User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: 365 DAYS OF RED SOX DAY 39- 1987 FLEER SLUGGERS and PITCHERS BOXED SET

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I was glad at the time that the Dodgers didn't get a TV set, as they were quite expensive for a really long time. It was not until just recently, this year in fact, that I added any to my collection. I was trying to get a couple players as cheaply as possible and stumbled upon some cheap sets. I think I ended up with all but one team (can't recall which now) for less than the original price of one back in the day. They are still nice cards to have and now that I was able to add nearly all of them at bargain prices, I wish there had been a Dodger set!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DAY 29 - 1977 BURGER CHEF FUNMEAL and loose discs

Today's post is about the 1977 BURGER CHEF RED SOX FUN MEAL DISC SET and meal packages.

Back in the late 60's and early 1970's Burger Chef - not Burger King - was the chief competition that McDonald's was worried about With nearly 75% of the restaurants that McDonald's had , Burger Chef was a huge burger chain slowly expanding across the continental US. They specialized buying and opening restaurants in small towns who needed a burger joint. While they were in 39 states its surprising how few people remember them back east . You'd have had to travel to many states to come across one and I believe the closest one to where I lived back east was in Pennsylvania.

They were quite unique in how they named their products. Their double burger was called a "Big Shef" and the quarter pounder a Super Shef. A little after 1972 they started opening the "Works Bar" where guests could put their own topping on their burgers ( who doesn't love that idea !)

Many people remember the restaurants two mascots = Burger Chef and his young sidekick Jeff = who always came into contact with these crazy characters who had names like Wolfburger, Count Fangburger and Mrs Fangburger, Burgerilla (a talking ape), Where Wolf, and Cackleburger the Witch. They were pasted on many of the promotional materials and usually were on the back of glasses, cups, and the trays covers. They always told a story that kids could follow

Anyways in 1977 two huge promotions came to my attention and they were the Funmeal Baseball set and the Star Wars promotions. Now folks this will sound weird but I never liked Star Wars ( still don't) so I avoided that promo but ate up the baseball funmeal promo's like crazy. I sometimes went twice a day every other day for a few weeks on end to get as many as I could. Finally after several months I became sick of their burgers and stopped going but not until I'd acquired several hundred of each type. Now over the years I've sold many unopened ones and popped off discs from various team sets until I might have two or three of each type left in storage

Below is the full FunMeal unopened RED SOX packages and the single discs popped out of some of the players.While I keep saying I divested myself of Yaz seems I have lots more of his stuff apparently to get rid of !! As you can see on the reverse of the discs the various characters of their Fun Meal stories appear.
    What load of laughs they were back in the day.

Sadly they were sold by General Mills to a Canadian conglomerate who owned the Hardees restaurant chain most of these restaurants either got renamed or closed. I'd be surprised if any still exist at all.

Go into the album to see the Funmeal full sized of course. I have more spare loose ones didn't feel like scanning still a little weak from being sick the last month

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet another food chain that I never got to experience in person. The trays seem to be dime a dozen after all these years, but this poster is a tough find. I saw someone selling paper "proofs", so this issue may have fallen victim to the dreaded scissors more than once. I was able to find a slightly tattered copy, but someday would like to upgrade to a nicer copy. Sadly for me, the Garvey disc is partially obscured by the other graphics on the poster. I suspect these were from restaurants and not available otherwise, given how few seem to pop up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1977 Burger Chef - Triple Play Funmeal - Ad Poster.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	84116
    Last edited by mrmopar; 10-20-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learning so much about some of the odd ball sets thanks to this thread Jeff. I have a few of those Burger Chef discs, probably from you! Thanks for doing this. Great knowledge you are sharing!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DAY 30 - 1987 OPS SHEETS AND BOX BOTTOMS

Today's post is about the 1987 OPC BOX BOTTOMS and OPC SHEETS

First- an apology about slowing down on the writing. I've been sick recently and its shown in everything I usually do- sorry about this slowness. Hoping to catch up in the next week or so on the writing and personal stuff. Dropped 15 lbs in 2 weeks- not in a healthy way either. Have been very tired So I apologize to everyone involved I'll catch up this week to what I need to.

[MENTION=4047]mrmopar[/MENTION] and [MENTION=5090]oiccup41[/MENTION]- on the Linnett large sized - I'll refrain from comments until the post when I locate them. I do have info for you about the variations. Just for another day. And the poster with the Burger Chef items (NL) doesn't come up often - would love to add one if I ever see one. The poster on the 4192 website is only the 3rd poster of its type I've ever seen. All NL- none of the Triple Play I have seen have been AL.

In 1987 OPC put out numerous examples of cards and part of their promotional materials included sheets ( full sized 132 cards), partial sheets, and box bottoms. I enjoyed the box bottom items as they were a) different , b) separately numbered so a variation, and c) probably would be tossed by the average person.
    I kept a bunch around and used to cut the box bottoms, sides etc off.. The OPC sheets did not get the same attention Topps sheets did. Generally lots of off center items on them and minimal promotion of the OPC product will do that. I'd suggest picking up a sheet if you able. They were put out on a display of 3 of them with a Topps Gum promotion. You'd be encourage to purchase the gum and candy and they'd send you the sheet set up for free. You could also send in money for the sheets . I'm still looking for my OPC ad materials sorry the post will need to be truncated about the sheets. Will update later on in another post when found

Go into the album to see the sheet below full sized. Standard 132 card sheet and I believe its sheet # 3 if I remember correctly the sheet order.

I saw this on an eBay auction- like usual after it closed sadly.

After seeing this auction I went looking for my partial sheet and found my Clemens version ( I have others with Red Sox somewhere)

I then wanted to locate my box bottoms- sadly I couldn't find any available but did find my scans of them
    There were two versions of the 1987 OPC Box Bottoms

Box 1 - had cards A ( Don Baylor) B ( Steve Carlton) C ( Ron Cey) and D (Cecil Cooper)
    Box 2 - had cards E ( Rickey Henderson) F (Jim Rice) G ( Don Sutton) and H ( Dave Winfield)

This close up shows the printed promotional

And pics below of the bottom of one

FYI - if anyone cares to pic up there is a seller on eBay who has lots of the OPC box bottoms available called " canadacollect".

OPC BOX BOTTOMS

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DAY 31 - 1988 FANTASTIC SAM'S

Today's post will be about the 1988 FANTASTIC SAM'S RED SOX . I located my Boggs and some non Red Sox so will discuss this series

Fantastic Sam's as many know ( or may not if one isn't near you) is a hair salon that was started in 1974 by a guy named Sam Ross (see pic below). He had noticed barbershops had loyalty from regular customers and decided if the whole family could get it cut cheaply he'd get a whole market of people wanting his service. His first salon in Memphis TN was named " Incredible Sam's" . He began to branch out in 1976 and decided it would be easier to remember 'Fantastic Sam's" and his franchise career began with that decision. Each franchise was to be catering to kids and parents as a whole and he wanted impeccably clean places and friendly staff.

I have NO idea where the closest one was to me in the 1980's. NJ I would gander since they hadn't yet cracked New England until the 1990's.

Ad from 2008 that shows a man and woman-- strange as Fantastic Sam's was designed originally to cater to FAMILY cuts- where's the kids ???

Founder SAM ROSS at one of his original locales in Tennessee in the 1980's

In 1988 the chain decided to hold a sweepstakes contest where people could win time with a Major League ballplayer ( Sparky Anderson--Manager), an autographed ball, or a baseball cap. When people walked into the store they would be greeted during the promotion using various methods including a life sized cut out Sparky or various wall posters they could hang. Customers received an entry card that showed a ballplayer with a tab they could take off to enter the contest. People could also send in for a Fantastic Sam's wall commemorative poster as well. As with almost all 1980's promotions we see Michael Shecter Associates (MSA) was involved. Strangely folks when we say its a small world it really is-- Sam Ross died the same year / time frame as Sparky Anderson did ( 2010). What a coincidence !!

Below is my Boggs card with the entry form tab still attached along with a few others ( I own a bunch of whole sets)

Sometimes you will see a white square version sold ( BA Murry sells these under "BAMCARDS" on eBay)

Those square items are all cut off from the below poster that can be found regularly on eBay and elsewhere

Some of the wall mounted posters from the promotion are below

A full sized Sparky cutout was for sale a while ago. Need lots of space for this one !!

And for those who may remember the commercials- 1980's Sparky promo !!

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny thought on the ad you posted with no kids included. I was in Orlando for Navy bootcamp and schooling from Nov 87-Mar 89 and we were told that Orange Blossom Trail was essentially OFF LIMITS to Navy personnel. Now, obviously they couldn't control personnel access to places off the bases, but if you just happened to be caught there or worse yet, got in trouble while at an establishment on the OBT, you were apparently going to be in deep doo doo!

I never paid close enough attention to realize Fantastic Sam's was a hair place. I guess I took the lazy route and assumed it was a food chain or maybe even an early name for Sam's Club Shopping Warehouses. With all of the similar discs in that time frame and no player to collect in any of those sets, I kind of tuned these out for the most part.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double posted, but might as well use the space now for an added thought. Consider if they were strict and only handed out one disc per customer, per visit, imagine how hard these may be to collect in set form. Odds are folks would not be paying for a haircut every couple of days just to get a baseball card. It could take a year or more to get all of them, especially if you were not getting 3-4 or more cuts at a time as a family. However, most of these disc issues seem to be incredibly easy to find even after 30 years!
    Last edited by mrmopar; 10-25-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are three Sam's salons still in the Boston area. I've never heard of them. Something different a hair salon having a baseball card set.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DAY 32- 1992 STARLINE PROTOYPE PLUS MORE

Today's post is about the 1992 STARLINE PROTOYPE PLUS MORE Red Sox items- in this case my 1992 Roger Clemens Red Sox items.

As many may know in the late 1980's a company called Starline created a series of promotional items out of Richmond Hill NY 11418. In reality this company was Canadian based out of Ontario, Canada and specialized in plastics and promotional items used from plastics and other materials. We all hopefully remember the late 1980's Starline Promos ( if you don't say so I'll do a post on them). These promo's were for various food companies and involved sports cards, posters, cups, bottles,etc. I even saw key rings and other plastics related Starline promotional items. A salesman would move around, depending on their areas, with a book of mini posters that showed the various promotional items being offered. Somewhere I have my mini-Red Sox Starline poster sheet. Anyways they used the order sheets and back ordered a set of items for people to use. Many were prototypes to show companies what an item would look like and just a few examples of them may exist. Some were mass produced with hundreds of thousands.

In 1992 several of the newest Starline items cropped up at the East Coat National I attended and I immediately snatched them up. One was a ticket style item that came with a matching hologram. The base items had the authentix "full tickets" with the Silver Star Holograms had a print run of 175,000 total- rather small for those early 1990's days. The harder to locate Jumbo Prototypes were even more rare - as you can see from my Clemens below just 1,000 copies for all of America which was an unheard of low production run in those days. Many of them also included an Ad card promoting the item- the ad card was mass produced and several tens of thousands are floating around.

They made several other players during 1991/92 including Nolan Ryan, Will Clark, Darryl Strawberry, and David Justice to name a few ( can show pics if you care. The Clemens ticket, ad, promo card and Prototype shown below are all from 1992. You'll see they are called " Field of Vision". This was the promotions name.

I've had the below ad slabbed for years haven't gotten around to the holo card or the jumbo yet. Big pics as always available in the album itself

The authentix ticket and actual card are below

And lastly the Jumbo ProtoType limited in production to just 1,000 examples

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife managed to get me a Clemens ticket and 3D card. Cool stuff.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DAY 33- 1987 CLASSIC YELLOW/GREEN BACKS

Today's short post is about the 1987 CLASSIC YELLOW WITH GREEN BACK RED SOX. I may touch on other years later on but this particular first series is of interest since I came across a few items of course cleaning up.

One of my favorite late 80's early 90's items , I particularly enjoyed buying a board game series called "Classic Baseball Major League Trivia Board Game". They were produced initially by a company called "Game Time LTD" out of Alabama in 1987 It was considered highly unusual for a toy company to be involved in the sports hobby and the first years offering came thru toy hobby channels as opposed to the sports memorabilia channels. "Supposedly" just 75,000 sets were produced that first year of the green card first production. Little did the hobby know of what was to come. I did a bunch of research and this company never legally existed. I even checked under the business alias file and no such company name ever registered properly. This was not unusual back then and I'd love to have a conversation one day with Ken Goldin on who he dealt with to buy the company.

This business came to the attention of two of the hobbies largest buyers at the time and people I was highly familiar with due to my age being the same as the son-- Paul and Ken Goldin. They decided to purchase the business after seeing the initial 1987 offering blossom into a huge lucrative market and in April of 1988 completed the purchase under his "Score Board Inc" corporate umbrella with a 3rd individual who was a friend of the fathers- Arthur Sherman. Score Board FYI had just started just 2 years prior in 1986 as a business so this was a pretty aggressive move they made. Rather than include all the players the culled out just stars and semi stars with a bunch of hot rookies included. As folks would later see in later additions this was acknowledged in the packaging ( see below)

The 1987 Classic Yellow board game update was very easy to play. You spun a wheel and it gave you choices to choose which trivia level you'd me playing at and would determine either what type of hit you had or whether you scored an immediate run or not. Pics below of the spinner and board. You kept score and it was 9 innings with 3 outs a side- same as regular baseball so even young kids could play easily.

As to be expected with approval from both Major League Baseball's property department people and the MLB Players association the usage of baseball players on the cards created an instant hit within the hobby. Due to the unusual channels of distribution-- that being a supposed toy manufacturer instead of a company like Topps, Donruss, or Fleer = you can imagine the types of issues that would occur in production runs. Even when the Goldin's purchased it several errors cropped up.

One of the first I noticed in 1987 involved the Yellow Travel Update Baseball set. Some of the items showed yellow backs ( correct back) and some showed green backs ( incorrect back). Whether this was by design or a true manufacturing error those collectors who liked chasing different variations of cards of their players enjoyed the
    challenge of locating the wrong back. Now this was pre-internet craze folks-- you had to travel to shows in many cases to even know the variations existed- or read a Beckett Magazine Error and Variation column put out by Rich Klein. I remember seeing dozens of people with Beckett's at shows looking for the green backed yellow cards. The big rookies back then were Cory Snyder and Wally Joyner = and they got totally eclipsed by the new sensation Bo Jackson !!!!
    I wanted the set for the Boggs and Clemens of course !!

Below is the Classic Green set we are all familiar with seeing. These cards possessed a green front and green back ( big pics in the album as always)

Below is a pic of the travel YELLOW set. These cards all possessed Yellow fronts and yellow backs

Pics of the Clemens and Boggs yellow with Green backs and my Clemens Graded cards from the Yellow series
    If I ever come across my slabs again will re-scan them to show the backs. I have always LOVED this Boggs card. As most everyone knows Boggs nickname was the " Chicken Man" as he ate healthy and chicken was his favorite pre-game meal The fact he was nice enough and playful enough to pose with a chicken shows how he really was as opposed to the media version of a guy internally dead

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DAY 34- 1988 KING B DISCS

Today's post is going to cover the KING B DISC RED SOX. Was able to locate my 1988 Clemens ,1989 Boggs, and a bunch of other non Red Sox from the very first series. Pick your poison folks they followed the same principles in every years promotions that King B had with a few variations on distribution methods

King B Jerky was established in 1968 in a small slaughterhouse in Idaho Falls, Idaho by a guy named Roger Ball as he wanted King B to be the first modern company to market "steak jerky" Jerky was created when meat would be cut into strips, flavored and then cured. Those who live in rural areas with lots of plains, forests, & mountains and not near a major city would know that weather will cause meat to go bad in a hurry. By curing the meats of various animals, hunters and the average citizen wouldn't have to worry about how long the meat sat ,as it was cured for long term use. Packaged into sealed containers this stuff will last quite a while. I know I used beef jerky on hunting trips and many field exercises when in the Marines in the late 70's early 80's. I saw elk and other jerky's as well but preferred the taste of beef.

Anyways the company basically stayed put solely in the Idaho area while it developed a local following. In 1974 Mr Ball went to an industry trade show called the '"Taylor Chip Show" in an effort to begin to nationalize the brand. From 1974 thru the early 1980's he began attending various trade shows to get more National interest in the King B jerky brands. One of the more fortuitous meetings probably occurred when they contacted MSA to market their product . The baseball craze really hit in the early 1980's with card stores popping up everywhere and Mr Ball wanted to get kids eating his jerky also. I began hearing about these discs at shows in early 1989 as BA Murry was a long time Beckett contributor and he had written about this series for Beckett magazine. I began searching shows and discovered the first series cards and a sheet.

The 1988 King-B baseball set consisted of 24 players on 2-3/4” diameter discs distributed individually inside King-B Jerky Stuff (beef jerky). Michael Schechter Associates ( MSA) as always teamed with the MLB Player’s Association as usual. You could send in for a sheet as is usually the case in any MSA promotion. The items that were put into the ' Jerky Stuff " will have a darker hue. The ones cut from sheets, the proofs, and any sheet cut squares will show a brighter white. The paper was changed in ensuing years so 1990 and later will show more white than the first 2 years will due to how they became distributed. Many sets from 1990 forward never saw packaging. When buying any 1988 and 1989 King B stuff I prefer a cream color in my items.

Eventually King B Jerky became King B Inc in 2001 and was finally purchased by natural item producer Golden Valley in the late 2010 time frame. I've yet to check into the newer company to see their promotions but I'm sure we haven't ha dteh last of King B discs !!

I can't locate my personal sheets but did locate a bunch of discs along with some saved pics on the distribution methods

First my disc of Roger Clemens from 1988 King B and Wade Boggs from 1989 King B I located are below
    I am sure I have dozens of sets and sheets of different years buried in my storage units

The cards came in two types of packages the first couple years- tin cans of jerky stuff like the picture below that were used every year- and in the pictured bag. No other way the first two years.They'd have had to bypass the production lines to do so. I'm sure that occurred but its obvious by a lack of cream coloring which were bypassed.

Many sellers merely shoved the TIN counter displays out there. I am using a football example but the baseball ones I remember were similar in shape and said BASEBALL on the fronts as opposed to football.

Below is an example of the first years sheet - there are sheets for every year as MSA would always produce them as displays in multiple thousands.

And here are some of the loose 1988 KING B's I located around my apartment
    Life sized pics as always in my albums

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following in the footsteps of those before them, but instead of actually using adult products, they used SIMILAR packaging of food and gum products to get kids to buy the stuff and be more adult-like. Probably considered quite shifty nowadays, I remember the candy cigarettes they used to sell (no cards with those). The King B Jerky Stuff was an obvious rip off of the smokeless tobacco products sold in similar round cans (Copenhagen, etc) as I remember acting like it was tobacco myself when I ate it and of course, Big League Chew sold in a pouch that looked and was marketed very much like the early pouch tobacco products (Red Man, etc). Still, I would like to see a return of that kind of marketing where cards are featured in a variety of products, maybe just not the adult products like alcohol and tobacco.

It seems that many of these promotions were popular and had to have helped sales, yet they have just about all but vanished. Perhaps it just became too costly to use a MLB logo or player likeness to market low end food products?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DAY 35 - 1986 / 87 SPORTFLICS RED SOX PROMOS

Today's post is going to concern the 1986 & 1987 SPORTFLICS PROMO pieces specifically my Red Sox related items from 1986 & 1987

On the back of 1970's Kellogg's cards your going to see that it refers to " Xograph "in the lower left corner of many of the cards. Very, very, very interesting choice of a name wouldn't you think? See below for the back pic of my 1971 Reggie Smith Red Sox card

As the mind tends to wander we sometimes ask ourselves " Why would anyone name their product Xograph"?? Well folks- now that you've wondered wonder no more. The “X” was for parallax, which is found in all forms of photography, while “graph” was short hand for the Latin word " graphicus" which means “to write". Parallax photography is intended to use our eyes own focus methods to visually manipulate light so when seen from different angles items will show different views. Understand now why they called it Xograph ?? Its a form of visually presenting a series of pictures so people can hold any item at different angles and get many views. To be honest its what holds young children's fascination and results in things like astronomy degrees and engineering students.

I'll refrain from further discussion on the lenticular technology used = but lets just say its "eye" bending and will come later in a Kellogg's post.

We began to see more of these Xograph items in the early 1970's-mid 80's Kellogg's cards.
    Fast forward now to the mid 1980's. After a lull of several years when Kellogg's stopped including the cards in boxes of cereal= along comes Sportflics

These items were produced by a company called "Optigraphics" that was an off shoot of early 1960's adventures in "lenticular" printing methods. Optigraphics was a marketer of products designed specifically around the lenticular printing processes. Sportflics was the chosen name of an Optigraphics adventure that took the "lenticular" process and perfected it to the point where 3 photos were visible when viewing the items. One showed a head shot and the others action poses.They were referred to as a "Triple Action Magic Motion" cards and Optigraphics trademarked the idea on March 22, 1976. At the time Ann Flavin was running Optigraphics. Optigraphics had already been involved in the sports hobby area for numerous years-- you'd recognize them in early 1980's Cracker Jack prizes but most of all in the Seven-Eleven 1980's coins !!! But to be blunt the same methods were used years earlier in the Kellogg's series. On those coins I'll do a post alter as well ( sorry lots of tie ins folks have to keep stuff in order)

In 1986 and 1987 Optigraphics decided to produce a set of items for the baseball masses called "Sportflics". I remember people screaming bloody murder at the cost. They came in sturdy foil packaging but where other cards cost 25-30 cents a pack these were 45 cents. I remember no less than Keith Olberman hammering them about cost .The set itself had a bunch of Clemens cards that I collected but what really interested me was the promotional "gimmicky" pieces I noticed. I decided to go out and look and discovered a bunch of items of players/teams I had interest in and purchased them.

The first are very familiar. The 4 in 1 panels we all know about and the Jumbo discs. The discs were produced late in 1986 but were distributed in 1987 mainly.

The last set below isn't readily seen and would only interest team collectors but they are called " Team Logo Panels". You'll find them scattered about on eBay and elsewhere. Frankly it amazes me that a promo piece can be hard to find but the Team Logos aren't readily seen and the ones I see are insanely cheap. Oh well- its the type of thing where years later people wonder why they can't locate stuff. 3 of the 4 panels had Red Sox logos so I kept the whole set.

Of note to those of you who do " cameos" of your player- I'd suggest you READ the backs of the Team Logo panels- little hint. I happen to also know other sportflic sets that have these little "cameo" mentions most player collectors gloss over. Go into my album as always for full sized.

Pics below of each version for the masses.

FOUR IN ONE DEALER PANEL- Mattingly (1) / Clemens (10) / Schmidt (30) / Raines (34)

SUPERSIZED DISC

FOUR IN ONE TEAM LOGO PANELS

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast