Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

can this ball be real?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
Wanted to chime in on this. I’m not an expert, but here’s what I understand. The 1980 World Series ball shown here is an official Rawlings baseball. It should be nearly identical to the ones released in 1980. The logo is the same, Bowie Kuhn’s stamped signature is on it, etc. It is essentially the same ball, except it’s not 38 years old.

Ok, so what gives?

Rawlings just last year started re-releasing old World Series and All Star balls. The main reason is that there is a huge collectible market for these balls for autograph signings. There is money to be made for Rawlings if there’s a signing coming up with Mike Schmidt or Bob Boone or Garry Maddox and there’s only one ball ion EBay and it’s yellow and costs $1,000.

Usually “commemorative” balls aren’t real leather and are cheaper. This is a real ball.

Not sure why you originally looked into it. If it’s for signing purposes or just display, it looks legit. This is a nice option.

Hope that helps.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
This thread brings up a question I've had lately (sorry for hijacking your topic), those balls with the different colored laces (pink for Mother's Day, light blue for Father's Day, two colors for the All-Star games), they are also just commemorative balls and aren't actually intended to be used in games?

They are the same baseballs that are used that day

Members online

Latest posts