Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

can this ball be real?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I'd lean towards fake. That ball for 38 years old looks too good. You'd expect to see some kind of toning. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd lean on the side of caution.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I'd lean towards fake. That ball for 38 years old looks too good. You'd expect to see some kind of toning. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd lean on the side of caution.

Wouldn't it also have been rubbed down with mud if it was going to be used in a game?

Verdammt

Feb 4, 2014
Wichita, KS
This thread brings up a question I've had lately (sorry for hijacking your topic), those balls with the different colored laces (pink for Mother's Day, light blue for Father's Day, two colors for the All-Star games), they are also just commemorative balls and aren't actually intended to be used in games?

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
i'd reply with that link.

lol what a dude.

I did lol. Here is the conversation
1st I sent this:
"Is this a replica or a accual ball made for the games? also any documentation?"
he replied
"Official game ball.
No documentation"

then I came here and saw that link and sent it to him
me
"seems these are replicas. You can get them here.
https://www.mlbshop.com/philadelphia-phillies/1980-mlb-world-series-baseball/t-25125590+p-4642026179978+z-9-412478688"
Him
"Same baseballs"

So he just admitted they are not real.... lol

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So if someone rubbed it down a little, is there a way to tell it wasn't made in 1980? Any different markings? Seems like it would be easy to claim it was a foul ball.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I think they did make balls with different laces and stamps for All-Star Game and playoffs, but they don't anymore? I could be, and probably am, wrong. I remember something about that when they started, maybe 20 years ago, that the extra stamp made the spin of the ball more visible. Or if it had gold laces instead of red the spin was less visible. Either way pitchers and hitters complained.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I did lol. Here is the conversation
1st I sent this:
"Is this a replica or a accual ball made for the games? also any documentation?"
he replied
"Official game ball.
No documentation"

then I came here and saw that link and sent it to him
me
"seems these are replicas. You can get them here.
https://www.mlbshop.com/philadelphia-phillies/1980-mlb-world-series-baseball/t-25125590+p-4642026179978+z-9-412478688"
Him
"Same baseballs"

So he just admitted they are not real.... lol

it's probably that he does not understand the difference.

He's probably not being nefarious, just dosen't know what the terms mean.

rocuan

Mar 24, 2009
Went to your site. Saw the 68 Phillies want list. I have two of them for sale 7 NL ERA, 11 NL SO. Let me know if interested.
Roland

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
As a collector of signed baseballs, I'd say that is an official 1980 World Series baseball. They make them every year and they are readily available as they sell them as souvenirs and for autograph collectors. They still use baseballs with special logos for the postseason, ASG, and other events that a team is celebrating (number retirement, hall of fame, anniversary years, etc.). They used the pink, blue, and green laced balls for one or two years for Mother's Day, Father's Day, and Memorial Day, but there were complaints about not being able to pick up the ball as well due to the different colored laces. They had also used red/blue laces for 4th of July. Generally for the ASG, they have used colored laces representative of the host team colors.

Verdammt

Feb 4, 2014
Wichita, KS
As a collector of signed baseballs, I'd say that is an official 1980 World Series baseball. They make them every year and they are readily available as they sell them as souvenirs and for autograph collectors. They still use baseballs with special logos for the postseason, ASG, and other events that a team is celebrating (number retirement, hall of fame, anniversary years, etc.). They used the pink, blue, and green laced balls for one or two years for Mother's Day, Father's Day, and Memorial Day, but there were complaints about not being able to pick up the ball as well due to the different colored laces. They had also used red/blue laces for 4th of July. Generally for the ASG, they have used colored laces representative of the host team colors.

Thanks for all this information.

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
I only have one ASG ball in my collection, but hope to get more of the Twins ASG participants on theres. In fact, I only have 5 specialty balls in the collection at the moment, with 3 of them being signed under the logo, where I prefer for them to be signed.

The Altuve ASG ball is mine, then I also attached an image of a ball that was used in the 1991 World Series and is signed by Jack Morris. Keep in mind, the WS ball is game used, hence the ball being rubbed with mud.inCollage_20180919_155215017.jpeg20180604_124009.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010

Also, if you check out the MLB Game Used Facebook group, many people on there collect game used baseballs. There are a few guys that seem to try and get every commemorative ball that is used in MLB within a year. For example, this year the Rockies, A's, Rays, and Royals have all used baseballs to commemorate anniversary seasons all year long. Other teams like the Tigers have used commemorative baseballs for the games in which they have retired jersey numbers (Morris and Trammell)

Verdammt

Feb 4, 2014
Wichita, KS
Also, if you check out the MLB Game Used Facebook group, many people on there collect game used baseballs. There are a few guys that seem to try and get every commemorative ball that is used in MLB within a year. For example, this year the Rockies, A's, Rays, and Royals have all used baseballs to commemorate anniversary seasons all year long. Other teams like the Tigers have used commemorative baseballs for the games in which they have retired jersey numbers (Morris and Trammell)
I'm going to have to check that group out. Do they trade and sell on there?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online