she is filming this in some sort of private, remote looking location, because nobody would ever want to be seen doing this goofy sh!t.
    Would you want to be seen doing something like that in public ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great work banjar!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12