Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 365 DAYS OF RED SOX DAY 36 - KELLOGGS AND THE 3-D CRAZE

deliciousbacon666
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember this place?

I loved that place, and my aunt's father was Clemens' accountant for that particular venture. He got me a really nice signed ball, which I went out and sold the day Clemens left the Sox.
    I'm DelBacon on Sportlots, tons of great cards!

1K+ Club - Top Player Collections (as of 10/21/18): 1. Glaus: 2096 - 2. Rolen: 1686 - 3. Thome: 1638 - 4. Helton: 1521 - 5. Garciaparra: 1461 - 6. L. Walker: 1317 - 7. D. Ortiz: 1311 - 8. R. Palmeiro: 1307 - 9. Edmonds: 1090 10. Biggio: 1072 - 11. A. Beltre: 1052

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeliciousBacon View Post
    Remember this place?

I loved that place, and my aunt's father was Clemens' accountant for that particular venture. He got me a really nice signed ball, which I went out and sold the day Clemens left the Sox.

I made it a point to avoid Rhode Island -well except for Newport CC. That chicken place would have been visited had I seen a commercial in MA for it as I'm a foodie.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great information about Clemens. A lot I never knew about.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today's write up is short and sweet as I don't have a lot of time. In 1975 Topps put out its regular series along with a smaller version called "Topps Mini". Slightly smaller than the regular Topps this was just a test runt to see how well it was taken to. Luckily I happened upon an entire set of these items at Rotman's in Worcester MA in early 1978. They also had packs which I purchased from Jeff there. I took the mini set out of its plastic prisons ( which were bleeding on to the cards) and into Ultra Pro protectors immediately. Luckily I knew enough about plastics to know PVC was dangerous.

Being a fan of Dewey I immediately was drawn to the vivid colors of the cards in 1975. The famed photographer Charles Conlon also apparently enjoyed those vivid colors as he went around purchasing as many cases as he could locate. If you haven't heard the story of his hoarding you should read up on it. I also suggest you read up on collector T Allen Bergquist, who has a monster 1975 Topps Mini PSA set registry of the highest level of Protection ( PSA 10's up the wazoo)

Below is my Dwight Evans slab I had slabbed about a dozen years ago and a picture of one of the packs . I also have Rico and Yaz and others in storage. Sorry for such a short write up as I don't have any of my ad materials here in Vegas and have too little time to dig up any online

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffv96masters View Post
    TSlightly smaller than the regular Topps this was just a test runt to see how well it was taken to.
    "Test Runt" - what an apt Freudian slip of a description for 75 Topps Mini!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very much enjoying the thread! Thanks for the interesting read as well.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff. I lived in Worcester until 1988. I didn't know they sold sports cards before that.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your thread is starting to do what I would expect of mine if I had started one, which is why I have never started one. Hard to keep daily posts going and have them be fact filled and interesting. Sometimes there just isn't the time or motivation, especially if it is for fun and not a paying gig. I hope to see you continue on with the project. I went out and bought one of those AP Clemens cards (and another Blue Jays oddball with Clemens too) because of this thread and I don't even collect Clemens or the Blue Jays per se. Had no idea about the card prior, since I stopped buying the Almanacs and not even sure they keep up with all the odd stuff anymore. Love to learn about new stuff...

Partially why I went the blog route myself and was banging them out for a few weeks, now I am lucky to post more than a couple times a quarter aside from the Dodger related deaths I try to remain current with.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    I think your thread is starting to do what I would expect of mine if I had started one, which is why I have never started one. Hard to keep daily posts going and have them be fact filled and interesting. Sometimes there just isn't the time or motivation, especially if it is for fun and not a paying gig. I hope to see you continue on with the project. I went out and bought one of those AP Clemens cards (and another Blue Jays oddball with Clemens too) because of this thread and I don't even collect Clemens or the Blue Jays per se. Had no idea about the card prior, since I stopped buying the Almanacs and not even sure they keep up with all the odd stuff anymore. Love to learn about new stuff...

Partially why I went the blog route myself and was banging them out for a few weeks, now I am lucky to post more than a couple times a quarter aside from the Dodger related deaths I try to remain current with.

I'm always a positive person and try never arguing or dealing in "semantics". The original post says 365 days of Red Sox posts. One reason I did not say " consecutive" anywhere in the header or first post is precisely for the reasons that you indicated above. Like yourself- life interferes too much

Time is always an issue with me . I'd love to handle "consecutive" days but I just would never be able to accomplish that task. I chose to label the "DAY" I was on to remind myself how many days of posts I've made.

I'll be prepping the next 3-4 days of posts in the next few hours.

While I'll "try" to do daily posts- no promises. Its merely 365 days of Red Sox related posts. Look for another new post soon as I finish the write up and scanning I'm doing right now.

Would have posted earlier but was busy watching a 90's break I'm participating in

Jeff

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok for todays post going with an old favorite of mine the 1978 PAPA GINO'S disc .Papa Gino's is a company that started where I worked in East Boston and slowly moved out into other areas of MA and New England before expanding in the 90's elsewhere. Back in the 1970's and early 80's Papa Gino's would hold annual promotions with various items that were designed to get customers in the doors and tried to appeal to kids more than adults. Various promotional items were offered that were reusable- a big deal in those days was anything you could keep and re-use. Multi-taskers meant less money spent on stuff you didn't need to buy

Cups were the most common promotional item but my favorite is the 1978 disc set .This disc set consisted of 40 players--the first 25 being our local Red Sox , the last 15 various other players. If you read online they'll say it required the purchase of a large drink. While some Papa's may have had this it sure wasn't at my local Papa Gino's in Hudson MA . Not only did you have to buy a drink you had to pair it with a food purchase. Then they handed you the disc. Most people would come in and get pizza with the large soda. I hated their pizza as it was the thick, fluffy type of crust which I dislike -- so I would buy the lasagna and add bread sticks along with the large drink. Good eats for me !!

Rice was my favorite player back then so of course I have dozens of loose Rice discs floating around. The Dwight Evans PSA slab is also mine bought recently as my versions all have been dented due to numerous moves. Saw one cheap on eBay and bought it for my Evans collection. Wish I were home as I'm pretty sure I have the 70'S ads to the promo somewhere in my MA storage.

Like a lot of the 1970's and 1980's food promotions the Players Association always gave approval to promote stuff. So all the items have the Player Association approval seal but are missing the MLB Team logos' etc. So when people start in on this "doesn't have the MLB logo's so I'm not interested " rant about some card producer not showing logo's on sports cards - its been going on in food items for over 100 years . That's fine people don't like non-logos = because those of us who do not mind that fact buy them up !!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm from Massachusetts. I've never had Papa Geno's food. Does that make me a bad person ?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by finestkind View Post
    My grand father worked for the Worcester Telegram running the printing presses and doing the type setting in the early 50's thru the 60's.
    I grew up in Worcester and had a great uncle who was a sports reporter for them - he covered the Sox. I still have a few Ted Williams items he passed down to the family. Now that I think about it, I wonder what his direct lineage kids have...If I have some balls and stuff and he was only related to me b/c he was married to my grandmother's sister, I hope they have some great stuff!

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." Abraham Lincoln

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by finestkind View Post
    Great stuff. I lived in Worcester until 1988. I didn't know they sold sports cards before that.
    That is when I left as well. I left for college in Washington DC and never really went back (other than for holidays and such). Still have lots of family there.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." Abraham Lincoln

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love this thread @jeffv96masters. Looking forward to seeing more of the cards from my childhood. I still have a few of the off ball stuff (coca cola, hostess, etc.) but nothing like this. Keep 'em coming.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
    I grew up in Worcester and had a great uncle who was a sports reporter for them - he covered the Sox. I still have a few Ted Williams items he passed down to the family. Now that I think about it, I wonder what his direct lineage kids have...If I have some balls and stuff and he was only related to me b/c he was married to my grandmother's sister, I hope they have some great stuff!
    I don't think he was much of a sports fan. I never saw him watching any Red Sox games on TV. I remember seeing the printing plates for the huge printing presses. Some were made out of huge lead plates and pictures were printed on steel plates like our over sized sports cards.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast