User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can this ball be real?

zc3009
    Mentioned
    346 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a collector of signed baseballs, I'd say that is an official 1980 World Series baseball. They make them every year and they are readily available as they sell them as souvenirs and for autograph collectors. They still use baseballs with special logos for the postseason, ASG, and other events that a team is celebrating (number retirement, hall of fame, anniversary years, etc.). They used the pink, blue, and green laced balls for one or two years for Mother's Day, Father's Day, and Memorial Day, but there were complaints about not being able to pick up the ball as well due to the different colored laces. They had also used red/blue laces for 4th of July. Generally for the ASG, they have used colored laces representative of the host team colors.

Xeo2099
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkzac View Post
    As a collector of signed baseballs, I'd say that is an official 1980 World Series baseball. They make them every year and they are readily available as they sell them as souvenirs and for autograph collectors. They still use baseballs with special logos for the postseason, ASG, and other events that a team is celebrating (number retirement, hall of fame, anniversary years, etc.). They used the pink, blue, and green laced balls for one or two years for Mother's Day, Father's Day, and Memorial Day, but there were complaints about not being able to pick up the ball as well due to the different colored laces. They had also used red/blue laces for 4th of July. Generally for the ASG, they have used colored laces representative of the host team colors.
    Thanks for all this information.

zc3009
    Mentioned
    346 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdammt View Post
    I only have one ASG ball in my collection, but hope to get more of the Twins ASG participants on theres. In fact, I only have 5 specialty balls in the collection at the moment, with 3 of them being signed under the logo, where I prefer for them to be signed.

The Altuve ASG ball is mine, then I also attached an image of a ball that was used in the 1991 World Series and is signed by Jack Morris. Keep in mind, the WS ball is game used, hence the ball being rubbed with mud.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inCollage_20180919_155215017.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	83299Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180604_124009.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	83300

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

zc3009
    Mentioned
    346 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, if you check out the MLB Game Used Facebook group, many people on there collect game used baseballs. There are a few guys that seem to try and get every commemorative ball that is used in MLB within a year. For example, this year the Rockies, A's, Rays, and Royals have all used baseballs to commemorate anniversary seasons all year long. Other teams like the Tigers have used commemorative baseballs for the games in which they have retired jersey numbers (Morris and Trammell)

Xeo2099
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkzac View Post
    Also, if you check out the MLB Game Used Facebook group, many people on there collect game used baseballs. There are a few guys that seem to try and get every commemorative ball that is used in MLB within a year. For example, this year the Rockies, A's, Rays, and Royals have all used baseballs to commemorate anniversary seasons all year long. Other teams like the Tigers have used commemorative baseballs for the games in which they have retired jersey numbers (Morris and Trammell)
    I'm going to have to check that group out. Do they trade and sell on there?

zc3009
    Mentioned
    346 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to have to check that group out. Do they trade and sell on there?

All the time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am looking to make trades here, i do my buying at ebay

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wanted to chime in on this. Iím not an expert, but hereís what I understand. The 1980 World Series ball shown here is an official Rawlings baseball. It should be nearly identical to the ones released in 1980. The logo is the same, Bowie Kuhnís stamped signature is on it, etc. It is essentially the same ball, except itís not 38 years old.

Ok, so what gives?

Rawlings just last year started re-releasing old World Series and All Star balls. The main reason is that there is a huge collectible market for these balls for autograph signings. There is money to be made for Rawlings if thereís a signing coming up with Mike Schmidt or Bob Boone or Garry Maddox and thereís only one ball ion EBay and itís yellow and costs $1,000.

Usually ďcommemorativeĒ balls arenít real leather and are cheaper. This is a real ball.

Not sure why you originally looked into it. If itís for signing purposes or just display, it looks legit. This is a nice option.

Hope that helps.

arturohillo
     arturohillo
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread brings up a question I've had lately (sorry for hijacking your topic), those balls with the different colored laces (pink for Mother's Day, light blue for Father's Day, two colors for the All-Star games), they are also just commemorative balls and aren't actually intended to be used in games?
    They are the same baseballs that are used that day
    Edgar Gonzalez Collection: - the 1/1's: 108/111 (97.3%) Have 12 1/1s out of 29
    Jorge Cantu Collection: 487 / 688 (70.78%), 58 1/1s (14 non plates)
    - the 1/1's: 429/443 (96.84%)
    Total Mexican Collection: 4,326
    Mexican autographs: 129/130 and on baseballs 118/130

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12