Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

365 DAYS OF RED SOX DAY 41 - KENNER SLU 1988-2001 VARIOUS YEARS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
I'll start the Red Sox themed thread by showing off some "plastic" !!
I'll try for the posts to also be informative and a little interesting. I will maintain the front page with that Day # on that days subject matter to make it easier.

DAY 1 POST

In 1985 and 1986 Topps continued its experimentation with off the wall items with a set called " Topps 3-D "
It consisted of 30 players printed on plastic sheets. Each item was roughly 5x6 inches ( I'm not going to measure them)
The fronts show the players image in a raised 3-D like effect ,while the backs were black backed and have tape on them. They were meant to be put on a wall or surface to be displayed. Many people took the tape off- I kept mine on as the tape was cheesy and easily peeled off the surface it was "supposed" to adhere to.

The wrappers were Red outside for 1986 ( the 1985 version was blue) .

Below are the two nearest me in my apartment- Mr Boggs & Rice-- both of whom I still have items of just not what I used to have.Sold many of them years ago when I downsized.I have other 1986 Red Sox and the 1985 ones in storage.

The packs are shown also- I'm sure somewhere Google has a box pic also they are common.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
Here kids. Stick these on your bedroom walls. Your mom's will love you for it. :D Test issues are cool to collect. I bought some from the Topps Vault over the years.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
DAY 2 - and an aside since I got a few emails from folks. I'll mix in all the players best I can but remember my Clemens stuff is mostly in reach = the rest a lot of items are buried deep in storage units. Will do what I can content wise.

Its hard to show "everything" because "everything' has been split between MA, CT and NV for 10 years now
I'll do what I can with the knick knack stuff. Newspapers, magazines, various pins, pennants, etc, etc, etc will be shown

I'd would prefer also not to spend that much time though on most of these posts and will let our two resident error and variations folks ( jacksoncoupage and Sabrgeek) or others handle questions on some of the types of postings I'll be doing . Rich (sabrgeek) used to post informative material as Beckett's Errors & Variations expert back when the magazines ran,was heavily involved in the almanacs, and our resident FCB error man jacksoncoupage is no slouch either .

If either wants to chime in on the 1993 Topps Black Gold post for today= or anyone else for that matter they are welcome to-- or for any other post I make.

I ALWAYS WELCOME LEARNING = if you have any additional info to add to any post I make - please post it on any item / set I show . I love learning and so do many others as well. I'll refrain from being too wordy hopefully in many of these future posts.

In 1993 Topps produced a series of BLACK GOLD cards. They could be obtained from various sources .
These inserts were also produced on sheets-- many sheets made it out to the public and contain numerous variations. It would take an entire blog type post to list/show ALL those sheet and card variations so I'll let others do so.

From my own knowledge the foiling on many Winner cards came either standard dull or more holo-foil style.
So first- this is the standard 1993 Topps Clemens Black Gold card from that series that many are probably familiar with. Standard holo-foil printing. I can't locate my dull version ( yet)

attachment.php

attachment.php

A while back I came across an interesting eBay auction for an unopened set of 1993 Topps Black Gold Winner C, which of course I had an interest in seeing as how Roger Clemens is on that particular winner card. A BIN set at a ridiculously low $7.99 had me hit it right then since I had no original SEALED set item in my collection.

Below is the unopened pack I purchased of the Winner C set and shows the correct players on it with the Holo-foil tint

attachment.php

attachment.php

I forgot to add the two variations sorry folks. I haven't confirmed these yet but appears the WINNER A & WINNER C cards got exchanged. I just haven't had time to verify my info. I showed a correct Winner C - below is the variation showing the ERROR WINNER C and the correct WINNER A

This is the incorrect WINNER C

attachment.php

And that item is actually the players who belong on the WINNER A card

attachment.php

Last edited:

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I've seen those missing foil, but I wasn't aware that there were 2 variations of the foil itself. Thanks a lot...now I've got another Big Hurt to chase. lol

It'd probably only be for me because I geek out on the set, but I'd love to someday see a thread like this in which you chronicle your '96 SC mirror collection with pics and stories (that you remember) about how you obtained them. This is a fun thread; thank you for sharing!

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
In the early 1970's Kellogg's cereal continued inserting items into their cereal boxes to get kids to have their parents buy them the cereal- while the kids really wanted the inserts. I really loved food issues= and loved eating cereal even more. Whether it was a prize or a card- didn't matter- I loved the food. So I bought a ton of cereal. And food.

In 1973 Kellogg's produced their one and only two dimensional set-- as opposed to their normal 3-D "panographic". Xograph was the original producer first several years 3-D sets= but lost their contract to Visual Panographics. Visual Panographics was apparently unprepared and out came a 2-D set which didn't go over too well I remember.

You could order the entire 1973 set from dealers and it came in an unmarked,plain ,off white box sealed with just an address label. Open it up and it had eighteen 3 card panels. You could separate the cards out from the panel setup - or keep them as is. I remember lots of people ordered thru Fritsch, Card Collectors Company or other dealers when the direct sets came out

Below is my 1973 Carlton Fisk Kellogg's panel I sent to PSA. While it didn't gem out I don't care- I'm the ORIGINAL owner of this Fisk. I happen to enjoy knowing it was my own material that I kept in good shape. Makes me happy.

Forgive the dust the slab has been in my Vegas storage unit for a while.

(For full sized pics of anything just go into the album by the way)

attachment.php

attachment.php

And for old times sake for those that weren't around back then ( sorry folks some of us are old)

OH= and an uncut sheet is below for those 1973 Kelloggs

attachment.php

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I didn't realize that they came in panels.

I probably pulled a few 1978 singles for my first taste of Kellogg's 3-D cards (was 9 at the time), but my first full set was from 1979, when I ordered direct from Kellogg's. Did the same in 1980 and then for some reason never ordered any more sets? Too bad they died off after 1983 and although baseball was always king, it would have been cool to see some basketball, football and Hockey sets in the same late 70s/early 80s era.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Todays post is about STAMPS. Yes- those disappearing items we used to deal with in everyday life that have been around forever

Back in the early 1980's where I lived in Massachusetts our 3 largest regional newspapers were the Worcester Telegram, The Boston Globe, and the Boston Herald. The Herald was basically the antithesis of the Globe. While the Globe was conservative and stodgy the Herald was more risk taking and not afraid to hire journalists who spoke from the hip. I enjoyed reading all of them.

If you were to venture over to Beckett's website you'd see the 1982 Red Sox Herald Stamp Set set featuring current and All Time great Red Sox. The pics shown on the website are from my personal collection uploaded during one of the many contests they used to hold. The pics that are not shown were ones I couldn't locate in time to upload before the image contest was over ( plus some I couldn't locate).

During the fall of 1982 thru fall 1983 weekly inserts were made in the Boston Herald. I was busy in the Marines at the time so too much cobwebs here so someone correct me if they remember different. I remember this ad below appeared every week for a while . I was getting newspapers mailed to me so I'd have mail days. Mail days in the armed services folks were very meaningful to those of us who served. Mail meant home- and home meant everything when your overseas .

Here's a few of the stamps from the bag I have here in Vegas

They contain my favorite players and many of the older Hall of Famers or Red Sox Greats over the years. I actively collect Tiant, Fisk, Lynn etc still = but not so much Rico, Eck, or Boomer anymore.

attachment.php

attachment.php

And here is my bag full of them

attachment.php

Below is a pic of an advertising sheet from one of the weeks- since it's Yaz probably midway thru the promotion
To be honest I have issues with what Beckett calls them as this promotion was over a 6 month period covering the end of 1982 and start of 1983.

attachment.php

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
My grand father worked for the Worcester Telegram running the printing presses and doing the type setting in the early 50's thru the 60's.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
My grand father worked for the Worcester Telegram running the printing presses and doing the type setting in the early 50's thru the 60's.

I lived in Hudson roughly 10-12 minutes away right up route 290 ( took longer when I was younger as 290 didn't exist then)

DAY 5 - 1986 TOPPS SUPER 5X7

As many know Topps has a history of oversize products going as far back as initial production, with salesman's samples, Jumbo cards, and various other marketing attempts. We all know and are aware of the 1969 and 1970 Topps Jumbos, along with the 1980 Topps Super and Team Supers.

One set you''ll find exceedingly difficult to locate info on is the 1986 Super 5x7 set. Let alone locate boxes. You'll see 1984 and 1985 quite a bit. the 1986- not so much.

Topps salesman had so many products and interest was waning out on the jumbos by 1986 . I remember going to shows in MA and wanting to buy an entire box - only to discover no one had them. So I hopped in my vehicle and attended a show in Yonkers NY put on by Gloria Rothstein ( who did Gem and Jewelry shows as well) and lo and behold there was my unopened box. While its safely packed away in my MA storage I do have a bunch 1986 Topps Supers in my Vegas storage. These cards are generally no different than their 1986 counterparts EXCEPT the numbering. As a 60 card set they were designed to show off a player who led his team in some statistical category. There was also a special subset designed for Pete Rose as well.

Below is my Dwight Evans and Pudge Fisk along with the reverse of a Sample card ( not revealing the player as I'd prefer keeping private treaty until I sell since it has offers already)

The cards have a bad, bad habit of folding up if not put in holders. I haven't purchased 5x7 holders in a while hence why these two appear weird- corners fold up !!

And while Fisk is shown in his White Sox uni far as I'm concerned he'll always be a Red Sox Hall of Famer.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

SALESMAN SAMPLE REVERSE

attachment.php

**** Of note= "hopping in my car and attended a show by Gloria Rothstein" meant a 3 hour trek from MA to NY City. No mean feat to endure. Lets just say I rarely had people as interested in baseball cards as I was back then come with me on those trips ****

Last edited:

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
The salesman samples are cool. I remember going to that show in White Plains NY in the early 90's. Then they changed it the East Coast National.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
DAY 6 1997 CLEMENS A and P - PLUS NEWSPAPER

Today's post is about the Roger Clemens 1997 Toronto fiasco signing and one of teh first Blue Jays promotions

All thru the 1996 winter baseball off season there were rumblings that Roger Clemens was decidedly unhappy with upper Sox management. I sort of had an insider look to how he REALLY felt. I worked a driving range in Sudbury MA that Debbie and he took the kids to regularly. It had a putt putt, an ice cream shop, and pool hall , all inside a driving range environment as well. Same guy owned the entire set up. I worked the range and was able to see many Sox players regularly- Rich Gedman was a regular, Eckersley, Clemens and others showed often. While he never discussed any Sox related things ( he doted on his kids while there) his wife did talk about how miserable the current management made him. She was very involved in understanding what motivated him--and taking care of FAMILY was numero uno on his list.

Red Sox Nation on the other hand just thought it was a typical Red Sox player maneuver. Express unhappiness, threaten to leave- get new contract. They all thought the prior two years worth of sub par performance were injury related and he'd recover and be back to normal. Then rumblings began he wanted out.

Imagine everyone's surprise then when this headline made the Boston Globe

attachment.php

Folks - you'll need to go into the actual sized pic to see the dual statements that came out in the paper. Shockingly I had never witness the Globe be so negative. But its writers felt no different than the general public did.

Hence- his new monikers-- RODGER DODGER and THE TEXAS CON MAN came out in the papers.

Globe columnist Will McDonough said it best in the start of this column below

attachment.php

So whats he do after this treason ? Come into Fenway as a Blue Jay and in his first game back fan 16-- a mark he bettered only in his two 20 strikeout games. Imagine if your a Sox fan who witnessed two years of brutal Roger Clemens "performance" and then he goes and does this against your team

attachment.php

attachment.php

I for one was EXTREMELY happy. I was picking up his 1984 Fleer Update rookies in 1996 & 1997 for a swan song. No one wanted them. People got rid of his stuff in droves. I even purchased a 500 count box of his 1985 Fleer & Donruss. I made more money sitting on them until 1999/2000 when he joined the Yankees than I've made in the 18 years selling since.

I began however collecting his Blue Jays material as well. His Blue Jays materials are semi tough finds as they are often mislabeled. I learned very quickly distribution barely made it into the US- eBay helped a little back then but many people still didn't know eBay existed in the late 90's despite what your parents/friends may have told you.

For example- the real title of this item is Roger Clemens 1997 A&P/The Fan 590 promotion

attachment.php

Beckett labels it as " Clemens 1997 A and P " ( the pics are mine of course on the site)
Sellers label it as "Special Olympics" or "Rocket Booster" or 'Old Dominion" or any combo
So one has to be very, very aware when searching for the item online
The item was available at A&P stores for a limited time.

I AM STILL LOOKING FOR THE ORIGINAL MARKETING MATERIALS FOR THE 1997 A and P PROMOTION

If you own them- see me I'll pay money for them for historical reasons of my own.
I like having the background info to sets I collect .

Pics below of the raw cards

attachment.php

attachment.php

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I always thought Clemens looked odd as a Blue Jay.
Nice description of the events that went down with Clemens leaving from your relative first-hand view.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Remember this place?

I loved that place, and my aunt's father was Clemens' accountant for that particular venture. He got me a really nice signed ball, which I went out and sold the day Clemens left the Sox.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Remember this place?

I loved that place, and my aunt's father was Clemens' accountant for that particular venture. He got me a really nice signed ball, which I went out and sold the day Clemens left the Sox.

I made it a point to avoid Rhode Island -well except for Newport CC. That chicken place would have been visited had I seen a commercial in MA for it as I'm a foodie.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
Today's write up is short and sweet as I don't have a lot of time. In 1975 Topps put out its regular series along with a smaller version called "Topps Mini". Slightly smaller than the regular Topps this was just a test runt to see how well it was taken to. Luckily I happened upon an entire set of these items at Rotman's in Worcester MA in early 1978. They also had packs which I purchased from Jeff there. I took the mini set out of its plastic prisons ( which were bleeding on to the cards) and into Ultra Pro protectors immediately. Luckily I knew enough about plastics to know PVC was dangerous.

Being a fan of Dewey I immediately was drawn to the vivid colors of the cards in 1975. The famed photographer Charles Conlon also apparently enjoyed those vivid colors as he went around purchasing as many cases as he could locate. If you haven't heard the story of his hoarding you should read up on it. I also suggest you read up on collector T Allen Bergquist, who has a monster 1975 Topps Mini PSA set registry of the highest level of Protection ( PSA 10's up the *****)

Below is my Dwight Evans slab I had slabbed about a dozen years ago and a picture of one of the packs . I also have Rico and Yaz and others in storage. Sorry for such a short write up as I don't have any of my ad materials here in Vegas and have too little time to dig up any online

attachment.php

attachment.php

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts