Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Should I keep it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Howdy all,

I have a situation I would like your collective advice on. I value the thoughts from the community greatly!

So, I recently purchased a 1998 Stadium Club First Day Issue #'d /200 card of Mark McGwire. Won the listing for $13 shipped. Pretty pleased with final price, as I was hoping to nail a copy for around $15. I think most of you who collect players from this general era know that these are tricky to find. There may be 200 copies, but they rarely seem to pop up, likely due to the only subtle differences between them and the base cards. So, while not an expensive card, I pain to find.

Received a few days ago, safe and sound. Now, I took the card out of the toploader and penny sleeve, so I could put it in a nice fresh set for my PC. I notice a few flaws not mentioned in the listing. Not putting this on the seller at all, they are not so very obvious, especially because the card came in a semi-scuffed up penny sleeve and semi-scuffed up toploader, making them difficult to identify. See pictures here;

IMG_20180909_135143376_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180909_135249484.jpg

I circled the issues in red. Indent in the middle of the card, creasing at the top as well as creasing on the back, that runs half way down. All in all, not the worst thing in the world, but not a copy I'd like to have in my PC. I am torn between what to do; keep or return. If I keep, I will try and find an upgrade at some point, but nice to have a copy in the interim. I contacted the seller about a partial refund and he was receptive to the thought. He is offering to return $3, which would make my total purchase $10. I am mulling it over now. Let me know what you guys think!!!

Cheers,
Mark

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Those seem like fairly large flaws to miss. I'd contact the seller and see what they think. If its a PC card, a partial sounds like a fair deal

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
for me if I collect the player I would keep it and go with the 3 dollar refund and keep on searching. Like you said just a filler until you find one. You have to figure. of the 200 prob. only 150 got pulled from packs. about 90 went into personal collections over the years so that that doesn't leave much around. Now you have to wait for someone to kill there personal collection to grab another...

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Yes, those are pretty big flaws. I would hope that a seller would at least take the card out of the toploader to examine the condition through the penny sleeve, if not out of the sleeve, too. I've got several of those cards that have indentations that weren't mentioned in the listing, but they were $1-$2 cards so I didn't worry about the flaw.

I think a $3 refund is fair unless it's going to really bother you until you can find a replacement. Personally, you can probably make more on it if he gets into the HOF either by BBWAA vote or that "era" committee, or whatever they call it.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
that sucks!

when i buy raw cards, the second thing i do is remove them from their packaging and inspect them

take the $3 and grab another copy when it shows up

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I'd also keep it. I had trouble finding the same card for my Wakefield collection so I would keep it and if a good deal on a new one pops grab it. Down the road I'm sure you'll find another player collector starving for a copy and willing to take that one.

delsant2

May 29, 2010
Hey all,

Thanks SO much for the replies. Seems like I have more votes for keep vs return. I was leaning that way as well, although I wouldn't have spent as much had I known of the condition. I will definitely replace it when I can and I am sure I will be able to wind up selling the other (not for as much as I paid, but still, something). Anyways, thanks again for your help, always appreciated!

Cheers,
Mark

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Definitely take the partial refund and keep it then hunt for an upgrade. I'm still looking for the Jeff Frye for my collection. They just don't come up that often.

Members online